Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How to cover countertops for pesach-non disposable options?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 6:38 pm
Okay, I know purim is only just over, but I am starting to think about what I need to purchase for pesach.
This is our first year making pesach in our own house and I want to look at investing in some more permanent things. I'm buying a pesach oven and will slowly add to what I need. I know I need to start thinking about these things as if I need to buy, it might take time for them to come.
What I'm looking for is a way to easily cover my countertops, and I can then store it for next year. Previously, we've always done the kasher and cover, which takes ages (mainly because dh doesn't get around to it) and I was hoping there is a better method.
Ideally, I'd love like another countertop that fits on top of my current ones, except I don't want an actual countertop as it would be too thick.
Has anyone got any solutions that they use?

amother
Kiwi

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 8:24 pm
My mom has some Lino that she bought and cut to the exact shape of our kitchen countertops with cut outs for the sink and hobs,
She has them for years about 12 years and every year it just needs to be wiped down and rolled up it’s really easy, there are two rolls because her kitchen is L shaped so one roll for each wall of the kitchen.
I also know people who have a second set of countertops that go over the regular ones but I guess it ends up being very thick.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 8:26 pm
amother [ Kiwi ] wrote:
My mom has some Lino that she bought and cut to the exact shape of our kitchen countertops with cut outs for the sink and hobs,
She has them for years about 12 years and every year it just needs to be wiped down and rolled up it’s really easy, there are two rolls because her kitchen is L shaped so one roll for each wall of the kitchen.

They curl. Not a fun option.

amother
Kiwi

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 8:27 pm
amother [ Poinsettia ] wrote:
They curl. Not a fun option.

My mom always managed to keep them flat.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 8:59 pm
I use blechs

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 9:13 pm
Do you have someplace to store large flat pieces? I have water-resistant wallboard cut to size to place on top of my counters. You could also get Formica or something similar. Traditional countertop material (other than solid granite etc) is actually very thin. Store against a wall or under furniture.

mommy9

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 9:56 pm
Wooden boards the size of the counters covered with contact paper, with foil around the edges of the counters

amother
Diamond

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 10:00 pm
I use linoleum and it works great. Cut them about 7 years ago and just unroll each year. Super easy.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 10:04 pm
Find ceramic tiles that are available in multiple sizes. Lay down thick foil on the counter, put tiles on top.

My countertops are runs of 2' x 30" and I found tiles that are available in both 8" x 24" and 6" x 24".

amother
Leaf

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 10:21 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay, I know purim is only just over, but I am starting to think about what I need to purchase for pesach.
This is our first year making pesach in our own house and I want to look at investing in some more permanent things. I'm buying a pesach oven and will slowly add to what I need. I know I need to start thinking about these things as if I need to buy, it might take time for them to come.
What I'm looking for is a way to easily cover my countertops, and I can then store it for next year. Previously, we've always done the kasher and cover, which takes ages (mainly because dh doesn't get around to it) and I was hoping there is a better method.
Ideally, I'd love like another countertop that fits on top of my current ones, except I don't want an actual countertop as it would be too thick.
Has anyone got any solutions that they use?

We use corrugated plastic, which is measured and cut exactly to fit the counters.

amother
Leaf

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 10:22 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I use blechs

You cover your counter with blechs?

amother
Tomato

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 10:23 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
We use corrugated plastic, which is measured and cut exactly to for the counters.

They work great and can be used for many years without being damaged.

amother
Leaf

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 10:24 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:

Yup, this is going to be our 6th year home (I think)

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sat, Mar 19 2022, 11:01 pm
amother [ Tomato ] wrote:

Yes we use this as well.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:11 am
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
You cover your counter with blechs?

Yes. I buy the sizes I need for each counter and it becomes my pesach surface top.

advocate

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:17 am
We had Plexiglas cut to fit. Wev'e had them for 20 + years.

Chag kasher v'sameach!

smss

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:21 am
advocate wrote:
We had Plexiglas cut to fit. Wev'e had them for 20 + years.

Chag kasher v'sameach!

Where did you get this done?

smss

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:22 am
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
We use corrugated plastic, which is measured and cut exactly to fit the counters.

You did it yourself? Or got it done somewhere?

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:22 am
Laminate sheet glued to a ¼" plywood substrate and cut to size.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:24 am
smss wrote:
You did it yourself? Or got it done somewhere?

My husband used to be in construction, so he knows how to do these things. He measured and cut himself. I wonder if maybe a place like Loews or Home Depot would come to do it for you?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics