Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I think I’ll start intermittent fasting tomorrow
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:58 am
I want to make sure I’m doing it right.
I have to loose 25 lbs and I’m stuck.
Here’s how I think I’ll do it
I’ll drink coffee with Splenda and a drop of almond milk in the morning
Until 12 I will only drink water or artificially sweetened caffeine free drinks
Food from 12-8 without indulging or eating very bad food like cake and takeout
Only water or tea with Splenda after 8

If you’ve followed this I’m I planning it right?
Also, does it matter if some days I eat 11-7 and some days 12-8?
How bad is it if I eat a slice of pizza for supper?
Any tips welcome

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:01 am
I would recommend not including the almond milk in your coffee. That can break your fast.

cbg

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:25 am
Also - Splenda will break the fast
Best way to do intermittent fasting is with the KETO diet
Otherwise it’s no different than a CICO diet
The science behind it is to allow both glucose and insulin to be at it’s lowest and then the healing can begin . I know I’m over simplifying it, but I don’t know all the medical terms.

Start out with a 14-16hr fasting window - most of this is sleeping hours.

The only food that doesn’t raise insulin (or the raise is minimal) is fat
During your fasting hours you can have pure fat and it doesn’t break your fast
How does this translate into everyday life
Bullet proof coffee
1-2 TBSP butter BLENDED into your coffee
If you like very creamy coffee you will ❤️ this
You may be able to get away with a little bit of stevia, but the only way to know is to check if it spikes your fasting glucose level with a meter .
The butter is your energy source. You need it, since you are cutting back on sugar.

8am 1 butter coffee
11 am - first meal with enough fat to keep you satisfied
3 pm second meal - IF NEEDED
6:30 last meal with enough fat to keep you satisfied
Finish eating before 7pm
Adjust the timing to fit your schedule
Keep carbs (even in fruits and vegetables) as low as you can
Fats as high as you can (extremely important as this is your energy source)
Go moderate with the protein
Drink lots of water
Include electrolytes- sodium, magnesium, potassium

Don’t be discouraged if you don’t see Weightloss at first. Your body needs to heal
Your body will use its energy for repair rather than Weightloss. As soon as it is healthier the weight will start to come off.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:31 am
If you're going to fill the intermittent fasting with diet drinks it's not going to work. I was told that it breaks the fast. I do put a splash of almond milk and I was told if it's less than 30 calories it's okay. And even if it does Spike insulin for a tiny bit it will go down quickly. I really just put it in for the color and it's probably only about 15 calories. I've been doing it intermittent fasting for a few months. Was not trying to lose a lot of weight just a few pounds. I haven't gotten the scale but my clothes were definitely fitting me better and I overall feel better.

cbg

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 11:40 am
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:
If you're going to fill the intermittent fasting with diet drinks it's not going to work. I was told that it breaks the fast. I do put a splash of almond milk and I was told if it's less than 30 calories it's okay. And even if it does Spike insulin for a tiny bit it will go down quickly. I really just put it in for the color and it's probably only about 15 calories. I've been doing it intermittent fasting for a few months. Was not trying to lose a lot of weight just a few pounds. I haven't gotten the scale but my clothes were definitely fitting me better and I overall feel better.

It’s probably even less calories
1 cup is 35 calories
1/4 cup 9 calories

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:18 pm
When I googled almond milk for intermittent fasting it says that if you’re using less than 1/3 of a cup it’s okay.
I did not read anywhere about eating food with very high fat. It sounds like a different program.
I was thinking about incorporating the weight watchers program with intermittent fasting so I don’t go overboard during the 8 hours of eating.

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 12:49 pm
There are different opinions on whether or not you can have coffee with fat. I've seen it written that even a bullet-proof coffee breaks the fasting state and pushes one into a fasting-mimicking state.

Also, intermittent fasting combined with keto was too hard for me; I need my fruits. I actually started losing more after I stopped keto. But I do get more hungry.

OP: Experiment. Figure out what works best for you.

cbg

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 1:22 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
There are different opinions on whether or not you can have coffee with fat. I've seen it written that even a bullet-proof coffee breaks the fasting state and pushes one into a fasting-mimicking state.

Also, intermittent fasting combined with keto was too hard for me; I need my fruits. I actually started losing more after I stopped keto. But I do get more hungry.

OP: Experiment. Figure out what works best for you.

I also lost better on low carb vs keto
BUT
I was leaner on keto
For me the weight was pushing down on my knee joints too much to the point I’m extremely bow legged now.

This is very informative
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=10F_ie3TGPM

cbg

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 1:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
When I googled almond milk for intermittent fasting it says that if you’re using less than 1/3 of a cup it’s okay.
I did not read anywhere about eating food with very high fat. It sounds like a different program.
I was thinking about incorporating the weight watchers program with intermittent fasting so I don’t go overboard during the 8 hours of eating.

So then you just want to use it as CICO- calories in -calories out diet
Intermittent fasting can also be used therapeutically for many diseases

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 10:47 am
I think everyone needs to be careful.
I have a friend who did fasting at one point, now she eats very very little, isn't usually hungry and is not losing weight (she's eating way under 1000 calories per day)
I'm wondering if her metabolism is traumatized or something...

Not_in_my_town

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 11:09 am
That's why it's so important to always stay between 1200-1500 calories minimum. It prevents a person from falling into starvation mode.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 11:12 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:
I have a friend who did fasting at one point, now she eats very very little, isn't usually hungry and is not losing weight (she's eating way under 1000 calories per day)

Basically that's what happens. Your body adjusts very quickly. Could be if you exercise then weight would still come off

amother
Narcissus

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 11:21 am
amother [ Crimson ] wrote:

Wow, is she at goal weight already though?

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 11:40 am
cbg wrote:
Also - Splenda will break the fast
Best way to do intermittent fasting is with the KETO diet
Otherwise it’s no different than a CICO diet
The science behind it is to allow both glucose and insulin to be at it’s lowest and then the healing can begin . I know I’m over simplifying it, but I don’t know all the medical terms.

Start out with a 14-16hr fasting window - most of this is sleeping hours.

The only food that doesn’t raise insulin (or the raise is minimal) is fat
During your fasting hours you can have pure fat and it doesn’t break your fast
How does this translate into everyday life
Bullet proof coffee
1-2 TBSP butter BLENDED into your coffee
If you like very creamy coffee you will ❤️ this
You may be able to get away with a little bit of stevia, but the only way to know is to check if it spikes your fasting glucose level with a meter .
The butter is your energy source. You need it, since you are cutting back on sugar.

8am 1 butter coffee
11 am - first meal with enough fat to keep you satisfied
3 pm second meal - IF NEEDED
6:30 last meal with enough fat to keep you satisfied
Finish eating before 7pm
Adjust the timing to fit your schedule
Keep carbs (even in fruits and vegetables) as low as you can
Fats as high as you can (extremely important as this is your energy source)
Go moderate with the protein
Drink lots of water
Include electrolytes- sodium, magnesium, potassium

Don’t be discouraged if you don’t see Weightloss at first. Your body needs to heal
Your body will use its energy for repair rather than Weightloss. As soon as it is healthier the weight will start to come off.

What’s the best way to blend coffee? I’ve had two milk frothers that worked well but they both broke. Any other ideas?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 11:43 am
I was doing it for 2 weeks and only lost 2 lbs the first few days
It became too hard for me to stick with it as my schedule changed and I was busy and out of the house a lot. I think I was eating a little too much during the 8 hours. I think the most important thing is to limit food when it comes to weight loss. I’m trying to be careful now. I’m not doing the intermittent fasting but I just lost 1 more lb. I’ll try something different after pesach. I really do need to loose at least 10 lbs

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 1:26 pm
How does it work? Doesn't the metabolism just slow down and adjust to not needing as much food but doesn't necessarily mean that fat will be burned and one will lose weight?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 1:39 pm
Funny you bumped this today because I decided to give it another try
I gained too much recently.
I cannot stick with the standard intermittent fasting because I’m the type who wakes up hungry. Sometimes very hungry.
So I decided that today I will try again.
I drank coffee with stevia and a splash of unsweetened almond milk. I filled up a water bottle and drank that. I told myself if I still feel starving I will have more coffee and water. I planned on doing this until 11:30.
Turns out I was very busy this morning and didn’t eat until 12:30.
I didn’t drink that second coffee.
I hope I can stick with this.
Even if I am officially breaking my fast I still think what I’m doing should hopefully help with some weight loss.
I hope to take a brief walk 3x a week.
I know shabbos will be a problem…

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 2:31 pm
Good luck!!

I've found Intermittent fasting to be an amazing tool for maintaining a healthy weight and a healthy metabolism. I think of it as my 'reset' button as even if my diet isn't perfect, it keeps things from spiraling out of control and even without focusing on what I'm eating, by IF I end up eating more wholesome foods. After 16 hours of fasting I no longer crave carbs and sugar. My body wants proteins and fats and proper nourishment.

Unlike other diets, IF is supposed to improve the metabolism and ensure the body is fat adaptive ie using stored fat as fuel rather than always relying on carbs. You may not see fast results, but after IF for over a year (and then no IF for around 6 months pre and post partum) I definitely saw great results with minimal effort and without feeling deprived or like any foods were totally off limits. Once you become fat adaptive it's honestly amazing to realise how much of what we call hunger is really carb cravings. I sometimes go even longer than 16 hours as I'm genuinely not hungry. Such a great feeling, not to mention all the benefits of autophagy that happen with IF.

Hope you are successful and feel all the benefits from IF!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 3:01 pm
amother Holly wrote:
Good luck!!

I've found Intermittent fasting to be an amazing tool for maintaining a healthy weight and a healthy metabolism. I think of it as my 'reset' button as even if my diet isn't perfect, it keeps things from spiraling out of control and even without focusing on what I'm eating, by IF I end up eating more wholesome foods. After 16 hours of fasting I no longer crave carbs and sugar. My body wants proteins and fats and proper nourishment.

Unlike other diets, IF is supposed to improve the metabolism and ensure the body is fat adaptive ie using stored fat as fuel rather than always relying on carbs. You may not see fast results, but after IF for over a year (and then no IF for around 6 months pre and post partum) I definitely saw great results with minimal effort and without feeling deprived or like any foods were totally off limits. Once you become fat adaptive it's honestly amazing to realise how much of what we call hunger is really carb cravings. I sometimes go even longer than 16 hours as I'm genuinely not hungry. Such a great feeling, not to mention all the benefits of autophagy that happen with IF.

Hope you are successful and feel all the benefits from IF!!

Thank you for your words of encouragement!

I can’t really say that I didn’t crave carbs today when I broke my fast. I was actually thinking if I should eat salmon and vegetables or a sandwich and I was in the mood of the sandwich by far. Maybe eventually I won’t crave carbs. I’ll eat the salmon for supper.
I guess even if I eat the carbs it’s within moderation so hopefully I’ll lose some weight eventually.

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Apr 26 2023, 6:10 pm
I am doing intermittent fasting and have lost 16 lbs so far. It’s slow though.

But the amazing feeling of going to sleep and waking up lightweight is awesome.

On pesach I went to sleep right after the Seder and it just felt awful!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise