Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Women's megillah leinings-correcting baal korei
Previous  1  2

GLUE

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 4:10 am
My DH reads the Megillah it would never a cure to me to correct him.

Then again if he makes a mistake I probably would not notice. Never knew it was the job of the Bal Koreh wife to correct him. I always sat next to him because it was a seat that nobody else would take.

Raisin

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 6:39 am
our baal koreh made a mistake and a bunch of men and one woman corrected him. (I think it was his wife)

Its probably a good idea for a bk to ask women to correct him - they might not realise they should do so.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 8:07 am
DH was thinking of leining for his coworkers this year (didn't happen, his boss didn't want to allocate time for a reading) and I asked, "But if you do that who will correct you? I will have to shlep the kids to your work."

I always correct him multiple times each year. El/ al being one of the most common but not just that. I actually prefer it this way because I get a correct reading instead of one full of mistakes.

amother
Foxglove

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 8:07 am
GLUE wrote:

Then again if he makes a mistake I probably would not notice. Never knew it was the job of the Bal Koreh wife to correct him. I always sat next to him because it was a seat that nobody else would take.

Why?

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 8:11 am
GLUE wrote:

I definitely notice and will correct! I'd call him out on his trop too, but I'm too nice for that Wink

DH has gotten a list of common mistakes that are me'akev and reviewed it which also helps.

singleagain

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 8:23 am
My dad read for me and my mom. He actually paused at one point for his to tell him what the word was bc he wasn't sure

amother
Wallflower

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 9:40 am
I watched the Israeli show shababnikim and one of the characters there, Devorah, insisted that ladies are allowed to make their own minyan and a woman should read for them. Mind you, her chassan vehemently disagreed and they didn’t stop fighting, was pretty funny.

My question is if that is indeed so? If yes, it would be way more practical to have separate minyanim for the ladies while the men are still in shul. Saves time for everyone.

Last edited by amother on Mon, May 09 2022, 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 10:16 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I definitely notice and will correct! I'd call him out on his trop too, but I'm too nice for that Wink

DH has gotten a list of common mistakes that are me'akev and reviewed it which also helps.

Thank you!!! Everyone at your leining should appreciate you for your correcting, and your husband for taking it so seriously!!
You both share the zechus!!!

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 11:37 am
AllAlone wrote:
I watched the Israeli show shababnikim and one of the characters there, Devorah, insisted that ladies are allowed to make their own minyan and a woman should read for them. Mind you, her chassan vehemently disagreed and they didn’t stop fighting, was pretty funny.

My question is if that is indeed so? If yes, it would be way more practical to have separate minyanim for the ladies while the men are still in shul. Saves time for everyone.

There's no question that ladies can read megillah for other ladies. The only issue is a cultural issue. RW people just Don't. Similarly, women can make hamotzei and kiddush for men! Maybe not singing it because of kol isha but they can definitely say it. But they don't.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 11:40 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
There's no question that ladies can read megillah for other ladies. The only issue is a cultural issue. RW people just Don't. Similarly, women can make hamotzei and kiddush for men! Maybe not singing it because of kol isha but they can definitely say it. But they don't.

Understood. But there's something wrong when women would rather not fulfill the mitzvah than do something socially different. We shouldn't be ashamed to keep mitzvos, even when they look strange to others.

GLUE

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 1:06 pm
amother [ Foxglove ] wrote:
Why?

I have a hard time reading Hebrew, if he said something wrong I would just think I don't know the word.

goodmorning

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 1:25 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:

Although it is true that women can make kiddush and hamotzi for men, it is not as clear that women may read the megilla for other women and that the only issue is cultural. There are sources that say that women may not read the megillah for other women (maybe even for themselves) or that women leining publicly (even for women) is not appropriate.

(There is also the issue that a minyan is preferable for megilla and it's questionable as to whether ten women count.)

You can read a summary of the issues in this article (written by a woman!): https://www.deracheha.org/megilla-reading/

That's not to say that women's megilla readings are necessarily problematic, just that there are valid potential objections.

BrisketBoss

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 1:27 pm
goodmorning wrote:
(There is also the issue that a minyan is preferable for megilla and it's questionable as to whether ten women count.)

But at the 'women's readings' there is not a minyan of ten men anyway.

goodmorning

Post Sun, Mar 20 2022, 1:55 pm
BrisketBoss wrote:
But at the 'women's readings' there is not a minyan of ten men anyway.

Your post was in response to a post that suggested that it would be "way more practical to have separate minyanim for the ladies while the men are still in shul." Hence the response that in addition to the potential problems with women reading megilla, there is also the fact that it is (likely) preferable to hear megilla with a minyan of ten men and that women's megilla readings also detract from that.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics