Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Easy hack for Shabbos (or Weekday) that makes meals healthy?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 10:37 am
What's something that is super easy you find makes a difference in your meal prep that enables you to make your meals healthier? Open to all suggestions. If you are short on time but want to eat only high quality foods that you enjoy!
Thanks so much!

flmommy

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 10:41 am
Cooking Precut veges or serving raw veges

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 10:42 am
What types? What do you do with them?
Cutting vegetables yes. A little time consuming though.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 10:50 am
Frozen vegetables.
For Shabbos I use frozen green beans and just bake in oven right before Shabbos with salt and pam. Sometimes add garlic cube, frozen sautéed onions, diced shallots right before sticking in oven.

jj1236

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 2:39 pm
I make a huge salad at the beginning of the week and that way lunch prep is so much easier and I just take it out of the fridge when my kids want a snack.

sky

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 3:02 pm
I have my cleaning lady Peel my Shabbos prep and extra for the week. It costs me an hour of work and I get a ton.
So besides of lots of veggies for Shabbos I prepare ingredients we can use quickly all week
Roasted beets, sweet potatos, carrots
Apple sauce
Cut fruit

I Make a huge pot of chicken soup with lots of vegetables can be reused during the week (chicken barley soup, chicken noodle soup - with lots of veggies)

Big batch of quinoa - it lasts in fridge all week. Serve Shabbos, lunches supper sides.

Thursday night supper - poke bowls from Shabbos prep - quinoa, salmon, vegetables.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 3:10 pm
I make my own dressing in the beginning of the week. It’s obviously healthier. I change it up every week.
I make 5 minutes salads- prechecked spinach, cherry tomatoes, olives, feta, cube cooked beets in the beginning of the week ready to use, buy ready cut sweet potatoes and bake in the beginning of the week store in container in the fridge, throw in a seed mixture, cranberries, alfalfa sprouts, bean shoots, scallions… so I take about 5 components and throw it together. Yum.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 4:10 pm
Use whole wheat THIN spaghetti. Many people who can't handle whole wheat pasta are okay with this.

Using frozen vegetables.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 6:43 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I make my own dressing in the beginning of the week. It’s obviously healthier. I change it up every week.
I make 5 minutes salads- prechecked spinach, cherry tomatoes, olives, feta, cube cooked beets in the beginning of the week ready to use, buy ready cut sweet potatoes and bake in the beginning of the week store in container in the fridge, throw in a seed mixture, cranberries, alfalfa sprouts, bean shoots, scallions… so I take about 5 components and throw it together. Yum.

This sounds like a habit I need to get into. Can you give more specific instructions for prepping and storing each component?

scruffy

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 6:45 pm
I make a different healthy soup almost every Sunday and freeze supper size containers so I have a variety available at all times.

tweety1

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 7:29 pm
My kids love baby corn. I very often serve it as a side.

girlishmom

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 7:43 pm
Broccoli rice, If you're making rice throw in some frozen broccoli it will get soft and you can mix/mash it when it's done.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 7:45 pm
We love fresh roasted green beans and also broccoli florets roasted with avocado oil spray and coarse salt. Baby roasted red potatoes. Steak over a delicious salad.

amother
Starflower

Post Thu, Mar 10 2022, 7:46 pm
No prep vegetable soup in the oven. I add lentils, brown sushi rice, and frozen broccoli. Sooo good
https://frumandfrugal.com/easy.....9x13/

A_Mother_First

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 9:38 pm
Using a healthy oil to prepare meals-- like olive oil, instead of an unhealthy one, such as cottonseed oil. This makes a big difference.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 10:26 pm
Sub your sugar in the pantry for xylitol or healthy options.

By each shabbos meal we cut up lots of vegetables on a platter like cucumbers pickles tomatoes peppers lettuce etc. so that people can munch on or eat along with the proteins like fish eggs etc. Our mouth needs to move constantly better veggies than cHallah. We eat veggies with dip etc.
We also make salads.

gingleale

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 10:37 pm
I put a plate of cut up carrots, cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes on the table every night for dinner even if I am serving a cooked veggie.

I try to make a pot of pareve veggie or lentil soup on Monday and use it all week.

I always toss chopped veggies onto homemade pizza

pause

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 11:04 pm
Soups are the secret!

There are so many good things hidden in my blended soups, and it's super easy to make. Throw a bunch of ingredients together, add water, let cook. Add spices, blend, and presto! One filling dinner component done.

When I'm short on time, I'll add ground meat balls (no recipe, just form balls out of the meat) and throw them into the soup. Serve with whole wheat or sourdough bread and you've got yourself a full meal.

When I have extra time, I'll saute the vegetables first to add depth of flavor. I might chop or grate the vegetables instead of blending them at the end so that it doesn't feel like baby food.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking