Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What do you do with all the Nosh from Purim?
Previous  1  2

zaq

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 5:16 pm
amother [ Obsidian ] wrote:
My kids cherish their candies even though you don’t eat all of it. Did you see Jimmy Kimmel where parents trick their kids that they ate their Halloween candies. The kids were devastated like they lost their treasure

I saw that. It was repulsive. Not because the kids went ballistic--who could blame them?--but because it was a despicable, emotionally sadistic thing to do to children, and for what? To broadcast their distress for the entertainment of the masses. Different only in degree, not in cruel purpose, from the Roman circuses in which prisoners were pitted against wild predatory animals for the entertainment of the masses. Even though the theft did not really happen, the distress was real.

There was one boy who must have been part saint. After asking worriedly several times if every.single.piece of candy had been eaten and was nothing at all left, and being assured that this was indeed so, he gathered his forlorn dignity like a cloak and said in a forgiving tone "That's OK." What an exceptional kid, but what I think of his mother, who played this trick on him, is not printable.

naomi2

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 5:31 pm
Bnei Brak, this sounds like a big overreaction. Maybe a trigger for you. I don't consider candy food, it is actually the opposite of food because instead of nourishing the body it destroys it. So I don't have any issue throwing it out.

miami85

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 5:40 pm
My kids raided the box for like 3 days and it went all gone. Nothing was too crazy--chips, popcorn, candy.

isrmss91

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 6:30 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
It simply amazes me every time the amount of (lame) excuses that come up each time people beg and plead to try to donate to someone who do appreciate it instead of taking the oh so easy and convenient trash path.
Ever heard about בל תשחית?
This is supposed to be a frum site. Judaism emphasizes the concept of ben adam le chavero. I'm taking a long break from imamother which, unfortunately, more and more voices the message of I.Me. And Myself and My little narrow spoiled brat cubicle in which I refuse every effort to give up My comfort zone.

Shame.On.You.

Seriously?? There is also the concept of V'Nishmartem es nefasihchem. Watching your health. As far I am concerned. Eating candy is not healthy. an occasional one now and then is okay, The amount of candy, people send is obscense. The stores push all that candy prior to Purim. I don't even think candy qualifies as a MM. And as far as giving to non jews, do you think they want our garbage. Obescity and diabetes are major issues for the jewish community. Better into the garbage then into consumption for any Human Beings!! Signed someone who lost a loved one to complications due to Diabetes.

erm

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 11:37 pm
There is a kosher food pantry, The Shabbat Food Bank, in flatbush that takes all packaged, fridge/frozen foods, wine, drinks etc
1530 E14 (347-543-6776)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics