Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Do you believe in ayin hara
1  2  Next

Do you believe in ayin hara?
Yes  
 51%  [ 34 ]
No  
 36%  [ 24 ]
Other - explain  
 12%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 66

happy chick

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 9:16 pm
I know there is a real thing such as ayin hara, but I really don't believe one human can harm another by being jealous or commenting on something. What do you believe?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 9:26 pm
YES. ABSOLUTELY.
I've seen it with my very own eyes.
As a kid there was this classmate of mine who loved tormenting me. Nothing in particular that she wanted. She just enjoyed bullying me.
I don't think she bullied any other kid but she made my school life an absolute living hell.
Well, we once went to someone who does "upshprechn an ein human. And "blei gisn" (mixing/pouring lead)
And what do you know, there was her face. I was so creeped out I couldn't sleep for days. Her eyes were pointy and sharp. And the entire bowl was full of big pointy eyes. I also had an intense crazy fear of dogs, and up many nights after dreaming of being bitten by a dog and there in that bowl was the image of a kalev a dog. Since then bh I am not afraid of dogs. I still don't like them, but I'm not terrified anymore.
And needless to say, that kid never ever bothered me again! Just like that. From one day to the other.

Mommy

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 9:33 pm
I heard that Ayin hara can only have a ‘power’ if the person believes in the concept of ayin hara.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 9:36 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
I heard that Ayin hara can only have a ‘power’ if the person believes in the concept of ayin hara.

I heard that too. But honestly I wasn't old enough to even know what to believe. I was around 10 at the time. So there.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 9:49 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
YES. ABSOLUTELY.
As a kid there was this classmate of mine who loved tormenting me. Nothing in particular that she wanted. She just enjoyed bullying me.
I don't think she bullied any other kid but she made my school life an absolute living hell.
Well, we once went to someone who does "upshprechn an ein human. And "blei gisn" (mixing/pouring lead)
And what do you know, there was her face. I was so creeped out I couldn't sleep for days. Her eyes were pointy and sharp. And the entire bowl was full of big pointy eyes. I also had an intense crazy fear of dogs, and up many nights after dreaming of being bitten by a dog and there in that bowl was the image of a kalev a dog. Since then bh I am not afraid of dogs. I still don't like them, but I'm not terrified anymore.
And needless to say, that kid never ever bothered me again! Just like that. From one day to the other.

Can I ask who you went to?

Congresswoman

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 11:32 pm
happy chick wrote:
I know there is a real thing such as ayin hara, but I really don't believe one human can harm another by being jealous or commenting on something. What do you believe?

No. It’s a scam.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 11:44 pm
I find I make ayan horas on myself. I was admiring how long I had my earrings-I lost it the next day. I was thinking how my daughter never gets sick- 2 days later has fever and many other such instances. It’s spooky. Yesterday my husband was thinking someone is going to fall and a few hours later my dc fell down the stairs and broke her leg.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 12:46 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
YES. ABSOLUTELY.

How did her face appear in the bowl? And the dog?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 1:00 am
Pouring lead is a form of witchcraft. Why would a frum person do that? Look up molybdomancy, which is the term in English.

No, human beings are not endowed with the power to cause harm. Because the human mind naturally seeks patterns, we try to connect events, particularly if they are out of the ordinary. So if someone compliments your great cooking, and then the next day you burn a cake, you may want to say that one caused the other. But you are probably forgetting the many times you were complimented and nothing went wrong, and the times that you burned food even without a compliment.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 1:04 am
I think one is to try to avoid jealously of others - even friends or siblings.

Not to brag about your vacation, your remodeled home, etc.

Only to parents and grandparents can you freely share good fortune because they are happy for you,
and not jealous.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 1:05 am
I voted "other" - somewhat.

I don't worry about ayin horah. And I don't have anything to make others jealous.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 1:38 am
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
I find I make ayan horas on myself. I was admiring how long I had my earrings-I lost it the next day. I was thinking how my daughter never gets sick- 2 days later has fever and many other such instances. It’s spooky. Yesterday my husband was thinking someone is going to fall and a few hours later my dc fell down the stairs and broke her leg.

That’s called magical thinking.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 8:23 am
amother [ Anemone ] wrote:
Can I ask who you went to?

The guy is unfortunately not alive anymore. It's been close to 2 decades ago.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 8:25 am
amother [ Ultramarine ] wrote:
How did her face appear in the bowl? And the dog?

Like a sculpture. Only tiny. Like the size of a half dollar or less.

Sesame

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 8:51 am
I believe it exists
But I don’t really think about it. I leave my fate up to hashem

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 9:41 am
I didn't used to believe in it. Then we had a whole story with someone causing us a lot of damage and we went to a Rav for eitza how to deal with it. He knows the family, suggested that she is jealous and narcissistic and then asked us if we'd had any strange problems recently. We did. one child who was suddenly doing badly for no obvious reason, another previously completely healthy suddenly developed a whole range of physical problems, huge parnassa issues out the blue. He sent us to a mekubal who, without knowing which child we were worried about, went through the list of all the names and picked out those children - this one lanefesh, that one laguf etc. He told us to say specific pesukim for a shmira and to check our mezuzos. We saw a real difference.

I'm still not sure what I believe but I don't totally dismiss it the way I used to.

Shmoozinator

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 10:35 am
I think it depends on how ayin hara is explained. I don't believe in it in this "voodoo" kind of way that some people do. What I understand ayin hara to be is calling Din on another person, and the way to avoid it is to practice being a Baal Rachamim and be Dan l'Kaf Zechus.
To explain: someone might be jealous or annoyed with someone else, and their words/thoughts/actions call for Din from shamayim on this person. So, the heavenly court can open a case to re-evaluate whether a person needs/deserves something. But if someone is careful with Dan l'kaf zechus and/or emulating Hashem's middos of Rachamim, then Hashem can say "I'm not taking this case" and it can serve as a form of protection. I've heard it said "when someone casts an 'ayin hara' on someone else, it can go on them too" and with this explanation, my understanding is that just like a plaintiff can be ruled against in a human court, when someone calls judgement on someone else, Hashem might rule against them instead.

ShishKabob

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 10:38 am
Of course there's such a thing. We ask Hashem every single day by the yehi ratzon to save us from ayin horoh! Just like he should save us from yetzer horoh, and we all know that THAT exists. Why is this any different?

Why does it say that no ayin horoh is sholet over Yosef Hatzaddik if there's no such thing?

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 12:38 pm
No. I say KA"H only when I'm with ppl who will assume I'm not frum if I don't say it. I consider belief in such things to be just this side of idolatrous.

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 12:41 pm
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
No. I say KA"H only when I'm with ppl who will assume I'm not frum if I don't say it. I consider belief in such things to be just this side of idolatrous.

So stand by your principles. I even substitute a phrase for mazel tov. I think you are exaggerating that people will think you are not frum if you don't say KA"H.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics