Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Who decides whats OOT and whats in town?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 3:32 pm
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
I can’t believe no one said the joke (or maybe it’s a true story) of the Bais yaakov convention in Baltimore...

On Sunday when everyone was getting ready to leave they announced all out of towners please go to X room and in towners please go to Y room.

All Brooklyn and Baltimore girls were in Y room. Everyone else was in X.

(Lol this must have been the days before Lakewood became in town...)

I live in Baltimore and we all know this story and laugh at it often.

I grew up in Chicago and went to camp in Wisconsin. To a Chicagoan, "Tri-state area" means Illinois, Wisconsin, and Indiana. To us campers, out of town was anyone who was not from Chicago or Skokie. I was from Buffalo Grove and did not go to the "in town" schools (Hillel Torah and Arie Crown), so I was considered out of town also. Meh.

My daughter is in 12th grade and she tells me the seminaries consider an "out of town" style atmosphere, whatever that means, to be a big plus in terms of open houses and recruitment.

amother
Nasturtium

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 3:54 pm
Matisse wrote:
I think "in town" "out of town" becomes part of the conversation when your kids are in shidduchim. We are way out of town (my own description:)) and I found this to be one of the concerns for the girls in our community but not as much for the boys. When I say concern, I mean that the "in towners" parents of boys were hesitant for their sons to date out of town girls. We have a married son and one about to enter shidduchim after Pesach, so I am getting ready for round 2Smile))

We live in Brooklyn,have a son in Shidduchim, and we find that when a girl is described as “out of town type” that’s code for being more simple, not high maintenance.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 4:03 pm
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
OOT means that you are nice, and In-Town means that you are horrible.
How else/why would you classify people as such?

I'm confused. Are you saying this sarcastically?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 28 2022, 4:20 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
Came here to say this. We live in Manhattan and are absolutely considered OOT in frumspeak.

Me, too. And while you can't get more TOWN than Manhattan (I mean, really people, think about it, it's one the most densely populated areas in the WORLD at 69,468 people per square mile, suburbia it ain't) I'm rather proud to be considered OOT by the Brooklyn Lakewood Monsey crowd. OOT people in the RW frum sense have a reputation for being less shallow, less materialistic, less concerned about what's cooking in everyone else's pot, and more down-to-earth.

An OOT girl wouldn't be posting on imamother "Where can I buy the latest fashion shoes for my six-month-old" or "How much did your kallah jewelry cost?" because those aren't her values.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics