Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
I’m confused do frozen vegetables need checking for bugs?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 12:23 pm
Like broccoli, cauliflower and spinach. Do I need to buy the bisect type or because it’s frozen the bugs are destroyed?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 12:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Like broccoli, cauliflower and spinach. Do I need to buy the bisect type or because it’s frozen the bugs are destroyed?

AYLOR.

AllThings

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 12:29 pm
If the bugs were there when it was packaged, they will still be there. Frozen (dead) bugs are still bugs.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 12:32 pm
Ask your local orthodox rabbi.
Diff of opinions between o-u, star-k, kcl
Best is to ask your rav what is ok.
(Some say the bugs fall apart when frozen some say it isn’t enough some say have to be checked to a certain extent when pkg. Very community specific)

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 12:43 pm
I personally go by the CRC and only buy broccoli/spinach/brussels sprouts that specify checked for bugs. Cauliflower is easier to check yourself but still must be checked fresh or frozen.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 1:12 pm
I posted this a few months ago and got pretty slammed by some people here but I'll say it anyway.
Ask your Rav. Many say you need to buy pre checked.
BUT
Apparently my Rav (who is a yeshivish, well respected posek) holds that something happens in the freezing process to the bugs, which makes them not whole, or something like that, so we can buy any frozen broccoli etc, not just prechecked.

This may be a minority opinion, so ask your own Rav,

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 3:12 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I posted this a few months ago and got pretty slammed by some people here but I'll say it anyway.
Ask your Rav. Many say you need to buy pre checked.
BUT
Apparently my Rav (who is a yeshivish, well respected posek) holds that something happens in the freezing process to the bugs, which makes them not whole, or something like that, so we can buy any frozen broccoli etc, not just prechecked.

This may be a minority opinion, so ask your own Rav,

Is it concerning all vegetables or it excludes some like asparagus (I think heard that )

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 3:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Is it concerning all vegetables or it excludes some like asparagus (I think heard that )

If you hold freezing doesnt have an effect on the din of eating bugs, then the concern is which veggies need to be checked for bugs. All those veggies would need to be bought prechecked, even frozen.

If you hold that freezing has an effect on the bugs which makes it permissable to eat them, then you can buy any frozen vegetables (not cut up-whole...thats a different inyan of kashrus) because you arent concerned if there are bugs or not, since theyre frozen.

But you need to ask this to your own Rav

torquoise

Post Thu, Mar 31 2022, 5:26 pm
Every fruit and vegetable has different rules. The Star-K posts updated information on how each fruit/veg needs to be washed and checked. If you're buying frozen, you need to make sure the produce is washed and checked according to halachic guidelines.

https://www.star-k.org/checking
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen