Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Is joking about baldness ableist?
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Hyssop

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 1:35 pm
Was it an alopecia joke or was it a hairstyle joke?

Was he making fun of her illness or comparing her to someone strong and beautiful like GI Jane.

We will never know.

But bec Will hit his wife lost the chance to be empowered and to be the focus of this conversation. Her husband took that away from her and made Rock the victim instead.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 5:12 pm
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
Men who are bald also have alopecia and find it painful.
Not sure why men looks can be made fun of but not women

There are different types of humor. Most of what we laugh at is because of incongruity. I'd like to think we have the middos not to laugh at someone else's expense but others do consider it funny, edgy, etc.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 5:13 pm
Reality wrote:
So not true. It is very very upsetting for most men to go bald. Even for men who usually don't care about their looks. It completely changes how one looks.

It's upsetting but not always unexpected. Some men lean in to it by shaving. Women will get extensions or wigs.

Laiya

Post Tue, Mar 29 2022, 9:26 pm
Fox wrote:
Remember that this is show business.

I don't know if or to what extent any of the business between Smith and Rock was scripted, but I know who won: the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Viewership of the Oscars has been declining precipitously for years. Which is no surprise, really. The Academy requires that a film must be theatrically released (or at least planned for theatrical release). Except that fewer and fewer people have been seeing movies in theaters even before Covid. The only theatrical releases that draw people in are, for the most point, superhero franchises.

Even though I don't watch movies as a general rule, I used to be aware of nominees, plots, and trivia about notable movies and performances. But I haven't bothered in well over a decade. Quick, without looking it up, what's the general plot of Coda? Who directed it? Who starred in it?

But now we're all talking about the Oscars. Cui bono?

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-p.....85249

realsilver

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 12:36 am
Just heard this, ‘as jews, we already know not to hit the rock!’

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 12:50 am
Laiya wrote:
https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/athena-thorne/2022/03/29/hmm-oscars-sponsor-pfizer-coincidentally-in-race-to-market-cure-for-alopecia-n1585249

That would make Rock and Smith the best actors in the world

Reality

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 1:26 am
PinkFridge wrote:
It's upsetting but not always unexpected. Some men lean in to it by shaving. Women will get extensions or wigs.

Because they have no choice. Men who wear toupes are considered fools. When a close male family member lost hair due to illness it was terrible. He is a frum man who couldn't care less what he looked like. Yet losing hair was extremely traumatic. You look like a different person. When people commented, it hurt him terribly.

Why do women think men have no feelings?

amother
Holly

Post Wed, Mar 30 2022, 8:50 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I think he was right to smack him. For some reason verbal abuse is always defendable because "at least it wasn't physical."

I think Chris said something awful, and I'm glad Will stood up for his wife.

I'm aware that no one else shares my view.

(I share your view.)

Goldie613

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 4:33 am
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
I think he was right to smack him. For some reason verbal abuse is always defendable because "at least it wasn't physical."

I think Chris said something awful, and I'm glad Will stood up for his wife.

I'm aware that no one else shares my view.

This is actually where I find myself a bit stuck. I agree 100% with the idea that a husband should stick up for his wife - I just don't love the idea of how he did it. If Will Smith interrupted the guy's performance verbally, or just by standing up and making some kind of a fuss, I think people would have been (mostly) ok with that. I even like the idea of him going up there and standing in front of Chris Rock and just being there, as if to say "hey, say that to my face" - I think that would have been more controversial, but still ok.

It's the hitting that throws me on an intellectual level. On an emotional one? Yeah, a big part of me feels like cheering him on for standing up for his wife and not letting someone poke fun at another's disability (which probably means I have something to work on, but there you have it).

Goldie613

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 4:39 am
amother [ Hyssop ] wrote:
1. Chris rock is now saying he had no clue she had alopecia

I can see that being the big question about what he said being "just a joke" - to me, it seems very different if he knew she was ill and poked fun at her vs if he thought she had made a style choice and was poking fun at that.

I don't think either is right, but I think that Hollyweird would put up with the second and (hopefully) condemn the first.

Goldie613

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 4:56 am
singleagain wrote:
It's C.O.D.A. stands for Children Of Deaf Adults. The only hearing person in her family Ruby not only want to get out of her fishing town, but she wants to sing, which her family won't ever hear. Compound by the fact that her families fishing business is failing. But as the only hearing person on her family she has obligations to her family.

Marlee I always forget her last name is in it. She won an Oscar in 1973. .. Matlin. I looked it up

I never know directors. But I really want to watch CODA. Just difficult bc I don't have apple tv

Total side note - Marlee Matlin was also in the TV series Switched at Birth, which focused a lot on deaf and hearing people and their interactions (the main plot was 2 girls switched at birth, one deaf, one hearing, and it's definitely worth a look if you are so inclined).

https://www.freeform.com/shows.....-show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-rtS0iR_Cw

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 7:45 am
Goldie613 wrote:
Total side note - Marlee Matlin was also in the TV series Switched at Birth, which focused a lot on deaf and hearing people and their interactions (the main plot was 2 girls switched at birth, one deaf, one hearing, and it's definitely worth a look if you are so inclined).

https://www.freeform.com/shows.....-show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-rtS0iR_Cw

I actually watched that series when it first aired. I love it so much.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics