Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
What do you think of bragging articles?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 10:20 pm
In some of the weeklies, there are articles about various people and things they do. Most of the time these are nice, informative, and interesting articles about people and things you may not know about. Every now and then there are articles, sometimes written mostly in first person, which are 2 page brag fests. ‘I’m so great, I did this and that, important people ask me advice, blah blah blah. I just cringe for them. Like do you realize how full of yourself you sound? There is a big line between tasteful and yikes. Thoughts?

amother
Wine

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 10:25 pm
I once heard a speaker like that at a women’s function at shul. It is just awful.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 10:26 pm
I've never had that feeling reading the articles.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 10:49 pm
amother [ Hotpink ] wrote:
I've never had that feeling reading the articles.

Me neither. Op What are you reading?

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 10:58 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
In some of the weeklies, there are articles about various people and things they do. Most of the time these are nice, informative, and interesting articles about people and things you may not know about. Every now and then there are articles, sometimes written mostly in first person, which are 2 page brag fests. ‘I’m so great, I did this and that, important people ask me advice, blah blah blah. I just cringe for them. Like do you realize how full of yourself you sound? There is a big line between tasteful and yikes. Thoughts?

Yes yes yes !!! Never experienced this until this shabbos when I read an article in one of the Jewish magazines . It was terrible. Article was all about this person and how amazing she is and how hard she works bla bla. Terrible . The worst part was the ending of the article how some people prioritize raising their kids , some running their business , some this some that but I do it all. I prioritize all of that plus my family and kids .

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 11:24 pm
I didn't read the article that you're talking about but I have previously thought that after reading a particular magazine. It rubbed me the wrong way and I didn't love the publication anyhow so I stopped reading it. It's been years since I read anything like that

amother
Holly

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 11:36 pm
Yup! I hate it!
Stopped reading women's magazines for many reasons. This is one.

amother
Red

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 11:37 pm
Wow I read the weekly magazines and never noticed bragging!
I’m so surprised! I love personal articles and am usually so inspired. There’s usually so much to learn from these writers. No clue what you guys are reading, or reading into.

imacoolmom

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 11:42 pm
If it’s the same article I’m thinking if she didn’t seem to come off arrogant to me. She actually kept giving all the credit to others

amother
Violet

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 11:46 pm
imacoolmom wrote:
If it’s the same article I’m thinking if she didn’t seem to come off arrogant to me. She actually kept giving all the credit to others

Nope . Not the article I read . There was literally no purpose to her article.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 12:01 am
I take most of these articles (and interviews) with a grain of salt. Actually they give me a bit of secondhand embarrassment but maybe the subjects don't realize how braggy they come across....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room