Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Please help me. Almost 8yo still having accidents

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 11:46 pm
Since he was trained (maybe we did it too early? Had to do it at age 3 for school) he's never really been fully trained. There's always continued to be pee accidents, sometimes more often sometimes less often. This year I'm finding poop tracks in his underwear a lot as well. He is still in pull ups at night. We tried miralax for a while assuming it was constipation, I think it helped but not sure (he never complains of constipation!) and didn't want to do it forever. Now he's on Heather's tummy fiber but maybe we need to up the dosage? Or do something else?? We also tried glycerin suppositories for a while but he never seemed to poop much from them. And the older he gets the more I feel like that's uncomfortable to do for him. I don't think he could manage it himself though.

Desperate for any ideas. I really thought we'd be past this by now.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 11:49 pm
Get an Rx for Desmopressin. Life changing!!!! Call your pediatrician asap!

amother
Camellia

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 12:01 am
Maybe he just doesn't wipe well after a BM and it ends up on his underwear.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 12:42 am
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Get an Rx for Desmopressin. Life changing!!!! Call your pediatrician asap!

Huh - I took that at sleepaway camp as a kid for bedwetting... they prescribe that for daytime accidents? And will it fix the problem permanently? I don't want him to be on something forever...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 12:43 am
amother [ Camellia ] wrote:
Maybe he just doesn't wipe well after a BM and it ends up on his underwear.

Yeah this occurred to me but I think it's more than that

amother
Hydrangea

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 12:50 am
If he is leaking bowels you may want to discuss the possibility of encoparesis with your pediatrician. It is constipation but may not present as typical constipation. Additionally, constipation puts pressure on the bladder which plays a role in wet accidents.
Another thought, is he a sensory kid with lower body awareness and doesn't register as easily if he needs to go?
You can try a bed alarm for nighttime wetting, sometimes gains carryover to daytime too.
Lastly, there are physical therapists who specialize in pediatric pelvic floor therapy. Idk if anything musculoskeletal is playing a role but keep it in the back of your mind.
Don't know if any of this is helpful but these are the possibilities that came to mind. Good luck, hope you find and quick and simple solution very soon!

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 1:06 am
Oh my. Can't believe someone is going through same thing I am!! My son is same age. The #2 accidents stopped almost a year ago. However he still wets himself a lot. ( took him to tons of therapy and doctor!)

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 1:08 am
my daughter had this. pediatrition gave a laxative (I cant rem how many times it had to be taken) and after every meal (when possible) sit on the toilet with feet on a step stool for 8mins for an 8 yr old, 5min for 5yr old... It did work. I think that this system gets the body used to doing what its supposed to. Night time took a little longer but no drinks before bed especially not juices. can sip water.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 1:40 am
Make an appointment with a pediatric GI.

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 7:28 am
It can be a low muscle tone issue. Or constipation. Whatever you do tread carefully, no shaming. One of my kids urinated when nervous.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 11:24 am
This is encopresis. Please get to a GI. It is not behavioral, it is medical. Going through this with my son (almost 5). It took months to figure out what it was. My life has changed since we got a diagnosis and started treating it.

The tracks in underwear is classic sign of encopresis. They are backed up so poop leaks out around the hard stuck poop. Colon is stretched and putting pressure on bladder hence the pee accidents.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 11:30 am
I'm back just to say I want to shout from the rooftops that this is encopresis.

When kids have accident past age 4. Anyone who's child is having accidents. Get to a GI or get your pediatrician to treat him for encopresis. It will change your life I promise.

And constipation rarely looks like how we expect it to. Kids can be so backed up to the point of needing a hospital clean out and not complain a bit. Also when constipation poop can actually look soft. Because it is leaking around the hardened poop in the colon.

I've learned so much on this journey, and I want everyone to know so you don't have to suffer with the unknown any longer. I've been there for a long time.
Encopresis/eneurisis can be treated over time.

frizet

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 11:32 am
There’s behavioral therapist who they say can help

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 7:40 pm
Bumping this up

I'm at my wits end. I've been to pediatrician, gi, urologist, therapist and nothing seems to make any dent in the issue.

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, May 19 2022, 9:52 pm
My daughter had this until we treated her with long term antibiotics for chronic, low-grade strep infection that never showed up on cultures, only found it when did bloodwork.

And you can safely give 800mg of Natural Calm magnesium, dosed 2 or 3 Times throughout the day. Of course, check with your doctor...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training