Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
S/o Jewish riddles!
  Previous  1  2  3 57  58  59 74  75  76  Next

Siriusly?

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 4:57 pm
b.chadash wrote:
This is really amazing. I was listening to a shiur by Rabbi Glatstien today and he happened to have mentioned the answer to this riddle! Very Happy

He has a whole thing about Rivka, that when she first laid eyes on Yitzchok, she fell off her camel, like she was startled. Rashi says she saw that he had Hadar- a shine.

However, there is another explanation to that. He went in to explain that there is an opinion that says that Avrohom actually did in fact shecht Yitchok (or partially shecht him). And Yitzchok went up to Gan eden to heal. After 3 years, he came back.

On the day he came back, his kalla was arriving on the gamal. She fell off because she looked at Yitzhok and she saw he was UPSIDE DOWN. because apparently in olam haba, people walk around upside down. So when Yitzchok came back, he was still upside down. (Seems like Rashi says this in the gemara.) "Hadar" could also mean upside down.

Ps. It answers a bunch of other questions such as Rashi says that when Yaakov walked into the room, Yitzchok thought he smelled like Gan eden. How did he know how Gan eden smells? Because he was there, and he remembered!

Fascinating shiur. Also he explains about the business of being upside down in Gan eden.

I'll try to post it if anyone is interested.

Please do post it! Sounds fascinating!

Can anyone help with this? Someone asked me about the story with Shlomo Hamelech and the bee and the queen of Sheba, so I went to look up the details, and could not find a source for it... anyone know of one?

b.chadash

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 8:56 pm
Siriusly? wrote:

Here it is: the mysterious disappearance of Yitzchok.
https://www.torahanytime.com/#.....65980

b.chadash

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 8:57 pm
Siriusly? wrote:

Can anyone help with this? Someone asked me about the story with Shlomo Hamelech and the bee and the queen of Sheba, so I went to look up the details, and could not find a source for it... anyone know of one?

What is the story?

GrowingUp

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 9:18 pm
Siriusly? wrote:

My kids have watched a video of it (I think it’s from Rabbi B on YouTube) but after looking it up now it seems that it’s a legend and not based off anything in Tanach.

Below is copied from a page I found while google searching.

After King Solomon forgives a bee for stinging him, it returns the favor by identifying the one real flower among a roomful of artificial ones—one of the riddles set the great king by the queen of Sheba. As Renberg explains in an excellent note, this story has Talmudic roots but is based on ``The Bee'' by Jewish poet Hayyim Nahman Bialik (``since this account doesn't appear in the Talmud, scholars are unclear whether Bialik based it on some other ancient folklore or whether he invented it'

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/.....-bee/

b.chadash

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 9:44 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Which taanis ends with the recitation of Hallel?

The answer to this is that sometimes there is a fast day established in Eretz Yisroel for rain. If on the same day as the taanis, it starts to rain, so there is an interesting halacha regarding this- they turn the day into a yom tov and say Hallel.

BrisketBoss

Post Sat, Nov 06 2021, 9:46 pm
GrowingUp wrote:

After King Solomon forgives a bee for stinging him, it returns the favor by identifying the one real flower among a roomful of artificial ones—one of the riddles set the great king by the queen of Sheba. As Renberg explains in an excellent note, this story has Talmudic roots but is based on ``The Bee'' by Jewish poet Hayyim Nahman Bialik (``since this account doesn't appear in the Talmud, scholars are unclear whether Bialik based it on some other ancient folklore or whether he invented it'

That story appears in Stories of King Solomon, one of my favorite books in the Hebrew school library when I was a kid.

Siriusly?

Post Sun, Nov 07 2021, 11:01 am
GrowingUp wrote:
My kids have watched a video of it (I think it’s from Rabbi B on YouTube) but after looking it up now it seems that it’s a legend and not based off anything in Tanach.

Below is copied from a page I found while google searching.

Thanks, I came across similar results when looking it up... was just wondering if anyone knew of a medrash or something that mentions it, but I guess not!

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 8:09 pm
Need help with another riddle….
On what date did Yaakov take away the Brochos from eisav?

b.chadash

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 9:36 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
Need help with another riddle….
On what date did Yaakov take away the Brochos from eisav?

Wasn't it Pesach?

If I recall correctly, some say the minhag of stealing the afikoman is to commemorate Yaakov stealing the brachos, and that event happened on Pesach.

b.chadash

Post Tue, Nov 09 2021, 9:56 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
My daughters teacher asked, and said they can get help….
Which tzaddik in Sefer Bereishis wore a necklace…

Curious what was the correct answer to this one?

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Nov 14 2021, 10:34 pm
b.chadash wrote:
Curious what was the correct answer to this one?

Her teacher was referring to Avraham.
Thanks for your help!

b.chadash

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 7:15 pm
This happened today:
My seven year old son was in the car with me, and he started making a bracha out loud.
He said, "baruch Ata Hashem ELokeinu Melech haolam..." and then he stopped, seemingly stuck.
So I said "borei nefashos?"
He shook his head.
I said- "what are you making a bracha on?"
He said "I can't tell you."
I thought for a second and I understood. I helped him finish the bracha.

What was the bracha?

gr82no

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 8:25 pm
b.chadash wrote:
This happened today:
My seven year old son was in the car with me, and he started making a bracha out loud.
He said, "baruch Ata Hashem ELokeinu Melech haolam..." and then he stopped, seemingly stuck.
So I said "borei nefashos?"
He shook his head.
I said- "what are you making a bracha on?"
He said "I can't tell you."
I thought for a second and I understood. I helped him finish the bracha.

What was the bracha?

A rainbow?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 20 2021, 8:29 am
gr82no wrote:
A rainbow?

Yes! Very Happy

salt

Post Tue, Dec 21 2021, 7:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes! Very Happy

Why? Are we not allowed to tell people when we see a rainbow? I didn't know that.

I thought he'd sneaked a cookie from the kitchen and didn't want you to know that he'd eaten it. But then he'd have said the bracha a little quieter I guess.

amother
Pearl

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 1:38 pm
When is one not allowed to get divorced?

shanie5

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 3:24 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

A-When one is not married
Or
B- one can't get divorced. Only 2 can

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 3:53 pm
amother [ Pearl ] wrote:

When the person is mentally unstable?

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 4:31 pm
They don’t do divorces in Iyar iirc.

dena613

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 4:59 pm
What is the connection between tisha b'av and pesach?

What does the story of yosef being sold have to do with the seder?
Page 58 of 76   Previous  1  2  3 57  58  59 74  75  76  Next Recent Topics