Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Car service on Shabbos to hospital to give birth?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 4:25 pm
Hi,

The last time I had a baby was a while ago, I remember there was some sort of system where you put your name and info on a paper in someone’s mailbox in Lakewood before Shabbos when you are due, and you were given some phone numbers of car services who know the drill for driving you on Shabbos to the hospital.

Is this still around or do people use other options at this point? Any info you can provide would be very helpful.

Thanks

nanny24/7

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 4:30 pm
I remember that too but don't have the info anymore.
Please before shabbos just leave enough cash plus tips in an envelope plus hidden somewhere you can access on the way out of the house (like under a doormat) so you can tell the driver to take it for himself before you drive away.
You should do this even if you get the info just in case you end up needing to use a different taxi in the end. Halachically this is acceptable.
B'shaah tovah OP amd iyH everything should go smoothly for you and baby!

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 4:32 pm
I was told it's preferable to use Uber but I forgot why. I can try to find if you'd like.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 4:34 pm
amother [ Sand ] wrote:
I was told it's preferable to use Uber but I forgot why. I can try to find if you'd like.

Yes please! I was told that it’s best to notify a car service before Shabbos that you may be using them on Shabbos, so it didn’t sound to me like Uber was an option….

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 4:35 pm
nanny24/7 wrote:
I remember that too but don't have the info anymore.
Please before shabbos just leave enough cash plus tips in an envelope plus hidden somewhere you can access on the way out of the house (like under a doormat) so you can tell the driver to take it for himself before you drive away.
You should do this even if you get the info just in case you end up needing to use a different taxi in the end. Halachically this is acceptable.
B'shaah tovah OP amd iyH everything should go smoothly for you and baby!

Thank you, amen. Hoping I don’t need their services 😬

amother
Tulip

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 4:40 pm
I was told better to call uber because you don't have to call and speak. I turned off the screen saver on my phone, put it in a room I don't use, and had all the info typed in before shabbos, so on shabbos all I needed was to press one button. Worked great!

nanny24/7

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 4:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you, amen. Hoping I don’t need their services 😬

OP my shabbos birth child was my most calm, peaceful, quick, simple, easy and pleasant birth with my most adorable child as a result.
My ( now elementary age) kid asks me to tell them the birth story of how we went to have a baby on shabbos a gaazzzzillion times.
It's so adorable!

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 4:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yes please! I was told that it’s best to notify a car service before Shabbos that you may be using them on Shabbos, so it didn’t sound to me like Uber was an option….

My husband isn't home now but I'll ask if he remembers.

This was written in 2009 before Uber but still has useful information.
https://I.imgur.com/Iz1AI2q.png

*I asked him, he doesn't remember the details, just that if it were true it would be because there's less melacha involved. If you'd prefer Uber probably call your Rav and double check.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries