Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
What to do with my 5.5 year old all Sunday

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 2:31 pm
I'm home with my 5.5 year old daughter all Sunday.

I try to have friends over but it doesn't always works out. She wants to play with me all day.

What are some ideas to get her to play happily independently.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 4:10 pm
Bump

amother
Wandflower

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 4:24 pm
Why not go out together?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 4:25 pm
amother [ Wandflower ] wrote:
Why not go out together?

I don't know why I didn't think of it. All day trying to get a friend over but I could have done that. Thanks. Will keep in mind!

momof2+?

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 4:32 pm
Set her up with play dough at a table where she could see you, but you don’t have to be playing with her. Same with arts n crafts. Scissors, glue, construction paper, crayons, pom poms, popsicle sticks etc. Make sugar cookie dough and let her shape and decorate the cookies.

I tell my kids that I will play _________ with them after they play on their own for 20 minutes.

Maybe making a (picture) schedule will help her know what to expect to happen, and she will be less clingy and “what should I do now??????” -y.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 4:34 pm
momof2+? wrote:
Set her up with play dough at a table where she could see you, but you don’t have to be playing with her. Same with arts n crafts. Scissors, glue, construction paper, crayons, pom poms, popsicle sticks etc. Make sugar cookie dough and let her shape and decorate the cookies.

I tell my kids that I will play _________ with them after they play on their own for 20 minutes.

Maybe making a (picture) schedule will help her know what to expect to happen, and she will be less clingy and “what should I do now??????” -y.

I like the schedule idea. I find that during the week she comes home and starts playing. On Sunday she wakes up and keeps asking me what to do and can I do it with her. Maybe she has come to expect certain things happening on Sundays.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 6:11 pm
We rarely stay home Sundays… we go to playgrounds, science center, aquarium, skyzone, zoo (memberships). I think we’d all go crazy home all day.

metacognizant

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 6:46 pm
For my 5.5 year old I have to make a plan for him to get exercise and stimulation, and *then* once he’s a bit tuckered out he’ll play quietly by himself while I do chores. Today he had OT in the morning (a great way to get him out early on a
Sunday), then we all went out to lunch (where I also met a friend), then he had a friend come over and they spent 2 hours playing tag on the sidewalk while I watched them. And now he’s coloring quietly and could probably do that for a long time. It’s not possible to arrange a play date every Sunday unfortunately, since he is in a class with only a few other children, but today things worked out. What can you do to make your daughter tired, and can you arrange for that to happen first in your day?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 6:56 pm
metacognizant wrote:
For my 5.5 year old I have to make a plan for him to get exercise and stimulation, and *then* once he’s a bit tuckered out he’ll play quietly by himself while I do chores. Today he had OT in the morning (a great way to get him out early on a
Sunday), then we all went out to lunch (where I also met a friend), then he had a friend come over and they spent 2 hours playing tag on the sidewalk while I watched them. And now he’s coloring quietly and could probably do that for a long time. It’s not possible to arrange a play date every Sunday unfortunately, since he is in a class with only a few other children, but today things worked out. What can you do to make your daughter tired, and can you arrange for that to happen first in your day?

Shes a little lazy like that. Will think about it.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 6:58 pm
We usually bake in the morning, something small and easy like oatmeal bars in 9x13 so she can be very involved. Then we make a breakfast that takes time, like French toast and berries or homeade pancakes, etc. By 11/12 we get out of the house and do something. Either a museum, an activity, or at least the park. Depending on when we get home, either she colors, plays with her Barbies, her dollhouse, etc and then I'll make supper or we'll make dinner together. Then she takes a bubble bath while it cooks.
(We don't do all of these every Sunday, but this is just about the schedule. Lately I signed her up for lessons Sunday morning so we rush out in the morning, then come home for brunch and take it from there, get lunch on the go and do errands, or just play it by ear depending on what I need to get done. )

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 7:28 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
We usually bake in the morning, something small and easy like oatmeal bars in 9x13 so she can be very involved. Then we make a breakfast that takes time, like French toast and berries or homeade pancakes, etc. By 11/12 we get out of the house and do something. Either a museum, an activity, or at least the park. Depending on when we get home, either she colors, plays with her Barbies, her dollhouse, etc and then I'll make supper or we'll make dinner together. Then she takes a bubble bath while it cooks.
(We don't do all of these every Sunday, but this is just about the schedule. Lately I signed her up for lessons Sunday morning so we rush out in the morning, then come home for brunch and take it from there, get lunch on the go and do errands, or just play it by ear depending on what I need to get done. )

I like the concept of this schedule when though parts wouldn't work for me. I have recently thought about signing her up for something. Haven't considered that it might just get the day rolling properly. Maybe I will do that after Pesach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers