Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Found a great solution to the bedtime aggravation...

Mishie

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 1:38 pm
I just found a bag of kids' tapes (which used to be mine when I was a kid).
including stories, Dov Dov and other great stuff.

So, I got out our mini-tape-recorder and told the kids that if they get in Pajamas and brush their teeth quickly, I'll let them listen to a tape while they're in bed.

It worked wonders!!!!

Tonight they listened to the story of the Megilah.

Last edited by Mishie on Mon, Mar 03 2008, 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

SingALong

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 1:42 pm
what do you do on shabbos? I want to start eh story tape thing with my daughter but then im afraid she'll be dependent on it to fall asleep.

amother

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 2:05 pm
That is exactly what I do Mishie. Only with one child it became an issue for shabbos so we have a shabbos doll which appers mysteriously in their bed friday night before bedtime and dissapears before shabbos lunch.

Mishie

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 2:10 pm
Quote:
what do you do on shabbos?

Wow....
I haven't thought of that....

AGINY

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 2:23 pm
we do the tape at bedtime. shabbos is never a problem, the kids just know it is shabbos. they never even asked for the tape on friday night.

Squash

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 5:40 pm
I tried doing that but found that the story kept them awake and didn't let them fall asleep till much laterthan usual.

SingALong

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 7:42 pm
I gave my daughter a tape tonight and she fell asleep within 5 minutes. but she wakes up a lot in the night, and the last time I tried the tape she woke up crying that she wanted her tape at 3 am. I guess I'll see what happens tonight!

rikismom

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 7:45 pm
I also do the tape thing. but I don't put my kids to bed until they are really tired. On Shabbos my kids end up staying up until LATE since there's nothing to do in bed.

anonymom

Post Mon, Mar 03 2008, 11:06 pm
Funny this came up. I was thinking of posting that my 4 year old asked if he could go to bed with some glow in the dark dinosaurs. He was so happy to go to bed. You can probably find all kinds of glow in the dark stuff at the dollar store. Hope this helps someone.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 2:58 pm
When I was little, this was bedtime routine in my house. I just ordered cool ipod speakers for my son's room and would like to do the same thing.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 3:35 pm
I fell asleep to tapes when I was a kid...but I would wake up and turn them over as soon as they clicked, so my parents soon stopped that!

What about books? I once babysat a boy who had a really early bedtime but was allowed to read books for as long as he wanted once he was in bed. They had a LOT of books, so he never got bored. When he was younger, he just looked through the pictures. He loved bedtime - but I don't know if he would have otherwise - and he learned to love books too! Besides the fact that it works on Shabbos too (if they have a nightlight).

yo'ma

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 3:42 pm
rikismom wrote:
I also do the tape thing. but I don't put my kids to bed until they are really tired. On Shabbos my kids end up staying up until LATE since there's nothing to do in bed.

They might get overtired and that's really bad, at least by us.
I've always had the kids get 2 books and I read 1 and they can take both to bed. After they finished reading it they lay down and go to sleep. It worked for the 2 big ones when they were little. The 2 younger ones it doesn't work, but of course everyone eventually falls asleep. I just tell them as long as they're in bed and not too much noise, I won't say anything. I used to go into my room and close my door after I put them to bed so I wouldn't hear them and get frustrated.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, May 06 2008, 3:57 pm
you can get them from the library too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics