Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Quinoa Almond Pilaf

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 4:05 pm
Quinoa Almond Pilaf

Excerpt From: Rose Wilson - 150 Yummy Passover Seder Recipes

Ingredients

1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 cup cold water
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 celery rib, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 almonds, coarsely chopped
1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons raisins
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1 pinch coarse sea salt

In a saucepan, mix the cold water, salt and quinoa together and let it boil; lower the heat to medium-low setting and let the mixture cook for about 15 minutes while covered until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid.

Pour the olive oil in a skillet and let it heat up over medium heat setting. Put in the carrot, celery, garlic and onion and let it cook in hot oil for 5-7 minutes while stirring it until the onion turns translucent. Add in the raisins, oregano, almonds, thyme, salt, pepper and tomato and let it cook for 1 more minute while stirring the mixture.

Use a fork to fluff out the quinoa then add it into the vegetable mixture and let the mixture cook for about 30 seconds while stirring it until it is hot and well-combined.

Distribute the cooked quinoa mixture evenly among 3 plates then top it off with some coarse sea salt granules for a nice salty crunch.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 5:42 pm
Looks yum!
Thank you. I'm going to try it!

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 5:53 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
Looks yum!
Thank you. I'm going to try it!

Yes this is quite good. I doesn’t make a huge amount but it is easily scaled up.

During the year I make a Wild Rice Salad with raisins and nuts and an orange juice and mint dressing and now I am thinking it couid easily be done with quinoa. 🧐

Mermaidinexile

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 5:58 pm
Amarante wrote:
Yes this is quite good. I doesn’t make a huge amount but it is easily scaled up.

During the year I make a Wild Rice Salad with raisins and nuts and an orange juice and mint dressing and now I am thinking it couid easily be done with quinoa. 🧐

Ooh I'd love the Quinoa version of that!

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 6:04 pm
Mermaidinexile wrote:
Ooh I'd love the Quinoa version of that!

I have never made it with quinoa but I make it all the time with wild rice. I love serving it because it is made ahead and also because it is delicious and I feast on the leftovers.

I think just subbing quinoa for wild rice woiod work becaise wild rice has a very rich taste that isn’t like regular rice anyway. But if you don’t make it for Pesach, it is great the rest of the year with wild rice. 😘

Silver Palate Wild Rice Salad

Ingredients

1 cup raw wild rice
5 1/2 cups defatted chicken stock
1 cup shelled pecan halves
1 cup yellow raisins
Grated rind of 1 large orange
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
4 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Preparation

Rinse rice in a strainer under cold water
Place rice in medium-size heavy saucepan. Add stock and bring to rapid boil. Adjust heat to gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 45 minutes. )after 30 minutes check for doneness as rice should not be oo soft).
Place a thin towel inside a colander and turn rice into colander and drain. Transfer drained rice to a bowl.
Add remaining ingredients to rice and toss gently. Adjust seasonings to taste. Let stand for 2 hours to allow flavors to develop. Serve at room temperature.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics