Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
How to keep shnitzel crispy for Shabbos lunch

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 11:36 am
Please advise Heart
Mine always gets soggy but we really want to do shnitzel for lunch. We usually do grilled chicken salad for Shabbos lunch but I don't have a grill or grill pan for Pesach.

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 11:37 am
I find the best way is to serve it room temp.

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 11:57 am
If you have a wire rack like for cooling baked goods you can put the rack over a pan and put the shnitzel on top then the heat circulates evenly and keeps things crisp. But wasnt sure how much you want to patcke.

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 12:21 pm
It is the inherent nature of fried foods to get soggy so I don't think there is any solution that will result in a crispy result.

Why can't you make a chicken salad with chicken that isn't grilled. Most chicken cooked "plain" is great for a salad. If you have a crockpot, the Crockpot Rotisserie chicken is perfect for salad because it isn't a "pretty" chicken but the meat is delicious.

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 12:32 pm
I wanted to make something special for yom tov. Shnitzel would be great but I need to make it ahead. There must be a trick to get it crispy the next day... I don't think I have a pesachdik wire rack but maybe we're getting warm here?

Fave

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 12:37 pm
Amarante wrote:
It is the inherent nature of fried foods to get soggy so I don't think there is any solution that will result in a crispy result.

Why can't you make a chicken salad with chicken that isn't grilled. Most chicken cooked "plain" is great for a salad. If you have a crockpot, the Crockpot Rotisserie chicken is perfect for salad because it isn't a "pretty" chicken but the meat is delicious.

Please share the recipe for the crockpot rotisserie chicken

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 12:47 pm
Fave wrote:
Please share the recipe for the crockpot rotisserie chicken

It is really very simple keeping in mind these procedures.

Crockpot will dull the flavors so it is best to spice the chicken the night before so that the flavors really penetrate.

Rub the spices UNDER the skin right into the meat so that the spices and flavors permeate

Take off as much fat and skin as you can remove because the skin is inedible when cooked and you don't need it to keep the meat moist because cooking in the crock pot will do it.

I usually stuff the inside with some cut lemons AND whole garlic so there is more flavor

This is a "classic" spice rub but really just use whatever flavorings you like but remember that it needs A LOT of spice rub to get the flavor.

The tin foil balls elevate the chicken - put chicken in breast side up.

The cooking time is approximate so you can check with a thermometer or judge for yourself.

Chicken doesn't look like a roast chicken because the slow cooking essentially takes all of the collagen from the bones so the chicken collapses Very Happy This is also why the chicken is so succulent and flavorful. It is delicious but doesn't resemble a roast chicken from the oven which remains "solid"

Ingredients

▢ 4 - 5 lb whole chicken, innards removed
▢ 2 Tbsp light brown sugar
▢ 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
▢ 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
▢ 1 tsp dried thyme
▢ 1 tsp garlic powder
▢ 1 tsp onion powder
▢ kosher salt and black pepper, to taste

Instructions

Add 4 balls of aluminum foil to bottom of large slow cooker to create a rack for the chicken to cook on. Prepare chicken by removing innards and patting dry, both inside and out.

In a small mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients, then rub mixture all over chicken. Place chicken in slow cooker on top of the foil balls.

Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours, until juices run clear and chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 F degrees.

Fave

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 2:25 pm
Thanks!

Fave

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 2:26 pm
Thanks!

seeker

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 2:40 pm
Does this mean there's no way to keep shnitzel good?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 3:37 pm
seeker wrote:
Does this mean there's no way to keep shnitzel good?

Not really. But you can place it uncovered on silver foil on the hotplate. Watch it and flip it. Don't leave it too long or it will dry out. Not too short or it won't be heated through fully.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey