Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
How would I adapt this Yapchik recipe for a crockpot?

Mevater

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 7:29 pm
How would I adapt this Yapchik recipe for a crockpot?

The picture looks really appetizing.

Ingredients

Meat

1 pound boneless flanken
1/2 teaspoon Gefen Paprika
salt, to taste
coarse Gefen Black Pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons oil

Potato Mixture

5 pounds yellow-skinned potatoes (such as Yukon Gold), peeled and cut into chunks
2 onions
1 zucchini, peeled
8 eggs
1 tablespoon salt
1/8 teaspoon coarse Gefen Black Pepper
1/2 cup oil

Start Cooking
Prepare the Kugel

Season flanken with paprika, salt to taste, and pepper to taste.

Heat three tablespoons oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add flanken and sear for three minutes on each side. Lower heat, cover, and cook 30 to 40 minutes, until meat is soft. The flanken will release its own cooking juices so there is no need to add other liquid. Remove from heat and let cool.

When cool, chop flanken into small pieces. Reserve the pan juices (there should be about half a cup of liquid in the pan).

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Using the grating blade of the food processor, grate potatoes, onions, and zucchini.

In a large bowl, beat eggs with a fork. Add potato mixture and season with salt and pepper. Add oil; stir until all ingredients are combined.

Pour half the potato mixture into one nine- by 13-inch baking pan or two nine- by six-inch loaf pans. Spread meat over potato mixture. Pour reserved pan juices over meat. Top with remaining potato mixture.

Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes until potatoes are golden. Cover tightly and reduce heat to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake a minimum of six hours, up to overnight.

https://www.kosher.com/recipe/.....-6966

tia

Last edited by Mevater on Tue, Apr 19 2022, 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mevater

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 9:17 pm
bump

lylac

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 9:20 pm
I bake my yapchik in the oven, then I put up a 9×13 very deep pan filled half with boiling water, put the yapchik pan ( reg 9×13) on top of it ( so the bottom of that pan is inside the other one, but it only reaches to the water level) then on a hot plate. Covered tightly, it keeps it perfect! My crock pot has a base, instead of a drop-in pot, so this works well, but you could do the same thing with a regular crock pot, just have to find a pan that fits inside it.

Mevater

Post Tue, Apr 19 2022, 11:15 pm
If I want to use the recipe I posted above in a crockpot, how would I do it?

When would I put it up? How much before Shabbos? I assume on high for a few hours, and then on low when it forms a crust?

Do I add water? Do I use parchment paper, and put water underneath?

tia

lovecouches

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 1:51 am
I usually brown the meat and also bake the kugel for about 45 minutes to form a crust. Then I take it out of the pan and put it in the crockpot on high until shabbos then low. I have also just put the kugel in raw but it's more mushy then.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics