Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Tuna steak recipe

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 9:06 pm
Anyone have a good easy simple tuna steak recipe?

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 9:51 pm
Tuna should be cooked so that it is still rare - really raw in the middle - or else it is dry and tough.

Coat the fish with some olive oil and whatever herbs and seasonings you like.

Your pan should be very, very hot. Put in the tuna and what you want to do is sear it so that it toasts, fries and browns (about 45 to 60 seconds on each side).

Tuna steak is so delicious you really don't want to use a heavy sauce or flavoring. A tomato type of chopped salsa is a lovely condiment.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 9:57 pm
Amarante wrote:
Tuna should be cooked so that it is still rare - really raw in the middle - or else it is dry and tough.

Coat the fish with some olive oil and whatever herbs and seasonings you like.

Your pan should be very, very hot. Put in the tuna and what you want to do is sear it so that it toasts, fries and browns (about 45 to 60 seconds on each side).

Tuna steak is so delicious you really don't want to use a heavy sauce or flavoring. A tomato type of chopped salsa is a lovely condiment.

Thanks. I’m looking for seasoning recommendations.
(Are you the Jewish Martha Stewart? You always have great recipes from new to classic and you know everything about home decor)

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 9:59 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
(Are you the Jewish Martha Stewart? You always have great recipes from new to classic and you know everything about home decor)

Tuna has such a delicious flavor it isn't generally seasoned except with very basic salt, pepper, garlic powder.

It generally isn't served with a sauce.

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:07 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

I am pretty much the antithesis of Martha Stewart as I find anything beyond the bare basics to be mentally exhausting to even contemplate - e.g. decorating cakes or fancy set tables are not me and I possess not one shred of "crafting" ability in my fingers. I can't roll out crusts without them breaking - the list of home stuff I can't do is endless. LOL

I don't really have decorating skills to put together a room so that it looks professional but I did educate myself on the "mechanics" of stuff when I did my remodel because I wanted to be able to at least ask the right questions and not feel like I knew nothing and could be taken complete advantage of by the GC.

I have some recipes for "salsa" type sides to make for the tuna. They are essentially variants of a chopped tomato, onion, garlic, some fresh herbs like basil. I could post one to give you an idea.

Also tuna goes really well with Asian flavors and so is delicious with sesame oil but obviously not for Pesach.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:09 pm
Amarante wrote:
I am pretty much the antithesis of Martha Stewart as I find anything beyond the bare basics to be mentally exhausting to even contemplate - e.g. decorating cakes or fancy set tables are not me and I possess not one shred of "crafting" ability in my fingers. I can't roll out crusts without them breaking - the list of home stuff I can't do is endless. LOL

I don't really have decorating skills to put together a room so that it looks professional but I did educate myself on the "mechanics" of stuff when I did my remodel because I wanted to be able to at least ask the right questions and not feel like I knew nothing and could be taken complete advantage of by the GC.

I have some recipes for "salsa" type sides to make for the tuna. They are essentially variants of a chopped tomato, onion, garlic, some fresh herbs like basil. I could post one to give you an idea.

Also tuna goes really well with Asian flavors and so is delicious with sesame oil but obviously not for Pesach.

Yum, sure id love the salsa ideas!

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:19 pm
Pesto is a nice accompaniment - you don't need much because it has such strong flavors

Some salsas

This is a version of a classic Mexican Salsa

Ingredients
▢ 3 large tomatoes
▢ 1/3 cup cilantro/coriander leaves , roughly chopped
▢ 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion - any kind of onion
▢ 1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped jalapeño or serrano chilli (adjust to taste)
▢ 1 - 2 tbsp lime juice (adjust to taste)
▢ 1/2 tsp salt (table salt) or 3/4 tsp kosher / sea salt flakes -

Instructions

Cut the tomatoes in half and use a teaspoon to scoop out the seeds and watery centre. Cut into 1cm / 1/3" dice.
Combine with remaining ingredients. Set aside for 5 to 20 minutes. Serve as a topping or side for things like tacos, burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas and any Mexican dish!
This can be made ahead up to 1 day. Leave out the lime juice and salt (otherwise the tomato juices will leech out), cover and refrigerate. Drain excess liquid, add lime juice and salt just before serving.

Chimichurri Sauce - this is delicious with a simple grilled flank steak

▢ 1 cup parsley leaves , tightly packed
▢ 1 tbsp oregano leaves , tightly packed (still lovely without)
▢ 4 garlic cloves , minced
▢ 0 - 2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional - adjust to taste)
▢ 1/4 cup (65 ml) red wine vinegar (Note 1)
▢ 1/2 tsp salt
▢ Black pepper
▢ 1/2 cup (125 ml) extra virgin olive oil

Place all ingredients except oil in a food processor. Whizz until parsley is finely chopped, but not pureed - Alternatively chop parsley by hand.
Transfer into a small bowl. Add oil, gently stir. Set aside for 1 hour before use, overnight is even better!
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and use within 3 days . Makes 3/4 cup.

Sauce Viegra - don't know if the anchovy filets are problematic for you but you can omit and just adjust salt if it lacks "tang"

▢ 5 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
▢ 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
▢ 2 tomatoes , seeded and diced into 0.8cm (1/3") cubes - Halve then use a teaspoon to scrape out the watery insides and seeds. Dice finely.
▢ 12 black olives , pitted and cut into strips (Spanish, kalamata, or other)
▢ 2 anchovy fillets , very finely minced
Anchovy fillets – This gives the sauce an extra complexity and umami that makes it that much more delicious.▢ 1/2 tsp garlic , very finely minced
▢ 1 tsp parsley , finely chopped (Note 3)
▢ 1/2 tsp chives , finely chopped (Note 3)
▢ 1/2 tsp tarragon leaves , finely chopped (Note 3)
▢ 1/4 tsp salt
▢ 1/4 tsp black pepper
Instructions

Mix: Mix ingredients in a bowl. Taste and add more salt if you want (depends how salty the food you are putting it on is).

3. Herbs – This is a really great combination of fresh herbs that gives the sauce an elegant and fresh flavour, with the tarragon giving it a distinctly French touch. But if you don’t have them, you can use:
All parsley (flatlet best, curly ok too);
Half parsley, half chives

Alternatively: Basil and chervil also are great to include / substitute

Uses: Use at room temperature as a salsa / sauce, piled onto fish (such as Tuna Steak), other seafood, grilled or steamed vegetables, chicken, pork, over pasta, piled onto bread, or even as a dip for scooping up with crostini or corn chips! You can also warm the sauce if you wish: Gently heat in a small pot and warm to blood temperature. Do not simmer or boil or you'll lose the freshness!
Storage: Use immediately on making, or the next day. Keep in a very airtight container and allow to come to room temperature before serving.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:36 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

Season very generously with salt and pepper (1/4 tsp salt per steak). Sear for 2 minutes on each side.
Serve with an avocado tomato salad (garlic, red onion, salt and pepper).

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 11:01 pm
Thank you!

Cheiny

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 11:51 pm
allthingsblue wrote:

Use sesame oil to fry, spices (a bit of soy sauce) and sesame seeds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics