Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Can I use chocolate spread instead of melting chocolate?

WhatFor

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 12:56 am
I want to do this Macaroon cake recipe (thanks, Amarante!) but don't have any pareve chocolate to melt. Can I use that Israeli chocolate spread? If so, how would you use it? Should I melt it or would that be a disaster? How would you convert measurements?

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....66976

yiddishmom

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 1:17 am
First, I'm sure you are aware that the two taste very differently.

That being said, I would take the risk. I almost always take risks and make my own substitution.

I always say, even if it doesn't come out the way intended, if it tastes good then it's all good. Most dishes coming out of my kitchen are good. Besides for the epic fails 🤣

https://www.howmuchisin.com/pr.....olate

As per the above link, 1/4 pound chocolate (a.k.a. 4oz) yields apprx. a 1/2 cup when melted. I would measure 1/2 cup chocolate spread. I would heat it together with the oil.

But, I would probably first heat a small amount of the chocolate spread to see what happens to it. And I would also test adding the oil in it to see how it affects the texture. The chocolate spread may have lots of extra oils in it. You may choose to skip the oil.

Anyhow, I'm really not a baker or a chef. I don't understand the sciences behind it. I'm an amateur who sometimes likes to do my own thing while baking. So no guarantees.

P.s. I have a feeling Amarente will not appreciate my response 🙈

WhatFor

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:39 am
Thanks, yiddishmom! Totally forgot to give an update but I used it and it was a hit. I personally don't like the taste of the chocolate spread in general but everyone else did. The key was I added barely any sugar - just a bit- because the spread was already sweet (sickeningly so for me but I enjoyed small slices).

It's a very fancy looking cake btw. I don't usually produce such good looking baking. I actually probably overdid the topping so instead of sprinkling it on after the ganache, I put it all on to form a large circle with just an inch of cake sticking out all around.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics