Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
My meat is garbage now, right?

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:07 pm
Spent an hour last night defrosting, trimming, and saucing two big roasts. Put them in the oven to simmer at 225 overnight, around 1am. Some very helpful well meaning person turned it off around 2. I discovered this close to noon. Meat is soft and lukewarm. It all needs to go straight to the trash, right?

The annoying part is I was actually still up past 2 but I didn't notice anything because I was done with the kitchen by then. Sad

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:09 pm
It's not chicken. I think it's fine.
ETA: noticed you didn't see it until noon. That's too long, I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited by ra_mom on Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

missknowitall

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:10 pm
Absolutely garbage. There is no way it’s safe.

missknowitall

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:11 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's not chicken. I think it's fine.

What do you mean it’s not chicken? Meat spoils too.

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:14 pm
My husband would eat it but I would not serve to my kids and I myself would probably take a pass.

seeker

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:14 pm
I think chicken is more delicate than thick slabs of meat. but it was off for almost 10 hours, and was only on for 1 hour so it's not like it had a chance to get all warmed up and retain its heat when it was turned off (something like this happened the first days too - new oven, has an auto-off safety feature I didn't know about. But the meat was still hot enough that it was still cooking itself when I noticed, because presumably it was on for many hours before it turned itself off.)

This is really not great. That was going to be 2 meals and it was the only thing I prepared in advance. Now I'm starting really from scratch at noon on erev yt. Ugh.

BokerTov

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 12:48 pm
seeker wrote:
I think chicken is more delicate than thick slabs of meat. but it was off for almost 10 hours, and was only on for 1 hour so it's not like it had a chance to get all warmed up and retain its heat when it was turned off (something like this happened the first days too - new oven, has an auto-off safety feature I didn't know about. But the meat was still hot enough that it was still cooking itself when I noticed, because presumably it was on for many hours before it turned itself off.)

This is really not great. That was going to be 2 meals and it was the only thing I prepared in advance. Now I'm starting really from scratch at noon on erev yt. Ugh.

Was looking for a hug button. Heart

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 1:01 pm
I'd cry if this happened to me.

I think you need to chuck it.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 1:11 pm
seeker wrote:
Spent an hour last night defrosting, trimming, and saucing two big roasts. Put them in the oven to simmer at 225 overnight, around 1am. Some very helpful well meaning person turned it off around 2. I discovered this close to noon. Meat is soft and lukewarm. It all needs to go straight to the trash, right?

The annoying part is I was actually still up past 2 but I didn't notice anything because I was done with the kitchen by then. Sad

That’s right. You never take a chance with raw meat being out that long. It should be a kapara. So sorry.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 1:12 pm
causemommysaid wrote:
I'd cry if this happened to me.

I think you need to CHUCK it.

No pun. Lol.

BokerTov

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 1:24 pm
Cheiny wrote:
That’s right. You never take a chance with raw meat being out that long. It should be a kapara. So sorry.

No pun either 🐓

lkwdmom2

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 2:34 pm
I know someone who ended up in the hospital with salmonella poisoning both husband and wife. They had meat and chicken in oven all night with oven off and ate it for lunch. It grew bacteria. They were really sick. I know them personally. It’s not worth the risk
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics