Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
S/O can I put these away for next year
Previous  1  2

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 3:08 am
essie14 wrote:
Why?
I keep my garlic powder in my spice cabinet, I buy several throughout the year anyway.
Do you all seriously never use spices all year round?
Heavy duty tinfoil? I go through a roll every couple of weeks.
Cocoa? Of course I'll use that up in another few weeks.

Of course we use spices all year round. But to buy all the spices (and cocoa, potato starch, baking powder, matza meal...) at once is a lot at a time. Especially when there's so much else to buy. And some things are more expensive Pesach time.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 4:09 am
essie14 wrote:
Why wouldn't you just use tuna, tomato sauce, candles and foil for the next few weeks?
What makes candles kosher for pesach?

I keep candles and spare match boxes on a cupboard that is normally closed up for chametz. A few times I've realized just before candle lighting that I forgot to take them out, so now I keep a separate box of candles in the Pesach cupboard. It just makes things easier.

I've saved chocolate and tinned items from year to year. Occasionally oil, but I'm always concerned it might go rancid. Disposables and foil always. Spices if they are unopened. I make a list on my phone of what I've put away so I can check it when I'm shopping the next year and be sure not to double up. A big part of Pesach expenses is restocking the pantry from new. If I know I have part of that stock waiting in the Pesach boxes it relieves some of the pressure.

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 5:36 am
essie14 wrote:
Why wouldn't you just use tuna, tomato sauce, candles and foil for the next few weeks?
What makes candles kosher for pesach?

Things that aren’t about to expire, or are specifically for pesach get saved. Yes I can use them all year, and the cost probably balanced out (except for pesach specific items) but the cost of shelling out that money right before pesach is hard. So why not save a few hundred shekels?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 8:02 am
amother [ Blush ] wrote:
Of course we use spices all year round. But to buy all the spices (and cocoa, potato starch, baking powder, matza meal...) at once is a lot at a time. Especially when there's so much else to buy. And some things are more expensive Pesach time.

For me I would want to save spices because it needs to say kosher for pesach on it. Year round the spices don’t say it. So why each year again ahould I buy a whole new set of spices when I use just a little on the 8 days of pesach? Plus the price IS hiked up on the kfp items ..

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 8:22 am
I save most spices. I put them in a Ziploc. A lot of them I don't use that much of year round. Some of them clump over time so I don't save- I found that with onion powder or garlic powder. Even ina. Ziplock. But paprika I put away. I put away closed potato starches etc.... It isn't just about saving $, it's about not wasting. If I won't use it during the year, why not?!?

STovah

Post Thu, Apr 21 2022, 3:02 pm
I put away spices, potato starch, cocoa, baking extracts in a separate area of my pantry. Things like cocoa, garlic and paprika, cocoa, get taken out at some point during the year for chometz use. Matza meal, cake meal, ground nuts, some other things get stored in my freezer. Last year we put away a bag or two of store bought cookies in the freezer just as an experiment, and they tasted just as good this year.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics