Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Kashering counters with Kum Kum

TDmom

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 9:55 pm
Hi! Is this allowed? Can I heat up water in a kum kum (electric kettle) and pour it all over the counters? Or do I have to use a kashering pot and stone thing? (I’m asking, but I did it. And now have this niggling feeling that maybe it was too easy….) thanks!

Elfrida

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 10:06 pm
That's what I do. But really we hold that the material our counters are made of can't be koshered anyway. We do our best to remove any trace of chametz, and pouring boiling water is the final step. Then we cover them anyway.

zaq

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 11:38 pm
The water has to be boiling. What you use to boil it—electric, gas, wood fire, coal fire, nuclear power or buffalo chips—doesn’t matter.

happytobemom

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 1:09 am
zaq wrote:
The water has to be boiling. What you use to boil it—electric, gas, wood fire, coal fire, nuclear power or buffalo chips—doesn’t matter.

LOL LOL LOL

TDmom

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 10:04 am
Thank you!! I’m so relieved! For the record, it’s very efficient this way because of the spout. I got worried though when I realized I don’t know anyone that does it that way. The water is definitely boiling. Phew.

teachkids

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 10:36 am
It’s just slow to boil 1 kettle at a time...

Rappel

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 11:03 am
Pro tip: the water isn't boiling after it first touches the counter, so you have to pour it directly over each part - you can't just let it spread and pool everywhere.

And yes -- I prefer my kumkum to buffalo chips. XD
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions