Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Best Early Intervention agency in Boro Park?
1  2  Next

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:10 pm
The thread about EI agency in monsey made me think to ask here. I am looking for EI for my baby (needs OT and maybe others down the line), trying to figure out what my options are in boro park. I don't know why I didn't think to ask all you ladies here. So what agencies are there and which is better and why?

TIA

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:25 pm
Lately people have been having hatzlacha with step by step. They have some really good care managers on their staff.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:34 pm
13 years ago Challenge changed our child's life with their knowledge and direction.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:37 pm
Yeled v Yalda are incredible!!

cuties' mom

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:37 pm
I used step by step. My kids are teenagers now, so I don't know how much changed.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 2:39 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
The thread about EI agency in monsey made me think to ask here. I am looking for EI for my baby (needs OT and maybe others down the line), trying to figure out what my options are in boro park. I don't know why I didn't think to ask all you ladies here. So what agencies are there and which is better and why?

TIA

Another vote for step by step. They are great

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:27 pm
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
Yeled v Yalda are incredible!!

I didn't know yelled vyalda does early intervention. I thought they only start after 3 (I used them for a different child from 3 and on)

bsy

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:30 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
I didn't know yelled vyalda does early intervention. I thought they only start after 3 (I used them for a different child from 3 and on)

They definitely do ei

happy chick

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:34 pm
Rosemarie wrote:

I used step by step, I'm very happy. They're very professional and on top of my case.

However, just thinking ahead, not sure how old your child is, but if s/he is almost ready for headstart , if s/he will be on a yeled v'yalda program, you will need to have a re-evaluation so the child can get in the headstart program.

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:44 pm
happy chick wrote:
I used step by step, I'm very happy. They're very professional and on top of my case.

However, just thinking ahead, not sure how old your child is, but if s/he is almost ready for headstart , if s/he will be on a yeled v'yalda program, you will need to have a re-evaluation so the child can get in the headstart program.

My baby is only a few months old. But anyway, can you clarify this, I don't really understand what you're saying here?

amother
Lemonlime

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 3:46 pm
Rosemarie wrote:

Sure they have ei. My son is 10 and I've been with them since he's a baby

happy chick

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 4:10 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
My baby is only a few months old. But anyway, can you clarify this, I don't really understand what you're saying here?

I signed up with step by step, but my therapist isn't signed up with yeled, only sbs. So in September, when my child will iyh be attending a yvy site, I need to have a re-evaluation to sign up with yeled.

ETA - some schools/programs may be ok with having a therapist from another agency. Yeled doesn't allow it.

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 4:19 pm
happy chick wrote:
I signed up with step by step, but my therapist isn't signed up with yeled, only sbs. So in September, when my child will iyh be attending a yvy site, I need to have a re-evaluation to sign up with yeled.

Unless things changed in the past 5 years, anytime a child starts at a school based program they'd need to have a re-eval because services are provided by the DOE, not EI at that point. Even within the same agency. So if your child would've been receiving services through Yeled EI they still would need to be reevaluated to get services through the DOE once they start school. This is true even for a child in an early HeadStart program, even though they are still within the age group to get services through EI.

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 4:28 pm
So it seems from the responses that most people use step by step and are very happy. And that my other options would be challenge and yeled. Is there a value to starting with yeled from the start? I'll anyway need new evaluations each time I age out of a "division". I know when my kid turned 5 I needed new eval, even tho he was with yeled before 5 and after 5. So I assume same goes for before 3, for ei.

happy chick

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 4:31 pm
Rosemarie wrote:
So it seems from the responses that most people use step by step and are very happy. And that my other options would be challenge and yeled. Is there a value to starting with yeled from the start? I'll anyway need new evaluations each time I age out of a "division". I know when my kid turned 5 I needed new eval, even tho he was with yeled before 5 and after 5. So I assume same goes for before 3, for ei.

Yiddishe mama is correct about re-evaluation before age 3. And you're correct too about after age 5. Being that your son is so young, you don't know that he will still be needing services when he turns 3. The only reason I went with sbs is because when I called yeled, they gave me a bit of a run-around and I couldn't reach certain ppl, so I tried someone else. Bottom line buckles down to a good therapist.

Sunny Days

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 4:44 pm
Rosemarie wrote:

It really boils down to:
A) having a go getter SC who will make sure you get the services your child needs AND actually fill the mandate.

But, especially if your child is more than just a bit delayed or has a specific dx/needs a more nuanced modality-

B) doing your homework, networking yourself to see which OT/PT/Speech-feeding therapist will be more likely to fit and get your SC on the case to be on that therapists list for when other clients age out.

I think you can’t go wrong between SBS and challenge. (Don’t have experience with yvy.)

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 6:06 pm
Sunny Days wrote:
It really boils down to:
A) having a go getter SC who will make sure you get the services your child needs AND actually fill the mandate.

But, especially if your child is more than just a bit delayed or has a specific dx/needs a more nuanced modality-

B) doing your homework, networking yourself to see which OT/PT/Speech-feeding therapist will be more likely to fit and get your SC on the case to be on that therapists list for when other clients age out.

I think you can’t go wrong between SBS and challenge. (Don’t have experience with yvy.)

If a child has certain specific needs that requires a more specialized therapist or if an agency can't fill the mandate for some reason, you can always use a therapist from a different agency, even while under cm of the original agency. Im not sure exactly how that works, but they can guide you through it if it's needed. For example, a special needs baby I know has PT, speech, SI and feeding therapy through sbs, but the mother heard of a really good OT that was willing to take on the case, but she only works for Yeled. The case is still by sbs, but she has that one therapist working for a different agency. Her case manager and everything else is still a step by step. If you need PT, I know that Yeled was having a bit of a PT shortage this year. They had some, but not enough of the good ones.

yidisheh mama

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 6:15 pm
happy chick wrote:
Yiddishe mama is correct about re-evaluation before age 3. And you're correct too about after age 5. Being that your son is so young, you don't know that he will still be needing services when he turns 3. The only reason I went with sbs is because when I called yeled, they gave me a bit of a run-around and I couldn't reach certain ppl, so I tried someone else. Bottom line buckles down to a good therapist.

What I was referring to before wasn't specifically the child turning 3. My child that is now 7 needed that re-eval at a bit over 2 because he was enrolled in an Early Headstart program (not Yeled V'Yalda, and that Headstart did not even have their own therapists) and EI was not able to provide services for a child enrolled in Headstart. At that point, even if before 3, it falls under DOE domain.

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 6:42 pm
amother [ Impatiens ] wrote:
If a child has certain specific needs that requires a more specialized therapist or if an agency can't fill the mandate for some reason, you can always use a therapist from a different agency, even while under cm of the original agency. Im not sure exactly how that works, but they can guide you through it if it's needed. For example, a special needs baby I know has PT, speech, SI and feeding therapy through sbs, but the mother heard of a really good OT that was willing to take on the case, but she only works for Yeled. The case is still by sbs, but she has that one therapist working for a different agency. Her case manager and everything else is still a step by step. If you need PT, I know that Yeled was having a bit of a PT shortage this year. They had some, but not enough of the good ones.

I head that there is a general shortage in therapists this year, not sure why. But it's good to know I can use therapists from other agencies if the need arises.

Anyway, I honestly don't know what I need yet. Baby is a preemie. Is about 3 months old by now and from birth seemed super floppy all over. By now it's mainly the arms that seem floppy, like week muscles, sags to the back when I hold the baby. So I'm assuming that OT or maybe PT, not sure which. And as baby gets older we will see if anything else is needed, if baby isn't developing on par.

My experience with yeled (preschool and school age, not ei) was they are hard to get through to, even once a case manager is assigned, but they were always on top of technicalities. Now I'm with a different agency that services my older kid's school, and it's awful! There's nobody to talk to, my kid didn't get some services for half a year probably, it was such a mess. I don't know what I'm going to do for next year!

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Apr 24 2022, 6:43 pm
One or 2 imamothers mentioned challenge. Is that something to look into? Or just go with the majority and call step by step?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics