Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Reasons youre happy you didnt get a cheap kitchen?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:18 am
If your kitchen is white (either wood or modern mica type, whatever theyre calling the material they use now, thats not wood), are you happy you didnt go with a cheap kitchen?

I saw a few nice Fabuwood kitchens and Im wondering if the expensive semi custom and custom kitchens, both wood and laminate, really last that much longer, especially if theyre painted white.

If you have a painted white kitchen or a modern white formica looking kitchen, what are the reasons youre happy you didnt get a cheap kitchen?

Stained kitchens last very long, but do any white kitchens (either painted or modern formica looking) last long?

tia

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:21 am
My 5 year old white painted Holiday kitchen is coming apart. Hinges, drawers, finish. If you would see it youd be horrified.
My previous home depot stock kitchen held up way better.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:22 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
My 5 year old white painted Holiday kitchen is coming apart. Hinges, drawers, finish. If you would see it youd be horrified.

If you were putting in a white kitchen today, what would you put in?

amother
Coral

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:12 pm
For starters, I wouldnt do white, and if I did I would do maybe just the top section. And it would def not be a painted finish.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:38 pm
I have a cheap white kitchen. I didn’t choose it the builder did. It’s two years old and you can see wear and tear. I’m gong to want to rip it out soon and get quality cabinets.

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:47 pm
What is your budget because realistically that is going to impact your choices.

I think if your budget can afford it, then you should get at least middle of the road cabinets because they will last longer and you will also have the ability to get a better functioning kitchen. I think Kraftmaid or the equivalent which is a semi-custom is an excellent middle of the road option. Good quality and good choices.

You really don't want to skimp on something like cabinets because you will live with them for a long time as you can't just swap them out. You can change a faucet easily or you can change a ceiling fixture. Your an even change the counter to upgrade but you have to live with cabinets until you demolish the whole kitchen.

If you want a white kitchen you should get an MDF door - this is not to be confused with cheap furniture but is a high quality. The reason why is because wood contracts and expands based on humidity and temperature which is the reason why painted doors will show cracks. MDF is very stable and therefore the paint won't crack as the humidity changes.

You haven't mentioned function at all - keep in mind that part of the costs of a good kitchen are functional choices. For example deep drawers in lower cabinets are much preferable to doors but drawers are more expensive but worth it.

ETA - Also I recently remodeled and went with what I think are beautiful caramel stain wood cabinets. I love them and if you are concerned about trends, wood cabinets are becoming increasingly popular. I didn't get mine because of trends but because I love the warmth and beauty of wood. There are a lot of really ugly builder grade golden oak cabinets or people did very dark cherry cabinets a decade ago which is why I think people have bad associations with wood but if you take a look at some kitchen photos for inspiration you will find some that are gorgeous and you can have the kind of style you look - modern slab doors with a light finish or classic walnut or more traditional wood kitchen styles.

Last edited by Amarante on Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 12:47 pm
I got the cheapest white cabinets I could.

The white is already starting to chip, less than a year later.
The shelves are starting to warp.

When I replace my kitchen, it won't be the cheapest available, and it won't be white Smile

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 1:15 pm
1) Consider doing white only on the uppers.

2) I have had 2 clients put custom cabinets (Wellsford custom) in their kitchen and less expensive stock or semi-custom cabinets in other rooms and both have regretted it. I was at the home of one of them yesterday to repair a mis-aligned drawer slide in their stock dining room cabinets. I don't have that sort of problem with Wellsford.

3) TTS thermally textured surface doors (not painted, they're some sort of textured resin over fiberboard) seem to hold up well: https://www.wellsfordcabinetry...../#tts

4) Fabuwood is a stock line. It may be the best stock line (and I sell it). It's not that cheap. I have not heard that their finishes hold up much better than other stock lines although their construction quality seems to be more consistent. I personally would pay the premium for custom cabinets because the quality difference is worth paying for.

(Yes, I am a kitchen designer.)

SDmother

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 1:30 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:

I have a white holiday kitchen that is 4 years old and looks like it was just installed!!! I spent tons of time researching online what is the most impostant structural components to have and I upgraded all of those things. For example, I insisted on framed cabinets even though everyone does frameless nowadays because their longevity is much better. I also combined different components of using real wood/ MDF to optimize integrity of real wood VS the advantages of using MDF for paint.

In summary, I have absolutely no regrets spending the extra money ( was about 40% more for holiday than using fabuwood) but you need to be specific with your designer that you are looking for integrity/longevity in addition to aesthetics.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 2:00 pm
If anyone can give me a list of specifics to insist on, a list of dont get this, get that, naming everything that they feel is the inferior choice and the superior choice.

tia

SDmother

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 2:26 pm
You will get everything you need to know from this blog:

https://www.mainlinekitchendes.....ends/

Here is where they rate every cabinet company:

https://www.mainlinekitchendes.....ands/

tweety1

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 2:39 pm
I used to have a cheap in in stocks natural wood kitchen. After 10 years it was so gone. It started falling apart after about 5-6 years. We pushed it till we moved.

amother
Dill

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 3:26 pm
ETA - Also I recently remodeled and went with what I think are beautiful caramel stain wood cabinets. I love them and if you are concerned about trends, wood cabinets are becoming increasingly popular. I didn't get mine because of trends but because I love the warmth and beauty of wood. There are a lot of really ugly builder grade golden oak cabinets or people did very dark cherry cabinets a decade ago which is why I think people have bad associations with wood but if you take a look at some kitchen photos for inspiration you will find some that are gorgeous and you can have the kind of style you look - modern slab doors with a light finish or classic walnut or more traditional wood kitchen styles.[/quote]

I love my dark cherry cabinets!

amother
Poinsettia

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 4:59 pm
My white painted fabuwood cabinets are almost 3 years old and looking quite good, I get compliments on my kitchen often. There are a couple of minor nicks, I believe the type that would happen with any brand. No warping or anything like that. No regrets

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 5:17 pm
amother [ Dill ] wrote:

I love my dark cherry cabinets!

I wasn't maligning dark cherry cabinets which can be very elegant. I was merely taking the extreme opposite of a white kitchen in attempting to explain that one can have a very light kitchen that is stained wood.

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 5:26 pm
I did white, and did it with a Developer and was not allowed to upgrade.
I love the color. I find it easy to maintain. The wood however chips and I don’t like that.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 7:35 pm
It seems that everyones painted white kitchens get chipped.

Would you buy a white kitchen again because white makes the kitchen more spacious looking and clean?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 7:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It seems that everyones painted white kitchens get chipped.

Would you buy a white kitchen again because white makes the kitchen more spacious looking and clean?

I love the white, and poor quality wood gets chipped no matter what color, so yes I would.

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 8:07 pm
I have fabuwood. Confused
Is it really considered that bad? Is it really considered that cheap?

cupcake123

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 8:19 pm
We have cubitec white painted. So far so good but have for a pretty short while.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics