Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Food prices are outrageous- how are you managing?

westchestermom

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 3:52 pm
I try to buy real foods only, but with eggs 25 cents each I feel like I can't catch up! My well water isn't drinkable and even the price of water is through the roof. What are your go to cheap meals? I can't figure out what foods are still cheap besides cabbage and beans. I'm pregnant with baby number 4 and I am the only one working, I'd like to freeze dinners when I'm farther along but I think I'll have to save up to do that.

cbg

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 4:21 pm
Costco has chicken at a good price, they haven’t raised their prices.
Legs, drumsticks, thighs.
can you get someone to purchase for you?

Save all the bones after you roast the legs, you can use them for soup bones.

There are cheaper places to buy eggs.
If you tell us where you are located someone on here can chime in

Sometimes tuna cans go on sale. You can make tuna patties. I think Walmart has them at $0.78

Amarante

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 5:24 pm
Tofu is inexpensive and can be cooked in different ways.

You can make delicious plant and grain based recipes that are vegetarian or vegan. I eat animal protein and fish but I have made some great recipes that I enjoy just as much. Since there is no meat, any of the excellent vegetarian or vegan cookbooks are going to be kosher.

shaqued_almond

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 5:38 pm
Did you check Aldi? Cheaper eggs. Otherwise, legumes, soy, no brand names, less snacks.

qt'sMOM

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 5:38 pm
I make a lot of vegetarian food, but prices of fruits and vegetables are high too. I shop at Aldi for that, buying mostly what's on sale, and then look at the local grocery stores to see what sales they have advertised too. That's my best strategy. Eat what's on sale. Stock up, buying enough of each item as much as you think each item will last. Try to use mushy food for different things like make applesauce, or soup out of food past it's prime.

notna

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 5:46 pm
In my area, both Costco and Target had eggs for less. Probably Walmart and Aldi also, but I don't have those nearby.

chaya678

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 6:41 pm
If you live near a Costco or Walmart try shopping there. Also I find having a pre planned menu and shopping once durin the week helps save money.
You can try the concept of shelf cooking (using what you have and basing your dinner off of that and then just filling in what you need. Also if making chicken or meat make it your side not your main. Turn it into tacos or a stir fry. Shop sales and buy extra so you can make one for now and save another for post baby.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics