Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts
Inspirational songs from Tehillim
Previous  1  2

Simple1

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 9:25 pm
Tefila L'ani MBD
Ain Aroch Lecha

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 11:17 pm
Copper, thank you for your amazing lists!!!
I wish you a Refuah Shlayma also.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 12:16 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
Simcha Leiner has one.

Do you have a link to this?

edit: I found it. It's called V'atoh.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 11:27 pm
This is a beautiful (non-tehillim) song:
Nachamu by Ephy Greene

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 07 2022, 11:59 pm
Copper, I'm creating a spreadsheet with all these wonderful songs. But now I'm wondering if you could just share your Spotify playlist with me?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 1:32 am
Simple1 wrote:
Tefila L'ani MBD
Ain Aroch Lecha

I love these. I don't know which Ain Aroch Lecha you meant, but I can think of 2- one like traditional, sort of, that we sang in school. Another by Boruch Levine, beautiful song.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 1:34 am
Choirmistress wrote:
happytobemom was right on with where I remember Min haMeytzar being from: D'veykus VI. Also, hibiscus had a good suggestion with Sh'sulim b'veis Hashem, but isn't it from Kol Salonika?

Very possible. I think all those old songs are either Rabbi's Sons or Yigal Calek's... Very Happy

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 1:39 am
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
OP, I'm also struggling with depression. I haven't been able to bring myself to sing or even listen to inspirational songs from davening or Tehillim, though. I mostly end up singing or saying the most desperate and dark parts.

Last night I was up at 3 AM and this is what showed up on the paper:
בהתעטף עלי רוחי... הבט ימין וראה ואין לי מכיר אבד מנוס ממני ואין דורש לנפשי: זעקתי אליך ה'...: הקשיבה אל רנתי כי דלותי מאד הצילני מרודפי כי אמצו ממני: הוציאה ממסגר נפשי
עד אנה ה' תשכחני נצח עד אנה תסתיר את פניך ממני: עד אנה אשית עצות בנפשי יגון בלבבי יומם עד אנה ירום אויבי עלי:הביטה ענני ה' אלקי האירה עיני פן אישן המוות
קלי קלי למה עזבתני... אלקי אקרא יומם ולא תענה... כמים נשפכתי והתפרדו כל עצמותי היה לבי כדונג נמס בתוך מעי
כי אבי ואמי עזבוני
אשה קשת רוח אנכי
ואל תסתר פניך מעבדך כי צר לי מהר ענני
ממעמקים קראתיך ה' ה' שמעה בקולי תהיינה אזניך קשובות לקול תחנוני

This is so moving. I have certainly connected to these pesukim, too, at times. FYI, I know tunes for almost all of those.

One that is worth recommending to OP is Keli, Keli Lama azavtani- I can think of 2 songs to it but don't know whose they are.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 2:05 am
Sorry for the delay, OP. Here are some more suggestions:
Al tirah, ki ya'ashir ish (don't know whose, but old)
Lev Tahor (there are several)
Heitiva virtzoncha es Tzion (Carlebach? or I could be totally wrong)
Ach l'Elokim domi nafshi (Chabad. I know you said you're not chassidish, and neither am I Chabad, but I find this song so moving-look up the meaning of the words- that I think it's worth learning. I'm even including the link, in case I've convinced you Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VDrPw-RC34

Ekra L'eilokim Elyon (YBC/Shalsheles Jr.?)
Maybe someone mentioned earlier- Tov L'hodos LaHashem (old MBC)

You had originally asked for songs from Hallel (or did I just make that up?). There are many!
B'tzeis Yisrael- several, at least 3 from Bentzion Schenker/Modzhitz.
The classic tunes we sang in school, like Yevarech es Beis Yisrael...
Min Hametzar
Pischu Li (I like the one we sang in school, which is actually also a Chabad niggun. Avraham Fried sings that tune to the words "A tatte bistu, gur a getreiya...")
Keili Ata v'odecha (Also Chabad)
Al Naharos Bavel (the long one, we sang it in camp...?)

English, based on pasuk in Tehillim, but I love Abie Rotenberg's "He sits late at night...Ki vam chiyisani"

Just flipping through the sefer to find you more songs has been inspirational. The words, even without tunes, are so moving. Truly timeless. Thank you for providing the opportunity!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 8:09 am
Do you only want Tehillim? Because there's a lot of song throughout tefilla. Avinu Av Harachaman - the classic. A few mores songs in Ahava Raba (right now I'm thinking of Yehuda Glantz's Ki vshem kadsecha hagadol, which is the Tetris tune Wink or maybe TMI )

This morning when I said vhu yiftach libeinu Diaspora came to mind. Also - and this is really pretty - their Sim Shalom. (And of course Ivdu.)

I'll try to keep my eye out for pretty, and Tehillim.

Really, it sounds like a great plan, for all of us. Hatzlacha!

amother
Copper

Post Fri, Apr 08 2022, 1:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Copper, I'm creating a spreadsheet with all these wonderful songs. But now I'm wondering if you could just share your Spotify playlist with me?

https://open.spotify.com/playl.....749d2 (it's not under my name - that's the one I called Inspirational)

https://open.spotify.com/playl.....f4c7f (this is my Tehillim playlist, combines inspirational with catchier tunes)

https://open.spotify.com/playl.....e42c2 (this is my Sad playlist - overlaps somewhat with inspirational but sometimes I just need to cry)

happytobemom

Post Mon, Apr 25 2022, 10:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm creating a spreadsheet with all these wonderful songs.

OP, any way you can share that spreadsheet?

ImmaBubby

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 2:10 am
Everyone‘s suggestions are so inspiring…
I just wanted to add that if there is a particular posuk or even Perek of Tehillim that hasn’t yet been set to music, you could try to use the tune of one of your favorites and set it to those words. It might take a couple of times to get used to, but think of all your favorite tunes for kedusha or “keil Adone” that were originally something else.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Music and Performing Arts