Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Solution for two rooms that get freezing cold

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 1:11 am
Aside from a space heater?
Two rooms at the front of the house (second floor) get freezing cold in the winter. While the rest of the house is 72, those rooms will be 68 which feels really frigid.
I got another sensor (for nest thermostat) for that room but then the rest of the floor was 80 degrees while those rooms were 72! The other family members woke up in a sweat and found it hard to breathe at 80!

Any solutions???

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 1:16 am
I had the same issue. We purchased this heater for the room
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 1:17 am
Is the problem a lack of insulation in the walls or cracks where cold air is coming in? Or blocked air vents?

If it's insulation, you can get insulation blown into those walls.

If it's cracks, caulk them to close them up.

If it's blocked air vents, get them professionally cleaned.

I have found leaky door and window frames let in a HUGE amount of cold air. It's easy to feel with your hand. Weatherstripping or caulk fixes that quickly. We also covered window panes with heavier drapes and also applied bubble wrap for additional insulation (very easy, spray window with water, put on bubble wrap, bubble side on glass. comes right off).

amother
Stonewash

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 1:19 am
When we had that problem we added another steam on a different wall

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 1:20 am
Are the doors to those rooms open or closed?
I just figured out that if I leave the door open to the two coldest bedrooms (kids sleep in them, I normally close all doors so they don’t get woken up from kids who wake up before them) it made a huge difference. Dh closes them when he leave to vasikin in the morning.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 3:21 am
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Is the problem a lack of insulation in the walls or cracks where cold air is coming in? Or blocked air vents?

I have found leaky door and window frames let in a HUGE amount of cold air. It's easy to feel with your hand. Weatherstripping or caulk fixes that quickly. We also covered window panes with heavier drapes and also applied bubble wrap for additional insulation (very easy, spray window with water, put on bubble wrap, bubble side on glass. comes right off).

This!

amother
Magnolia

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 6:05 am
we have eletric heaters installed permanently on the walls of a few rooms.

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, Feb 27 2022, 6:14 am

Can you recommend a company that blows instulation into the walls? I have the same issue with my bedroom walls. My bedroom gets freezing 🥶 in the winter.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 04 2022, 11:19 am

I don’t know what the problem is. Why would only two rooms of this new construction home have leaky window frames?
How do I figure out what the issue is?

kollel_wife

Post Fri, Mar 04 2022, 11:43 am
If these rooms are further from the heating unit than other rooms, they will get less air. You can put another duct opening in the rooms also, so that more heat enters from more than one spot, which helps with this problem to a degree.

TCR

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 2:44 pm
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:
Can you recommend a company that blows instulation into the walls? I have the same issue with my bedroom walls. My bedroom gets freezing 🥶 in the winter.

I know someone who does this in NY. PM me if still shayach

Librarian

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 4:22 pm
I just added a heating/cooling unit called a "Split" to a room that is always much colder than the rest of my house which is heated and cooled by forced air. HVAC guy charged $3500 total for a very large room. It is installed on the wall and has an outdoor compressor on the back of my house. I am very happy wish I would have done years ago.

Librarian

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 4:25 pm
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:

I have added insulation it helped but not that much. The insulation guy told me adding insulation is a part of the solution but not enough on it's own. Weather caulking helped more than adding insulation. But adding the Split was amazing. Room is actually WARM

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 5:59 pm
I have the opposite but related problem - the bedrooms get too warm while the rest of the house is still freezing. The thermostats are located outside the bedrooms and the bedrooms have a higher proportion of heater to space (I.e. if the heater is along one wall, that wall accounts for more of the bedroom while in the living room it's a smaller part of the room and it's not in the hallway at all) so basically I know exactly why it's a problem but no idea what to do about it. Keeping doors open definitely helps but is not a practical solution because we have a mix of boys/girls/pets/guests who need doors closed at various times.

mfb

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 6:00 pm
If it’s central heat than close the ducts in the other bedrooms and leave those open.
Even with it closed some heat will get into those rooms and the others will get more heat into them

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 6:08 pm
Not central. Radiators that go along the bottom of the wall.
ETA I realize now that question was directed at OP, but filling in the detail for my situation too in case any of the hvac experts on here can advise.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, May 16 2022, 8:24 am
OP: Are these rooms cantilevered? (Meaning they stick out past the floor below for a few feet) we had this temp difference issue. We considered doing blown insulation but the insulation ppl said filling the floor that sticks out (by them removing the flashing outside and filling with rolled insulation) will make more of a difference than wall insulation. If I were u I would have them come out to check. Maybe during construction they forgot to add that type of insulation or wall or attic insulation. I think it made a noticeable difference. It's still slightly colder but not as bad as before.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics