Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Smoky Chickpea, Red Lentil & Vegetable Soup

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 1:49 pm
This was a very good soup and came together quickly with staples in most people's kitchens.

I use a stick blender because it is so much easier than transferring to a blender because I inevitably spill it when I used transfer. Just take out the amount you don't want pureed and puree in the pot.

Smoky paprika is really delicious and worth getting if you have never tried it.

Smoky Chickpea, Red Lentil & Vegetable Soup

By Jennifer Segal - Once Upon A Chef
This warming, satisfying lentil and vegetable soup comes together in just 30 minutes.

Servings: 6
Total Time: 30 Minutes

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 large carrot, diced
Heaping ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
¾ teaspoon ground cumin
4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
⅓ cup red lentils
½ teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup cooked vegetables, such as frozen peas or chopped green beans

INSTRUCTIONS

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, smoked paprika and cumin; cook, stirring frequently so the garlic doesn't brown, about 2 minutes more.

Add the broth, diced tomatoes, red lentils, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil.

Cover the pot and reduce the heat to a simmer; cook for ten minutes. Add the chickpeas, cover the pot and cook 10 minutes more. Fish out the bay leaves, then transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender and purée until smooth (be sure to remove the center knob on the blender and cover with a dishtowel to avoid splatters). Add the puréed soup back to the pot and stir. Taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary; if you want the soup to be thicker, purée a bit more soup. Add the cooked vegetables and simmer until the soup is hot and the vegetables are warmed through. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost the soup in the refrigerator for 12 hours and then reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until hot. through.

scruffy

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 3:01 pm
Looks delicious! Would you describe the flavor as tomato forward, or it is just in the background?

Amarante

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 3:07 pm
scruffy wrote:
Looks delicious! Would you describe the flavor as tomato forward, or it is just in the background?

It's not a tomato soup - but I don't know because there are a lot of vegetable type of soups that use a can of tomatoes which I don't think of as having strong tomato flavors like a minestrone

But I am comparing them to a true tomato soup or gazpacho.

So I guess in the background as compared to Campbells Tomato Soup

hodeez

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 3:09 pm
I make something like this but use tomato paste instead of the diced tomatoes and add coriander. Tastes amazing

scruffy

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 3:10 pm
Amarante wrote:
It's not a tomato soup - but I don't know because there are a lot of vegetable type of soups that use a can of tomatoes which I don't think of as having strong tomato flavors like a minestrone

But I am comparing them to a true tomato soup or gazpacho.

So I guess in the background as compared to Campbells Tomato Soup

Thanks!

etky

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 12:29 am
hodeez wrote:
I make something like this but use tomato paste instead of the diced tomatoes and add coriander. Tastes amazing

I also make something like this with lots of fresh cilantro but I use diced fresh tomatoes.
It's not tomatoe-y at all. They are very much in the background.
I have a tomato-averse family and they eat it happily.
My recipe doesn't call for smoked paprika though. Cumin and coriander are the dominant flavors.
I'm going to try this recipe though. The smoky flavor profile sounds very appealing.

twizzlers1

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:29 am
Oh wow that looks so good I think I might make that today. My dad was just telling me I need to try smoked paprika and I keep forgetting to get it so hopefully I will remember today.

mommyfish

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 2:21 am
Made this tonight and it was delicious. Thanks for sharing!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics