Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Help with night bedwetting for dd5?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 11:56 am
My dd is 5, and still bedwetting at night. I know this is very normal, and she's not so old to be still doing this, but it upsets her so much. (Especially since her brother age 4 is dry at night and wearing underwear.) Of course we're matter of fact about it, change her, don't make her feel bad or make a big deal, tell her she will grow out of it... etc
But she's so sad and frustrated. Probably embarrassed too. She doesn't want to sleep by her grandmother with her cousins because of it.
So we'd like to help her.
We've tried limiting drinks, she goes to the bathroom before bed and makes sure "it's all out", we "wake her and take her" in the night... nothing helps.
We don't want to use medication at this point, and I havent heard good things about alarms for this age.
I'm open to different modalities - cranial, chiro, like that. Or specific supplements that may help. Or dietary changes? She seems healthy.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 12:22 pm
All my kids were bedwetters - a strong genetic component from my husband's side of the family. My kids never had a dry night, ok, not never, maybe once in 6 months.

We saw tremendous success with the Malem bedwetting alarm (spoke to a surgical supply store, they say that's the best). My oldest kid completed the 12 weeks successfully, my second one needed it for just a few weeks before stopping to use it, the next one, also, didn't need the whole 12 weeks etc.

(two of them were older than 5 when they used the alarm, the third was 4 1/2)

I highly recommend it.

Hatzlacha

naomi2

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 1:07 pm
It's a possibility that an ot can help. If the spinal galant reflex is not Integrated, it can cause bed wetting. They can show you exercises or movements to help with that. Of course if the root cause is something else, it won't help. The ot will be able to test for it though so you will know right way if that is the issue.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 1:12 pm
Is she a mouth breather? Kids who have narrow airways, enlarged tonsils or adenoids, tongue ties or otherwise compromised airways don’t sleep deeply enough for sufficient vassopressin release which tells the kidneys to output less urine at night. Addressing airways and sleep issues can help a lot. Magnesium, b vitamins and extra thiamine (b1) are also a great way to support the autonomic nervous system, which control urine output and urination at night.
You may also want to check her for chronic strep via bloodwork, it’s been known to cause bed wetting issues.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 3:33 pm
Who can check for airway issues?

Ma3

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 3:41 pm
I used the program and alarm from Dr Sagie for some of my kids and really loved it. As someone else stated, genetics plays a role too and some of my kids had that issue. One child wasn't ready and after a few weeks of trying the alarm I just gave up and waited to reintroduce it when he was a bit older and that helped. Definitely parents have to be ready and on board to go through the process, not just the child cause there can be many wet nights at first. But it really worked very quickly for a different child. His body was ready and within 2 weeks the bedwetting was gone. He gives exercises for kids to do also, it's not just an alarm.

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Apr 26 2022, 3:46 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Who can check for airway issues?
ENT, airway informed orthodontist, myofunctional therapist

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 7:05 am
Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We will look into them. Much appreciated.
Has anyone used an alternative practitioner that helped with this?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training