Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Baby boy money to cheder?

newinbp

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 8:03 am
B"H Hi quick question - when a boy is born do parents give money to a cheder symbolically and/or register him for cheder? If a donation to cheder around how much? Live in boro Park for reference but baal teshuva and not sure what is done, thought I heard of something like this once..thanks!

imafriend

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 8:06 am
Never heard of such a thing.

When baby is 7 days old we do call the cheder down to send the boys for krias shema leining.
The boys are given pekalech and the melamdim and driver that bring them get a 10-20$ tip.

balance

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 9:45 am
I never heard of it. We invited neighbors for kriyas shema the night before the bris. I never heard of doing that through a cheder although I guess it is a practical suggestion if you don't know any little boys. The first contact with cheder is when they turn 3 and go to cheder to say aleph bais.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 9:47 am
When the boys from the class come to say the shema, then usually the boys father gifts the Rebbe coming with his class with some money. That's as far as I go with the donation thing.

Blessing1

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 9:52 am
balance wrote:
I never heard of it. We invited neighbors for kriyas shema the night before the bris. I never heard of doing that through a cheder although I guess it is a practical suggestion if you don't know any little boys. The first contact with cheder is when they turn 3 and go to cheder to say aleph bais.

In my circles, a class from cheder comes to say shema the day of the vachtnacht. The fathers may tip the Rebbi.
OP, this is not a must to do. If you have connection to a certain cheder, you can call them but it's totally fine if a class doesn't come.

scintilla

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 10:08 am
I'm Chabad and it is our minhag, see here: https://www.chabad.org/therebb.....I.htm

"It is our custom to make an advance payment on tuition fees for the boy's studies. (Here the Rebbe gave a sum of money and said): This is for the Yeshiva."

newinbp

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 2:44 pm
scintilla wrote:
I'm Chabad and it is our minhag, see here: https://www.chabad.org/therebb.....I.htm

"It is our custom to make an advance payment on tuition fees for the boy's studies. (Here the Rebbe gave a sum of money and said): This is for the Yeshiva."

Ok that must have been what Ive heard mentioned through the grapevine, thanks. About how much money do people typically donate? I mean it's still not a guarantee your child will be accepted to that school they still have to apply later on..is it just symbolic kind of?

scintilla

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 2:50 pm
newinbp wrote:
Ok that must have been what Ive heard mentioned through the grapevine, thanks. About how much money do people typically donate? I mean it's still not a guarantee your child will be accepted to that school they still have to apply later on..is it just symbolic kind of?

Yes, it's just symbolic, I only have 1 boy so don't remember so clearly how much we gave but one of the Crown Heights yeshivos has a page specifically for this kind of donation on their website so we just donated to them even though we don't necessarily plan on sending there. I'm sure a token donation to any yeshiva would work.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics