Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Magazine Column Idea -Where Do I Begin?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:08 pm
I have an idea for a great column in a magazine but here's where I'm stuck;

I'd need input from a professional
Not sure which step to take first

I've only written free content up until this point. Advice please!

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:36 pm
Start by thinking about the magazines you know and figure out which one's audience would most appreciate your content. Write an email to the editor (address is generally in one of the front pages of the magazine) asking about their pitch process. Don't give away your full idea but give a general sense of what it's about. Attach a sample of something you've published before that shows your writing style.

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:37 pm
seeker wrote:
Start by thinking about the magazines you know and figure out which one's audience would most appreciate your content. Write an email to the editor (address is generally in one of the front pages of the magazine) asking about their pitch process. Don't give away your full idea but give a general sense of what it's about. Attach a sample of something you've published before that shows your writing style.

Just curious, why not give away your full idea? Wouldn't they be more interested once they see the idea?

pause

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:43 pm
amother [ Charcoal ] wrote:
Just curious, why not give away your full idea? Wouldn't they be more interested once they see the idea?

They might just use your idea without your permission. Of course they'll make slight changes so it's not actually stealing..., but you'd lose any rights to compensation.

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:46 pm

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:47 pm

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 1:58 pm
Okay thanks and regarding bringing in a professional to join me in the articles how does that work? Am I going to have to pay the professional? Does the magazine cover that?

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 2:00 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Okay thanks and regarding bringing in a professional to join me in the articles how does that work? Am I going to have to pay the professional? Does the magazine cover that?

In my experience, many professionals are eager to get their name out there and don't need any compensation. It's the best form of advertising for them.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 27 2022, 9:11 pm
Some magazines already have relationships with professionals in various fields so unless you have someone specific in mind, you could ask them to hook you up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room