Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Make dough tonight and bake tomorrow?

Hashemlovesme1

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 4:11 pm
I bake challah a lot, but only on the same day as making the dough. If I make the dough sometime tonight and bake tomorrow, do I let it rise before refrigerating tonight or after taking out of fridge tomorrow? Or both? For how long? And how do I store it in fridge? Any other tips? Thanks!

zaq

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 4:19 pm
Do not rise first; let it rise the first time in the fridge overnight, punch down in the morning, shape your loaves and do the second rise. The second rise will take longer than usual because the dough will be cold. Speed up the process a bit by putting it in a warm place like a closed oven with a pan of hot water on the lowest shelf or the oven light switched on.

Cover with a layer of plastic wrap before refrigerating right in the mixing bowl. Check it a few times before you go to bed; you may need to punch it down a bit so that it doesn't overflow the bowl overnight.

challahchallah

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 4:49 pm
Are you wanting to make the dough tonight, then shape and bake tomorrow or would you rather make the dough and shape tonight, and just bake tomorrow? You can do either but the timing is a little different.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 5:05 pm
zaq wrote:
Do not rise first; let it rise the first time in the fridge overnight, punch down in the morning, shape your loaves and do the second rise. The second rise will take longer than usual because the dough will be cold. Speed up the process a bit by putting it in a warm place like a closed oven with a pan of hot water on the lowest shelf or the oven light switched on.

Cover with a layer of plastic wrap before refrigerating right in the mixing bowl. Check it a few times before you go to bed; you may need to punch it down a bit so that it doesn't overflow the bowl overnight.

Thank you!!

Hashemlovesme1

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 5:07 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Are you wanting to make the dough tonight, then shape and bake tomorrow or would you rather make the dough and shape tonight, and just bake tomorrow? You can do either but the timing is a little different.

I didn’t know that was possible! How would you time the rising if you shape tonight and then bake tomorrow?
I was planning to shape tomorrow only because I thought it might work better because of fridge space, but I’d love to hear how it could work.

sky

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 5:12 pm
I shape.
Put in fridge.
Leave on counter for about an hour. While oven pre- heats then bake.

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 5:12 pm
I have done it many times, sometimes when I cover with plastic, it has a fermented smell/taste.

Living Princess

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 5:15 pm
I let mine rise the second time on a very low temperature. Like 100 Fahrenheit. Once they've risen put your oven on to 350.

Hashemlovesme1

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 11:47 pm
Thank you everyone!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads