Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
My 5 year old hates wearing Tzitzis because

What age do your boys wear Tzitzis every day
We start once toilet trained  
 36%  [ 19 ]
At 3  
 59%  [ 31 ]
When he’s comfortable at 4/5  
 3%  [ 2 ]
They don’t wear- I’ll explain  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 52

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 4:48 am
The strings get stuck and dirty when he needs to go to the toilet. B”H he’s very hygiene conscience. Ok maybe a little extreme. He has a uniform button down shirt and makes me unbutton it every time he needs the toilet too take off his Tzitzis.

Also, don’t want him driving his teachers mad in school about taking everything off if he needs to go.

Yes, he’s sensory (drives me crazy every time we put on his socks) and we’re working on it.

I don’t push the Tzitzis, but should I ?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 4:51 am
Definitely do not push tzitzis if he is having a hard time with them.

That being said, my aunt teaches her boys to roll up the bottom of their shirts, which holds the tzitzis well out of the way of the toilet. Can you try teaching him a trick like that?

If he's not ready for it, I'd shelve the tzitzis for a few weeks and try again. You want him to love the mitzvah, not hate it.

Goldie613

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 5:10 am
One of the brands of t-shirt tzizis (sorry, I don't recall which one off hand) have a little pocket in each corner that the strings can be tucked into. I'm guessing it's for laundry purposes, but could that work for him (as in, the strings get tucked in before he goes to school)?

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 5:12 am
A tip that I learned from this site is to either buy the tzitzis that have an opening at the top of the corner squares creating a pocket for the tzitzis to be tucked into, or create the hole with a seamripper on any pair

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 7:13 am
I teach my boys to gather all four strings in one hand before or as soon as the sit down on the toilet. They can use their second hand to wipe.

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 7:26 am
My six year old still takes them off before going to the bathroom. He learnt to pull
Them out over the top of his head through his collar. (He refuses undershirt tzizis for this reason) (he then leaves them in my downstairs bathroom, which is a whole diff issue lol) but (excuse the tmi) he’s pretty regular so this happens every day when he gets home from school. If had this issue in school not sure this solution would help…

amother
Maize

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 7:37 am
You just need to unbutton the top few buttons and take his tzitzis off that way.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:20 am
In second grade my son started wearing daily

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:27 am
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
Definitely do not push tzitzis if he is having a hard time with them.

That being said, my aunt teaches her boys to roll up the bottom of their shirts, which holds the tzitzis well out of the way of the toilet. Can you try teaching him a trick like that?

If he's not ready for it, I'd shelve the tzitzis for a few weeks and try again. You want him to love the mitzvah, not hate it.

This is a a good idea! I’ll try!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:27 am
amother [ Glitter ] wrote:
I teach my boys to gather all four strings in one hand before or as soon as the sit down on the toilet. They can use their second hand to wipe.

He’s not coordinated enough.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 9:11 am
If you're working on his sensory issues with an OT, you can definitely include this as a goal.

My son was similar, it took till age 6 1/2 to regularly wear them and successfully navigate the bathroom with tzitzis on.

One thing I saw ppl do, is cut the strings of the tzitzis very short so they don't reach all the way down. So this way if they don't have the dexterity to manipulate the strings they still feel as if they are wearing the appropriate big-boy clothes. By the time I saw this idea, it was kind of too late for us, but I thought it was brilliant.

amother
Maroon

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 9:32 am
when you dress him in the morning, pull the strings to the sides and group them with an elastic band on each side so they are stuck on the sides and not in frnt or behind.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers