Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Matzah Storage Instructions Please

kenz

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:20 pm
Please help! I know people on other threads have said they store Matzah from year to year, and others have said it can get wormy, so I would truly appreciate clear instructions from people how they store it properly. I do NOT want worms (obviously). I have several pounds of round shmurah matzah left and I do not have enough freezer space. What kind of plastic bags do you use that fit and ensure adequate storage to avoid worms?
Thank you!

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:22 pm
I’ve never had it get wormy and I save every year. Worse is it gets stale.

The Best way to store is seal on large (2 gallon) zip lock bags. Squeeze out air. I triple wrap in shopping bags and store in my large freezer. It doesn’t get stale this way.

If I don’t have freezer space I do the same but store in a cabinet. It’s not as fresh this way. But we’ll toast it a few minutes before the meal and it’s fine then.

kenz

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:28 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
I’ve never had it get wormy and I save every year. Worse is it gets stale.

The Best way to store is seal on large (2 gallon) zip lock bags. Squeeze out air. I triple wrap in shopping bags and store in my large freezer. It doesn’t get stale this way.

If I don’t have freezer space I do the same but store in a cabinet. It’s not as fresh this way. But we’ll toast it a few minutes before the meal and it’s fine then.

Thanks for responding! Do you wrap each matzah invidiually or a bunch together? I tried a 2 gallon storage bag and it didn't seem to fit - but I didn't try one at a time. I'm not so sure I'd be saving money then though...
It doesn't break when you squeeze out the air?

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:30 pm
kenz wrote:
Thanks for responding! Do you wrap each matzah invidiually or a bunch together? I tried a 2 gallon storage bag and it didn't seem to fit - but I didn't try one at a time. I'm not so sure I'd be saving money then though...
It doesn't break when you squeeze out the air?

Maybe there is 2.5 gallon?
Def don’t store individually.
Squeeze air gently. Doesn’t have to be all of it. I’m not so exact.

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:31 pm
If it is still in bag from store maybe just wrap in that?

kenz

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:35 pm
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
If it is still in bag from store maybe just wrap in that?

I don't feel like it's enough - the bag from the store is more like crinkly cellophane. I'm afraid bugs/worms could get in. (I'm a little phobic like that.)
I do see they sell 2.5 gallon bags in Target, Amazon, etc. I'll try that.
Thank you!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:44 pm
I wouldn't store in the freezer for fear of getting moisture/ condensation and then they would be gebrochts.
I leave them in boxes on top of my seforim shrank and put them in the oven for a few minutes before using them. Honestly, the "fresh" matzos I bought this year were terribly stale and very unpleasant to eat the first day when we couldn't warm them

eta: I never had worms, doing it for years

kenz

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 1:18 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I wouldn't store in the freezer for fear of getting moisture/ condensation and then they would be gebrochts.
I leave them in boxes on top of my seforim shrank and put them in the oven for a few minutes before using them. Honestly, the "fresh" matzos I bought this year were terribly stale and very unpleasant to eat the first day when we couldn't warm them

eta: I never had worms, doing it for years

Do you wrap them or just leave them as is?

kenz

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 5:58 pm
Just to update, I got huge challah storage bags in Bingo, put the whole box of matzah inside and then double-bagged it, and am hoping for the best!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 11:39 am
kenz wrote:
Do you wrap them or just leave them as is?

As is
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics