Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Redoing kitchen- what’s the process? Recommendations please
Previous  1  2

amother
Eggplant

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 2:14 pm
I think 60k is enough. I'm in middle of the process with prestige kitchens. Their kitchen designer is great and I'm really happy with the renderings and they totally stayed within my budget which is less than that.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 2:18 pm
My budget is project total. Not just kitchen cabinets. It needs to include flooring, counters, appliances etc

amother
NeonGreen

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 2:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My budget is project total. Not just kitchen cabinets. It needs to include flooring, counters, appliances etc

My 45k includes cabinets, counters, flooring, painting, (some) appliances, lighting, painting, backsplash, labor. Please look around, because even though prices went up, you still should be able to do it for 60k.

amother
Azalea

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 2:39 pm
I can post my breakdown.

Cabinets 25k
Appliances 20k
Flooring 3.5
Lighting 1.5
Countertops/ backsplash 12k
Faucet, sinks, handles, pot filler 3 k

Contractor $4k
Workers $10k
Kitchen installation $3.5k

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 3:26 pm
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
I can post my breakdown.

Cabinets 25k
Appliances 20k
Flooring 3.5
Lighting 1.5

Contractor $4k
Workers $10k

This is really helpful. Thank you!

SDmother

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 3:29 pm
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
I can post my breakdown.

Cabinets 25k
Appliances 20k
Flooring 3.5
Lighting 1.5

Contractor $4k
Workers $10k

This seems really realistic as are about 25% more than what I paid right before carona

amother
Stonewash

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 4:03 pm
If you know of someone in your neighborhood who recently redid their kitchen, ask to see it. If you like the design, ask for the names of the designer and contractor they used.

Usually, people are very happy to show off their new kitchens and share information.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 4:23 pm
amother [ Stonewash ] wrote:
If you know of someone in your neighborhood who recently redid their kitchen, ask to see it. If you like the design, ask for the names of the designer and contractor they used.

Usually, people are very happy to show off their new kitchens and share information.

Yes, checked out 4 different ones with the same model house. Have lots of do and don’t
Can’t copy any layout exactly though due to different reasons…

mom39

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 6:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kitchen is in desperate need to be replaced. I keep pushing it off because I can’t figure out how to go about it. I’m very indecisive and have a hard time choosing things. I need hand holding.
Who do I call first? A designer? Decorator? Space planner? Contractor?
A kitchen place wrote me up a plan but how do I get what best suits my needs?

Thank you in advance

You sound exactly like me. I want to do my kitchen for years already but am terribly indecisive and, yes, I need hand holding. I literally start getting a panic attack when I think about it.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 6:39 pm
You can use an outside designer to do your layout. They meet with you and work through what you want in a kitchen. This way you can price kitchens out to compare. Most often the kitchen places will give a significant discount if you bring in an outside design.

Here are three reputable kitchen designers in Lakewood:
Rivka Birnhack - (732) 942-7008
Ruchie Friedman - (732) 415-8457
Leah Weingarten -(732) 961-2101

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 1:10 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My kitchen is in desperate need to be replaced. I keep pushing it off because I can’t figure out how to go about it. I’m very indecisive and have a hard time choosing things. I need hand holding.
Who do I call first? A designer? Decorator? Space planner? Contractor?
A kitchen place wrote me up a plan but how do I get what best suits my needs?

Thank you in advance

When I read your post, for a moment I thought that I had written it -- seriously! This describes me to a tee, with the exception that I live in Brooklyn, NY...

Our kitchen is decades old... and this project is long overdue. But I too, do not know where to start. The idea of having to work with several different individuals -- cabinet guy, counter guy, a contractor etc is just so overwhelming. Are places that specialize in kitchen design much more expensive? (as compared with finding the various individuals on my own).

My house is 20x100, and I have a relatively small, L-shaped kitchen. My budget is around 70k, but the kitchen needs to be gutted -- doing everything from scratch; not just remodeling.

I will start my own thread, so that I don't 'hijack' yours. Hatzlacha Raba OP. I know it is overwhelming, but one step at a time you can do this.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 1:20 pm
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
When I read your post, for a moment I thought that I had written it -- seriously! This describes me to a tee, with the exception that I live in Brooklyn, NY...

Our kitchen is decades old... and this project is long overdue. But I too, do not know where to start. The idea of having to work with several different individuals -- cabinet guy, counter guy, a contractor etc is just so overwhelming. Are places that specialize in kitchen design much more expensive? (as compared with finding the various individuals on my own).

My house is 20x100, and I have a relatively small, L-shaped kitchen. My budget is around 70k, but the kitchen needs to be gutted -- doing everything from scratch; not just remodeling.

I will start my own thread, so that I don't 'hijack' yours. Hatzlacha Raba OP. I know it is overwhelming, but one step at a time you can do this.

In terms of process you need to find a designer and a GC. You definitely do not want to hire all of the individuals and act as your own general contractor.

The best place to start is with a good kitchen designer. It is probably difficult to locate an "independent designer" so your best bet is to find one who you "click" with at a kitchen design store. They will generally be able to recommend a GC and then you do due diligence on the GC in terms of checking out references and also asking to see work that is done or in process.

Visit as many kitchen design stores as possible because the cabinet lines will differ and you will be able to get a sense of what each designer would be like to work with.

When I started my remodel I was a complete neophyte and I had similarly put off doing even relatively minor things because it seemed overwhelming and ALSO because if I changed one thing it would have snowballed into everything inevitably so I was frozen.

If you find talented and reliable designer and GC they will help you through the process. While price is of course important do not go for the cheapest one - go for the best one you can afford.

And as I have posted while you are thinking about it, save pictures of kitchens you like; read about kitchens so that you are familiar with features that you would find useful; research appliances; and also read a bit about general construction of kitchens so you can interface with the professionals intelligently. You won't know how to do it yourself but at least you will have some sense of what you are paying for and whether the "professionals" are blowing smoke up your dress. For example - very important that you communicate with the person who is laying your counter so that you see the template and know exactly where the seams will be - just an example. Or do you want framed or frameless - full overlay or inset doors? Do you know when MDF is better than plywood? Just examples of basic stuff to know about so that the end result is as good as possible.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries