Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Parmesan cheese
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 6:33 am
is it healthier than e.g cheddar, gouda?

more nutritious in any way?

hows the taste?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 6:49 am
Depends on what you mean by healthier.
It has less fat but more sodium.

It depends on your personal needs. I have a very hard time with “what is healthier” question. It is like in shidduchim asking which is the better guy? It all depends on the girl.

ysydmom

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 6:55 am
The basic rule of thumb is that everything is healthy in moderation. As long as you are eating healthy most of the time and drinking water you should be fine with any type of cheese. Cheeses have calcium and are healthy for our bodies.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 7:40 am
amother [ Lightgreen ] wrote:
Depends on what you mean by healthier.
It has less fat but more sodium.

It depends on your personal needs. I have a very hard time with “what is healthier” question. It is like in shidduchim asking which is the better guy? It all depends on the girl.

after googling it seems to have the same or more fat than cheddar and gouda.

I am actually not looking to decrease fat intake.

I mean is it more nutritious in proteins, minerals and vitamins ?

amother
Lightgreen

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 7:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
after googling it seems to have the same or more fat than cheddar and gouda.

I am actually not looking to decrease fat intake.

I mean is it more nutritious in proteins, minerals and vitamins ?

Some are higher in one and some are higher in the other.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:33 am
Properly aged Parmesan and Gouda are high in vitamin K2 which is otherwise hard to obtain from the diet

Amarante

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:50 am
It's comparing apples to oranges because Gouda and Cheddar are relatively soft cheeses and are used generally in different ways than Parmesan cheese.

Parmesan is a hard cheese and is generally used in smaller quantities to add flavor or otherwise enhance a dish. The most common use is sprinkled on an Italian tomato based pasta dish but it can also be used mixed into bread crumbs for a more delicious coating or topping.

. However in general foods that depend on large amounts of cheese will be more calories than other food choices - I.e. a cheese sandwich or a cheese casserole is different than a chicken sandwich.

People don't generally eat the same quantity of Parmesan as they do a soft cheese. An ounce of cheese is a very small amount of Cheddar or Gouda and so typically people would be eating more of a soft or semi-soft cheese.

amother
Freesia

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 8:54 am
Parmesan cheese can be healthier because a little goes a long way (it has a strong taste) so you eat less. Eating less high fat food is generally healthier.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 9:11 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Properly aged Parmesan and Gouda are high in vitamin K2 which is otherwise hard to obtain from the diet

I once asked if aged cheese is more nutritious and I was told its just diff in taste. so thanks for telling me that its got vit k2.

can parmesan be not properly aged? the brands yummy and haolam are properly aged? cheddar and gouda can be young but parmesan too?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Apr 29 2022, 9:13 am
amother [ Freesia ] wrote:
Parmesan cheese can be healthier because a little goes a long way (it has a strong taste) so you eat less. Eating less high fat food is generally healthier.

healthy fats are very healthy. I look out for healthy fat foods for my kids like avocado, heavy cream, cheese evoo olive oil etc. the higher the fat the better. I avoid low fat dairy products completely.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 2:50 pm
For starters, cheese can only be as healthy as the cows and the milk it comes from, and they in turn will only be as healthy as their feed. So there’s that. That aside, real artisanal cheeses made from raw milk and properly aged are an excellent source of friendly bacteria. So if you were talking raw Parmesan from organic grass fed cows made artistically in small batches, I can hear the case for it being healthy, provided you have a strong gut and can properly digest casein.
I highly doubt any commercial CY Parmesan on our local grocery shelves fit this bill. So no, I don’t consider it healthy.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 3:00 pm
amother [ Candycane ] wrote:
For starters, cheese can only be as healthy as the cows and the milk it comes from, and they in turn will only be as healthy as their feed. So there’s that. That aside, real artisanal cheeses made from raw milk and properly aged are an excellent source of friendly bacteria. So if you were talking raw Parmesan from organic grass fed cows made artistically in small batches, I can hear the case for it being healthy, provided you have a strong gut and can properly digest casein.
I highly doubt any commercial CY Parmesan on our local grocery shelves fit this bill. So no, I don’t consider it healthy.

I hear you
But it’s not bad for you if your body can tolerate it
AND
You don’t over indulge
Over indulge even healthy foods is not healthy

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 3:06 pm
children from asian and third world countries grew taller when immigrating and including dairy products and animal protein into their diets, so definitely some good in there...

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 3:17 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
children from asian and third world countries grew taller when immigrating and including dairy products and animal protein into their diets, so definitely some good in there...

That is an quite an imaginative connection you made there.

If the fact that you claimed “ children from third world countries grew taller when immigrating” is correct, you are making a monumental leap in the cause for that. It could be different factors, such as they had greater access to a variety of different foods, including quantity of food items, and healthcare that they didn’t have before.

amother
Candycane

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 3:40 pm
amother [ Steelblue ] wrote:
I hear you
But it’s not bad for you if your body can tolerate it
AND
You don’t over indulge
Over indulge even healthy foods is not healthy
Conventional dairy is pretty unhealthy for a lot of reasons in my personal opinion. Nothing to do with fat content or sodium or indulging.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 4:52 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
That is an quite an imaginative connection you made there.

If the fact that you claimed “ children from third world countries grew taller when immigrating” is correct, you are making a monumental leap in the cause for that. It could be different factors, such as they had greater access to a variety of different foods, including quantity of food items, and healthcare that they didn’t have before.

they eat plant based diets in these countries.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 5:22 am

would this not be healthy cheese and butter? its not raw but the cows are hormone and antibiotic free?
does it not make it healthy? is it still considered commercial?

https://chevington.com/about/

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 7:09 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
would this not be healthy cheese and butter? its not raw but the cows are hormone and antibiotic free?
does it not make it healthy? is it still considered commercial?

https://chevington.com/about/
Are these cows A1 or A2? A1 proteins are pro-inflammatory. A2 proteins are closer to sheep and goat and human. Also, pasteurization kills the enzymes we need to digest the milk…

The way I see things, foods are on a spectrum of nutrition and health. So this may be a better option than standard commercial, but I don’t know if I’d consider it a super nutrient dense food that I’d consider consuming often if I was trying to address chronic health issues via diet. It also all depends on how you tolerate it. If you have a leaky gut the I’ll effects from the inflammation will cancel any benefit you might be getting from nutrients. There are other ways to get nutrients that doesn’t involve dairy.

Also, you need to be aware of green-washing in labeling. What exactly does grass fed most of the year mean? What are cows allowed to be given and still called hormone and antibiotics free (hint:quite a bit). And who is backing these claims?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 7:34 am
Are these cows A1 or A2? A1 proteins are pro-inflammatory. A2 proteins are closer to sheep and goat and human. Also, pasteurization kills the enzymes we need to digest the milk…

The way I see things, foods are on a spectrum of nutrition and health. So this may be a better option than standard commercial, but I don’t know if I’d consider it a super nutrient dense food that I’d consider consuming often if I was trying to address chronic health issues via diet. It also all depends on how you tolerate it. If you have a leaky gut the I’ll effects from the inflammation will cancel any benefit you might be getting from nutrients. There are other ways to get nutrients that doesn’t involve dairy.

Also, you need to be aware of green-washing in labeling. What exactly does grass fed most of the year mean? What are cows allowed to be given and still called hormone and antibiotics free (hint:quite a bit). And who is backing these claims?

tell me what and I will ask the company?
they can give me more info if I ask.

organic circle sells their cheese. if it wouldn't be a quality product would they bother bringing it in?

amother
Candycane

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 11:02 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
tell me what and I will ask the company?
they can give me more info if I ask.

organic circle sells their cheese. if it wouldn't be a quality product would they bother bringing it in?

There’s all kinds of levels of quality is what I’m saying. You need to be an informed consumer. They may also sell organic lollipops, that doesn’t make it a nutrient dense superfood. Just a “better” option.

In an ideal world I would want my dairy to be from
A2 cows, or sheep or goats
Raw
100% unmedicated animals
100% grass fed and pastured
Small batch
Fermented using actual live strains of bacteria
Not irradiated

Not saying if it doesn’t check all these boxes you can’t eat it. Just saying what I would consider a quality nutrient dense food.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise