Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Shabbos wool tzitzis

leah.bp

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 4:54 pm
I have a rebbish neighbor and their boys wear shabbos wool tzitzis on their shirts.
Does anyone here dress their boys like that?
my son asked me this week if he can also wear his tzitzis like that, should I let him?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:11 pm
It's a chassidish thing. Many men and bachurim wear wool tzitzis over their shirt during the week as well. I haven't really seen boys under bar mitzvah wear wool tzitzis over their shirt.
I don't see any harm in letting your son wear wool tzitzis if he wants to.

leah.bp

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:27 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
It's a chassidish thing. Many men and bachurim wear wool tzitzis over their shirt during the week as well. I haven't really seen boys under bar mitzvah wear wool tzitzis over their shirt.
I don't see any harm in letting your son wear wool tzitzis if he wants to.

I'm talking about under bar mitzvah

Chickensoupprof

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:30 pm
Well, what I should do is just explaining that it's not your family's minhag, but that it's a nice thing to compliment these kids on the effort they make.
The thing is, sooner or later your kids notice that a Sephardi neighbor on Pesach is eating rice and he wants it to. Tell kids about your own minhagim.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:33 pm
leah.bp wrote:
I'm talking about under bar mitzvah

I did see Israeli Dati boys wearing tzitzis over their shirts. I don't think I've seen chassidish boys under bar Mitzvah wearing their tzitzis like that, but you said they're rebbish, so it make sense.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:49 pm
You have to choose your battles. This one is not worth fighting. Chances are your ds will wear his tzitzis over his shirt for a few days or weeks and then fall out of love with the idea.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 5:56 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Well, what I should do is just explaining that it's not your family's minhag, but that it's a nice thing to compliment these kids on the effort they make.
The thing is, sooner or later your kids notice that a Sephardi neighbor on Pesach is eating rice and he wants it to. Tell kids about your own minhagim.

Certain things are not worth fighting with kids over. My kids have gone through stages of wearing what's not necessary our family minhag, it's ok, nothing happens. It's a stage that passes.

frizet

Post Thu, Apr 28 2022, 12:56 pm
leah.bp wrote:
I have a rebbish neighbor and their boys wear shabbos wool tzitzis on their shirts.
Does anyone here dress their boys like that?
my son asked me this week if he can also wear his tzitzis like that, should I let him?

I’ve seen it, although it’s not so common. It really depends probably how old your son is and if he’s really serious about. My son does wear them on his shirt (under bar mitzva) But I would say you should let him. It’s a nice thing! Just keep in mind they are hard to wash.

leah.bp

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 3:13 pm
frizet wrote:
I’ve seen it, although it’s not so common. It really depends probably how old your son is and if he’s really serious about. My son does wear them on his shirt (under bar mitzva) But I would say you should let him. It’s a nice thing! Just keep in mind they are hard to wash.

how old is your son? Did he ask for it or is it your family's minhag

yidishmamma

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 6:51 pm
I wouldn't do it . Like you said the rebbish or real chasidish people do it under bar mitzvah. If your regular boro park chasidish your son will look different

leah.bp

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 7:37 pm
yidishmamma wrote:
I wouldn't do it . Like you said the rebbish or real chasidish people do it under bar mitzvah. If your regular boro park chasidish your son will look different

as DS asked for it, I started realizing more kids like that. DH told DS he is bit too young, but when he gets older it can be discussed.

So the question is that he will be different, should I allow it for myself? (obviously DS doesn't care *he* will be different)

Fave

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 8:18 pm
Only reason I would discourage taking on this lavish is because wool tzitzis is hard to clean…..

AllAlone

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 8:58 pm

Last edited by AllAlone on Tue, May 10 2022, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

frizet

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 9:14 pm
leah.bp wrote:
how old is your son? Did he ask for it or is it your family's minhag

My son is 8. He asked for it. When he asked for it, I didn’t think I would let and pushed him off. But I looked around and saw it was more common than I thought. There are boys that go like that. It depends on your area I guess.

frizet

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 9:15 pm
Fave wrote:
Only reason I would discourage taking on this lavish is because wool tzitzis is hard to clean…..

Yes they are. There are threads here with tips how to wash them!

leah.bp

Post Sun, May 01 2022, 10:30 pm
Fave wrote:

cleaning is the least issue when changing lavish

AllAlone

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:00 am
frizet wrote:
My son is 8. He asked for it. When he asked for it, I didn’t think I would let and pushed him off. But I looked around and saw it was more common than I thought. There are boys that go like that. It depends on your area I guess.

I live in Williamsburg, there are plenty of kids here who wear tzitzit like that. I wouldn’t have a problem to let my son if he asked, I actually think it’s kinda cute, although I totally get it why someone would be uncomfortable, it’s sort of reserved to certain types of families.

frizet

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:48 am
AllAlone wrote:
I live in Williamsburg, there are plenty of kids here who wear tzitzit like that. I wouldn’t have a problem to let my son if he asked, I actually think it’s kinda cute, although I totally get it why someone would be uncomfortable, it’s sort of reserved to certain types of families.

Ya you can definitely see it alot in Williamsburg
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions