Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chabad Mesivtas anywhere in the world
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:27 pm
My son was not accepted to the Mesivtas he originally applied to. I'm assuming that means that Hashem has a better match in mind for him, but I'm not sure where!

I am asking people IRL but thought this might be another place to look for info.

My son is very bright (although he is not a good test-taker).
He is somewhat socially awkward.
He is very Chassidish and this is extremely important to him.
He is in general a rule follower.
He is open to working on himself and has done so in many ways. (For example he hates swimming because he is sensory, but this year began going to mikvah almost every morning. He also used to completely shut down when he was upset, and learned to respond that he needs some time to process and can explain soon.)
He is a kindhearted boy and very sensitive to injustice.
He does not have a chutzpah problem.
He does not have a particular need for sports or extracurricular activities.

I would prefer a school that is not terribly rigid and cares for the students' wellbeing and not just their academic success.

I am open to anywhere in the world (we live OOT and both schools we applied to are quite a distance from where we live). He's also already logged a lot of flight hours Smile Obviously a dorm is required, but I think every Mesivta has a dorm already.

Thank you for any suggestions!

mha3484

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:35 pm
Did did you apply to the mesivta in Chicago? I am not chabad but I have heard really nice things from neighbors that are.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:36 pm
How old is your son? Are you sure sending him away is a good idea in the first place?
You say he is somewhat socially awkward, sensitive and kindhearted. Sending children away is not always a good idea especially when they are vulnerable.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:46 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
How old is your son? Are you sure sending him away is a good idea in the first place?
You say he is somewhat socially awkward, sensitive and kindhearted. Sending children away is not always a good idea especially when they are vulnerable.

He is going into Shiur Alef.

There is no local Mesivta so there isn't really much choice!

He actually was already away this year at a Mechinah-type program and it was the best thing ever for him. At home he was really not doing well. He has really blossomed this year and grown in many ways.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:48 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Did did you apply to the mesivta in Chicago? I am not chabad but I have heard really nice things from neighbors that are.

It is an amazing school! A few of my relatives send there. However they are always over-full and are reluctant to take kids with social issues (I don't blame them, but that's the reality.)

amother
Peru

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:51 pm
did you try postville? my nephew is similar to your son and is happy in postville.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:51 pm
There’s a mesivta in monsey that sounds like it would be a good fit.

I heard of one opening up in Pomona and maybe Pennsylvania if you’re open to a new one.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:52 pm
amother [ Peru ] wrote:
did you try postville? my nephew is similar to your son and is happy in postville.

Thank you! I will look into that. I hadn't heard much about Postville, so I'm glad I asked Smile

amother
Stone

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:55 pm
What about Johannesburg? I'm pretty sure that a Yeshiva opened recently under the guidance of Rabbi Zevi Weinberg. I'm pretty sure it's a Mesivta. Do you have anyone you can contact in Johannesburg?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:56 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
There’s a mesivta in monsey that sounds like it would be a good fit.

I heard of one opening up in Pomona and maybe Pennsylvania if you’re open to a new one.

I know there are two Mesivtas in Monsey. I know someone in one of them, and he is VERY socially savvy, so I was a little hesitant. But definitely will look into if it might work!

I'd consider a new Mesivta, but from what I saw from any advertisements they are all looking for academic excellence. Yes my son is very bright, but a school with an extremely high emphasis on academics is likely to be pretty rigid and not accepting of a boy with his fair share of quirks.

And conversely, the schools that focus more on the emotional and spiritual wellbeing of the boys tend to not be very Chassidish. Which is a problem for a boy that has been struggling this year with being in a very mixed crowd. He really wants to feel comfortable with most of the class, not like the pariah for not listening to certain music or not wanting to discuss politics or cars.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 3:57 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
What about Johannesburg? I'm pretty sure that a Yeshiva opened recently under the guidance of Rabbi Zevi Weinberg. I'm pretty sure it's a Mesivta. Do you have anyone you can contact in Johannesburg?

An acquaintance of mine sent her son to Johannesburg, but I don't know if it was for Mesivta or Zal. He is not very Chassidish though, so I hadn't thought of it as a good match.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 4:17 pm
Chicago Mesivta is a great place. All my brothers went there. They are always full so may not be be the best option and they accept the locals first as long as they are a good fit.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 4:24 pm
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:
Chicago Mesivta is a great place. All my brothers went there. They are always full so may not be be the best option and they accept the locals first as long as they are a good fit.

I know they have rejected boys because of social challenges, so probably not the best option for my son. They are an incredible school, though, I know a few members of hanhala and they are really special people.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 4:27 pm
Right postville sounds like it may be a better fit

amother
Stone

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 4:29 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
An acquaintance of mine sent her son to Johannesburg, but I don't know if it was for Mesivta or Zal. He is not very Chassidish though, so I hadn't thought of it as a good match.

I'm pretty sure the Mesivta is very new. There is a Yeshiva also - Rabbi Wagner and Rabbi Kesselman. What's Zal? I'm actually not Chabad but I have Chabad friends.
Do you know anyone in Joburg that you can ask?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 4:34 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Mesivta is very new. There is a Yeshiva also - Rabbi Wagner and Rabbi Kesselman. What's Zal? I'm actually not Chabad but I have Chabad friends.
Do you know anyone in Joburg that you can ask?

I don't, but DH has a friend in Capetown I think! I'll ask.

From what I understand (I may be Chabad but a lot about the Yeshiva system is mysterious to me) Zal is the post-high school program. (Zal means hall and it's basically chavrusa learning in a big room, not as structured as Mesivta, hence the name.)

amother
Stone

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 5:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

From what I understand (I may be Chabad but a lot about the Yeshiva system is mysterious to me) Zal is the post-high school program. (Zal means hall and it's basically chavrusa learning in a big room, not as structured as Mesivta, hence the name.)

I know Rabbi Weinberg is a big Talmid Chacham and a super fine person. His wife (and him) also run Tzivos H-shem in Joburg.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 5:40 pm
A new mesivta is opening in Baltimore this year and Rabbi Mendy Kamiker is running in, he's fantastic and it's expected to draw a Chassidishe crowd.
Queens is also an option if that works for you Hashkafa wise
Postville also might be a good fit, the crowd isn't as Chassidish as Toronto or Chicago might be but the mashpiim and magidei shiur are solid great people.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 5:41 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes, Mesivta goes for shiur Alef - Gimmel then Zal is Alef - Gimmel and Daled is merkos shlichus then 770 usually

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 6:09 pm
amother [ Stone ] wrote:
I know Rabbi Weinberg is a big Talmid Chacham and a super fine person. His wife (and him) also run Tzivos H-shem in Joburg. I'm going to post a link to the facebook page which has a contact number if you want to contact him.

let me know once you have the link because then I'm going to delete it.

Got it, thank you!
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics