Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
2 names that are similar in one family
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:41 pm
Can people weigh in
I already have a child w a name that is similar to that of a grandparent who passed away and family wants us to name after the grandparent. To make things not obvious what do you think of having 2 kids in one family (in a row) with any of the following similar names...

1 Elazar and Eliezer
2. Aaron and Aryeh
3. Dovid and Dovi
4. Shalom and Shlomo
5. Menucha and Menachem

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:42 pm
I know someone who has an Idy and Ita in a row.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:43 pm
Definitely heard of it. Nothing wrong. Can get confusing if you call one name and the other responds, but I'd imagine that's the only issue!

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:44 pm
Boy/girl I wouldnt care. Same gender depends how similar. Like I wouldn't do Elazar and eliezer. But shalom and shlomo I think are different enough.

amother
Azalea

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:46 pm
Yonty and Yenty
Sarah and Serel
Sura and Surel
Yitta and Yitla
Mashy and Moishy
Mendy and Mindy

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 7:56 pm
My son's name sounds very similar to mine even though they are spelled differently. Whenever I make phone calls, I use the long version of his name so that people don't get confused. I often can't tell which of us my husband is calling. We also call him by a family nickname, which avoids the mix up. It's a little annoying, but if you have a name you love or need to use, I wouldn't let it deter you.

amother
Marigold

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:07 pm
I know families that have these
Roizy and Raizy
Nochum and Nechemia
Eliezer and Elimelech-I know, pretty different names but somehow they are both Eli so it's kinda weird to me

Technically, they are different names. I just find it funny. Like I wonder if the kids themselves think it's anything.

amother
Pear

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:09 pm
I wouldn't do it. I don't want my kids to get lumped together. They have separate identities, I wouldn't want to make mixing them up easier.

kenz

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:18 pm
amother [ Marigold ] wrote:
I know families that have these
Roizy and Raizy
Nochum and Nechemia
Eliezer and Elimelech-I know, pretty different names but somehow they are both Eli so it's kinda weird to me

Technically, they are different names. I just find it funny. Like I wonder if the kids themselves think it's anything.

One family has 2 kids who are both called Eli? How on earth do they know who should respond when someone calls “Eli?” That sounds very problematic for so many reasons!

Juicy

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:21 pm
My friend is Fraidy and her daughter I Freidy.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:23 pm
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
I wouldn't do it. I don't want my kids to get lumped together. They have separate identities, I wouldn't want to make mixing them up easier.

I don't think they'd get lumped together or get mixed up, and I wouldn't be worried about separate identities! Unless they have the same nickname. Like Eli for Eliezer/Elimelech/Eliyahu/Elisheva. That I definitely wouldn't do. (I actually have one of those Eli names and we hope to name another one of them for a future child, but we call the existing child by the full name so I don't see it being an issue.)

Just practically hearing the name someone might get mixed up. Which honestly happens sometimes to a son and daughter of mine who have completely different sounding names, but the end of one sounds like the beginning of another. Think something like Boruch and Rochel. When calling Boruch across the house, Rochel might only hear the second syllable and it can sound like when I call her Roch for short (I do that with my kids' names often). So a moment of confusion, but no one would say not to name Rochel if you already have a Boruch.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:25 pm
I wouldn't do number 1.
The rest are fine.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:28 pm
Avi/ ari
Frady / fraidy
Tsiry / suri
Chaya / chaim
Chani / chasi
Nechi / mechi
Eli/ eli
Shifra / Shira
Etti / esti
Riva / rivka

ces

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:31 pm
My family has a longstanding joke about having triplets, two boys and a girl, and naming them Eliyahu, Eliezer, and Elisheva, then calling them all Eli. Alternatively, twin girls named Batsheva and Elisheva and calling them both Sheva or Shevi.

In real life - I would do it, and call them by nicknames that make them sound more different

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:34 pm
I have the same situation except that I'm not currently expecting. I think some of the examples are worse than others (I have one of the examples listed but don't plan of giving a future child the similar sounding name). Some names are much worse irl because they're so similar but don't look as redundant when written. You have to do what works for you. I personally don't plan to give the other name in the future even though I would love to name after that relative.

Shoshana Rose

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:34 pm
chaya\ chayla

amother
Pear

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:35 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I don't think they'd get lumped together or get mixed up, and I wouldn't be worried about separate identities! Unless they have the same nickname. Like Eli for Eliezer/Elimelech/Eliyahu/Elisheva. That I definitely wouldn't do. (I actually have one of those Eli names and we hope to name another one of them for a future child, but we call the existing child by the full name so I don't see it being an issue.)

Just practically hearing the name someone might get mixed up. Which honestly happens sometimes to a son and daughter of mine who have completely different sounding names, but the end of one sounds like the beginning of another. Think something like Boruch and Rochel. When calling Boruch across the house, Rochel might only hear the second syllable and it can sound like when I call her Roch for short (I do that with my kids' names often). So a moment of confusion, but no one would say not to name Rochel if you already have a Boruch.

Everyone can do whatever they want, I personally wouldn't do it. To each their own!

amother
Maize

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 8:43 pm
I know a hudi (yehuda) and a hudi (hudis)

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:12 pm
Thanks everyone for your replies!! They are very helpful! If anyone else wants to weigh in on the specific list I gave and say for example, I would do numbers 3 and 4 but not others or something specific like that would appreciate it too.

Like the amother who said I wouldn't do number 1 and rest are fine... If anyone else has a feeling like that can you post?

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, May 02 2022, 9:51 pm
I would NOT do 1 or 3...way too similar.

I have 2 boys, Mordechai and Menachem, just two "M" names, and I confuse their names ALL the time. I think I'd go crazy with names that are super similar.

For 5, I would do it, but only if I'm naming after people in the family and those happened to be their names. I wouldn't do it on purpose.

I think 2 and 4 are perfectly fine.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names