Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Angel's Challah

myname1

Post Tue, May 03 2022, 4:13 pm
My kids love the challah we get in the makolet that comes from Angel's. I've made many variations of my own, but it never quite hits the spot like that one. I've tried sweet, not sweet, eggs, no eggs, whole wheat, white. I'd love a recipe for a very fluffy and non-sweet white challah like that! Anyone know what I mean and have one? I feel like homemade challah people always think of as very sweet and/or eggy, so this is like the opposite extreme.

myname1

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 3:58 am
Hmm... anyone have a clue???

myname1

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 8:52 am
So is it that everyone likes sweeter challah, nobody ever buys so they don't know what I'm talking about (or never bought in Israel I guess), or everyone else is as stumped as me?

FWIW, I'm looking for a very fluffy, very unsweet challah with a bit of a tough crust. Any ideas?

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:24 am
I would start with a water challah recipe and leave out almost all of the sugar. The yeast only needs a spoonful or so to get it going. The recipe probably includes white flour, water, yeast, salt and a little sugar, and not much else. To get it fluffy maybe try kneading it a bit more than normal. Keep the amount of flour you add to a minimum.

When you put it in the oven, throwing a handful of ice cubes into the oven creates steam and is meant to produce a more solid crust.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 9:35 am
Something you can try is to add an an extra step called a sponge.

Start the challah as usual: water, suar, yeast, salt. Then after about 15 minutes you add a few cups of flour instead of all the flour at once and let it sit for 40 minutes - 2 hours. Then proceed as usual.

myname1

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:19 am
Thank you both! I was thinking to try just leaving out the sugar, but wasn't sure if that would do the trick. What about oil? My usual recipe is this:
1 kilo flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tbs yeast
1 Tbs salt
1/2 cup oil
2 1/4 cups water
So would you leave out most/all oil, too? And then just add flour until kneadable?

balance

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 10:31 am
I know which challos you mean. I'm pretty sure they add some kind of preservatives and a different type of riser so not sure if you can reproduce at home.

samantha87

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 2:18 pm
Try this - the taste is close but the crust is thin and not crunchy:

http://fortheloveofbread.blogs......html

1 3/4 tsp instant yeast
about 5 2/3 cups bread flour
1 3/4 cups water
2 1/2 tsp table salt
1 tbsp + 1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil

myname1

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 3:29 am
samantha87 wrote:
Try this - the taste is close but the crust is thin and not crunchy:

http://fortheloveofbread.blogs......html

1 3/4 tsp instant yeast
about 5 2/3 cups bread flour
1 3/4 cups water
2 1/2 tsp table salt
1 tbsp + 1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil

I'll give it a try, thank you! I know it won't be exactly like the bakery, but I figured I'd try to at least get close.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads