Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Moshiach/Third Beis Hamikdash in Tanach and other sources

Goldie613

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 2:16 pm
Hey everyone -

Can anyone tell me where in Tanach (or elsewhere) there's information about Moshiach's coming and the Beis Hamikdash being rebuilt?

I remember hearing years ago that there are multiple places in Navi that discuss it, but I don't recall the details.

Thanks!

STovah

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 6:35 pm
There is a description of the third beis hamikdash (location, size, rooms) in the later perakim in sefer Yechezkel.

Not_in_my_town

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 6:52 pm
Do you have any specific info you need? There's a ton of info. I can probably help you with some.
As the above poster mentioned, Sefer Yechezkel in chapters 43-48 describe the dimensions of the Third Beis Hamikdash and the reinstatement of the korbanos.

Here are pasukim related to the halachic requirements of Moshiach. (This is taken from an upcoming book I am working on.)

THE REQUIREMENTS OF MOSHIACH

From A Royal Bloodline
Though there are many wonderful leaders in the Jewish nation, if they’re not from the Davidic line (which began with David, son of Jesse), they cannot qualify as Moshiach. Moshiach must be from the line of King David:

A staff will grow from Jesse and a shoot will sprout from his roots. The spirit of Hashem will rest upon him -- a spirit of wisdom and understanding, a spirit of counsel and strength, a spirit of knowledge and fear of Hashem.
-Isaiah 11:1-3

Behold, days are coming -- the word of Hashem -- when I will establish a righteous sprout from David; a king will reign and prosper and he will administer righteous justice in the land.
-Jeremiah 23:5

Moreover, the Messiah will specifically come through the line of King David’s son, Solomon:

Behold, a son will be born to you; he will be a man of rest, and I shall grant him rest from his enemies all around. His name will be Solomon, and I will bestow peace and tranquility upon Israel in his days. He will build a Temple for My name’s sake; he will be a son to me and I will be a Father to him. And I will establish the throne of his kingdom over Israel forever.
-I Chronicles 22:9-10

And king Solomon [shall be] blessed, and the throne of David shall be established before Hashem forever.
-I Kings 2:45

A Righteous and Powerful Leader
Moshiach will be completely Torah-observant, exceedingly wise, and righteous. He will also be a powerful leader:

A staff will grow from Jesse and a shoot will sprout from his roots. The spirit of Hashem will rest upon him -- a spirit of wisdom and understanding, a spirit of counsel and strength, a spirit of knowledge and fear of Hashem.
-Isaiah 11:1-3

Behold, days are coming -- the word of Hashem -- when I will establish a righteous sprout from David; a king will reign and prosper and he will administer righteous justice in the land.
-Isaiah 23:5

And he shall stand and lead with the might of Hashem, with the pride of Hashem, his God: and they shall return, for now he shall become great to the ends of the earth.
-Micah 5:3 (Micah 5:4 in a Christian bible)

All the world will take notice of Moshiach, and the Jewish people will be inspired by him, repairing any breaches in observance to correctly follow in the ways of the Torah. They will look to the Messianic king as their guide:

For the children of Israel shall remain for many days, having neither king, nor prince, nor sacrifice, nor pillar, nor ephod nor teraphim. Afterwards shall the children of Israel return, and seek Hashem their God and David their king, and they shall come trembling to Hashem and to His goodness at the end of days.
-Hosea 3:4-5

My servant David will be king over them, and there will be one shepherd for all of them; they will follow all of my ordinances, and keep my decrees and fulfill them.
Ezekiel 37:24

THE MESSIANIC AGE
Aside from the personal requirements that Moshiach must fulfill, there will be very specific, very notable changes in the world that will take place in his days:

Peace will Prevail
When Moshiach will become known, he will address the world’s failings and become the uncontested ruler, guiding all nations with the spirit of wisdom bestowed upon him by God. Peace will prevail:

And he shall judge between the nations and reprove many peoples, and they shall beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift the sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore.
-Isaiah 2:4

They shall neither harm nor destroy on all My holy mount, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of God, as the waters cover the sea.
-Isaiah 11:9

And I will cut off the chariots from Ephraim, and the horses from Jerusalem; and the bow of war shall be cut off. And he shall speak peace to the nations, and his rule shall be from the sea to the west and from the river to the ends of the earth.
-Zechariah 9:10

An Ingathering:
In the days of Moshiach the Jewish people will return to Israel en masse to dwell there forever:

He will raise a banner for the nations and assemble the castaways of Israel; and He will gather in the dispersed ones of Judah from the four corners of the earth.
-Isaiah 11:12

They will dwell on the land that I gave to My servant Jacob, within which your fathers dwelled; they and their children and their children’s children will dwell upon it forever; and My servant David will be a leader for them forever.
-Ezekiel 37:25

The Temple Will be Rebuilt:
In the days of Moshiach the third and final Temple will be rebuilt according to the plans laid out in Ezekiel chapters 40-48, the priests will be reinstated to their service, a new Sanhredrin (religious court) will be formed, and Moshiach will bring sacrifices on behalf of himself and the Jewish people:

And it shall be at the end of the days, that the mountain of Hashem's house shall be firmly established at the top of the mountains, and it shall be raised above the hills, and peoples shall stream upon it.
Micah 4:1

And the prince shall make on that day for himself and for all the people of Israel a bull for a sin-offering.
Ezekiel 45:22

I will restore your judges as at first, and your counselors as in the beginning; afterward, you will be called City of Righteousness, Faithful City.
-Isaiah 1:26

Universal Awareness of God
The earth will be flooded with an intense awareness of God in the Messianic age, so much so that people from all of the nations will seek to worship Hashem, looking to the Jews for guidance:

Many people and mighty nations will come and seek the God of Hosts in Jerusalem. In those days, ten people out of all the nations will take hold of the corner of the garment of every Jew and say, “We will go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.”
-Zechariah 8:22-23

“I will transform the peoples to a pure language that they all will call upon the name of Hashem and serve Him with one purpose.”
Zephaniah 3:9

And it shall be at the end of the days, that the mountain of Hashem's house shall be firmly established at the top of the mountains, and it shall be raised above the hills, and all the nations shall stream to it. And many peoples shall go, and they shall say, "Come, let us go up to Hashem's mount, to the house of the God of Jacob, and let Him teach us of His ways, and we will go in His paths," for out of Zion shall the Torah come forth, and the word of Hashem from Jerusalem.
-Isaiah 2:2-3

Not_in_my_town

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 6:58 pm
You can also refer to the section of the Rambam's Mishneh Torah "Melachim u'milchamos" (Kings and their wars) chapters 11 and 12 where the halachos of Moshiach are laid out.

https://www.chabad.org/library.....1.htm

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 6:59 pm
Rambam hilchos melachim - the halacha of what must happen.

The Lubavitcher Rebbe speaks about it and brings sources for everything in virtually every sicha from the years of 1991-92.

windchime

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 8:54 pm
Some sources:
In Parshas Balak Bilam's prophecy about the end of days, for example, saying: "אראנו ולא עתה, אשורנו ולא קרוב"

Also, in reference to establishing the cities of refugee, we learn about Moshiach. For the Torah says to designate 9 cities, yet only 6 were established thusfar.

Goldie613

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 11:00 pm
Wow - I didn't realize so much was out there!

Anyone have any other sources they can recommend?

Goldie613

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 11:04 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:

(This is taken from an upcoming book I am working on.)

Thank you for these - and hatzlacha on your book!

Last edited by Goldie613 on Wed, May 04 2022, 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Goldie613

Post Wed, May 04 2022, 11:11 pm
windchime wrote:
Some sources:
In Parshas Balak Bilam's prophecy about the end of days, for example, saying: "אראנו ולא עתה, אשורנו ולא קרוב"

Also, in reference to establishing the cities of refugee, we learn about Moshiach. For the Torah says to designate 9 cities, yet only 6 were established thusfar.

That's interesting - somehow I always thought that Moshiach only got mentioned after we lost the Beis Hamikdash - I hadn't realized there was information from before the first one was even built.

Do you happen to remember where we learn about the 9 cities vs the 6 existing ones (as in the 3 others are for yomos haMoshiach)? Rashi, Ramban, someone/somewhere else...???

Goldie613

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 2:07 am
Thisisnotmyreal wrote:

The Lubavitcher Rebbe speaks about it and brings sources for everything in virtually every sicha from the years of 1991-92.

Do you know if the sichos are findable online?

I remember hearing years ago that at least some of the Rebbe's sichos were translated to English and made into a book. Would you happen to know if those years were, or how I could find out?

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 2:10 am
Goldie613 wrote:
Do you know if the sichos are findable online?

I remember hearing years ago that at least some of the Rebbe's sichos were translated to English and made into a book. Would you happen to know if those years were, or how I could find out?

Here you go https://www.sie.org/

Edit: https://www.sie.org/templates/.....h.htm

Goldie613

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 2:15 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:
Here you go https://www.sie.org/

Edit: https://www.sie.org/templates/.....h.htm

Oh wow, thank you!!!

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 4:50 am
https://livingmoshiach.com/library

You can also buy from them on this site their books.

Tutaltz.com has PDF available of 6 specific sichos. They are translated well.

Siriusly?

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 5:04 am
Besides for the Tanach sources above, there are many veiled references to the dates of the arrival of Moshiach in sefer Daniel. Meforshim have explored and debated these at length for centuries, and they are divided as to if we're even allowed to attempt to figure it out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics