Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Helpful program for limiting computer use

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 09 2022, 2:39 pm
Hi,
I struggle a lot with spending too much time on the computer. I am trying out something called FocusMe and so far, it is helping. So I wanted to recommend and tell more about it in case it can help someone else with the same or similar struggles.

I have ADHD and my coach recommended this program. I first did a 30 day free trial, and then decided to sign up for it for the year (think I paid around 30$ for the year which is so worthwhile to me). This is besides for the gentech filter which I have. Since I have ADHD I can go down a rabbit hole a lot more often than I want to---> look at news article --> see name of random person --> google random person to learn more --> read multiple articles on that person and before I know it I have wasted 1/2 hour reading about lady camilla or something similar, which is fine sometimes but not on a nightly basis, as a busy working mom. So I really try to have external, practical supports, which I think I have found in a program like this one...

Here are ways I am using it on my home computer (work computer is another story-for now haven't done anything):
These are password protected and my husband has the password (but you don't have to make it that way. I just do that cuz that what works for me. and this way I can bypass if needed but its not easy, like I have to ask him, and he knows this is something I'm working on)

1) I set up time limits on sites that I waste time on (news sites etc) so I have 10 minutes a day per site, but it's highly customizable- you can choose certain days, longer/shorter times etc
2) Another thing I am using is that the computer makes you take a break after being on it for certain amount of time. Now I have it set that every 45 mins it makes me take a 15 min break (this is actually helpful because I find that if I stand up and walk away I can usually move on to something else, but it is hard for me to stand up and walk away. This forces that on me.
3) if you want to have set times for work, you can schedule those and make your computer either inaccessible at those times or have only specific sites open

These are only some of the examples. There are lots more to explore, but for those it's worth it for me.

One thing is that I found the setup a little challenging, but they do give you a free half hour zoom where someone explained to me how to set things up and I had him literally set up the things I wanted for me.

I have no link to this company or product at all but it's been really helping me since I started using it, so I wanted to post here in case others could benefit.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 12 2022, 10:58 pm
Bump.. in case this helps someone and they didn't see it

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 8:45 am
Thank you!!!!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Feb 14 2022, 9:14 pm
I'm bumping this one more time, just because of how helpful it has been to me. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me... not that I'm an expert but I can tell you about my experience..

amother
Cappuccino

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 12:56 am
Thank you so much for this info!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics