Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Internet solution brainstorming

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 9:19 pm
Hi to all wonderful women, thanks for taking the time to read... I need a solution that works for me. Life is a journey, we are all on a different one. I need help with my next step. But in no way am I judging others for making different decision. I am just writing about where I am at right now. I would greatly appreciate to only get responds answering my question. If you really must say something negative... I'll handle it with grace Cool

Here goes: I had open internet for long time. I spend way too much time watching. Over the years I've tried different thing. Bh I'm now on uphill journey. First I bh stopped watching dirty things, a year later put on a filter, few months later blocked youtube... So now I have internet for my work ( I teach so I get a lot of resources online) and for shopping ( hate stores!! love bargins and my couch!) It's been going fine. I feel like I want to take the next step. I would really like to not have computer around my house. The thing is that with my adhd, if I'm being realistic, I can't say that I'll just use computer certain hours of the day. Whenever I want to relax I sit down to candy crush, yeshiva world, matzev.com.... I really don't like that I am still spending too much time on it. I'm ready to take the leap, but I can't see myself managing without shopping and worksheets. I have zero discipline to have access and control myself when to use it and when not.

Any suggestions as to what type of setup I can have?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 9:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi to all wonderful women, thanks for taking the time to read... I need a solution that works for me. Life is a journey, we are all on a different one. I need help with my next step. But in no way am I judging others for making different decision. I am just writing about where I am at right now. I would greatly appreciate to only get responds answering my question. If you really must say something negative... I'll handle it with grace Cool

Here goes: I had open internet for long time. I spend way too much time watching. Over the years I've tried different thing. Bh I'm now on uphill journey. First I bh stopped watching dirty things, a year later put on a filter, few months later blocked youtube... So now I have internet for my work ( I teach so I get a lot of resources online) and for shopping ( hate stores!! love bargins and my couch!) It's been going fine. I feel like I want to take the next step. I would really like to not have computer around my house. The thing is that with my adhd, if I'm being realistic, I can't say that I'll just use computer certain hours of the day. Whenever I want to relax I sit down to candy crush, yeshiva world, matzev.com.... I really don't like that I am still spending too much time on it. I'm ready to take the leap, but I can't see myself managing without shopping and worksheets. I have zero discipline to have access and control myself when to use it and when not.

Any suggestions as to what type of setup I can have?

have the same issue. I was trying to find a locked "band" to go around the laptop which would make it impossible to open. Haven't found something like that yet. Maybe there is a locking box with a timer?

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 9:24 pm
I heard that you can set up locks on the computer so that you can't use it during certain hours. If you block off specific times, that can help you manage better.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 9:27 pm
Not_in_my_town wrote:
I heard that you can set up locks on the computer so that you can't use it during certain hours. If you block off specific times, that can help you manage better.

can u explain how to do it?

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 9:31 pm
You could probably also have a “white list” for you browser. Meaning only certain preselected sites will work. This only works if you tend to get all your teaching resources from a few websites. Then you can approve just those and the shopping sites you like.

Not_in_my_town

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 9:33 pm
I wish I could give you more info, but I don't have any.
Try Googling.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 9:38 pm
I agree with others your solutions are to put timed sessions on so it only unlocks for you x amount of hours a day or a white list where you block everything except shopping and teaching materials.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 9:40 pm
amother [ Lightcoral ] wrote:
I agree with others your solutions are to put timed sessions on so it only unlocks for you x amount of hours a day or a white list where you block everything except shopping and teaching materials.

I would appreciate if someone can tell me how to make timed sessions. tia

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 10:02 pm
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
I would appreciate if someone can tell me how to make timed sessions. tia

I used to use a filter system that was free called QUSTODIO. Basically, you go to their website, make an account, download the program to your computer and then you customize what filtering you want. You can do black lists, white lists, and I'm pretty sure you can also set time limits.
You can set up the account but you'll want a friend/spouse/coworker to have the password... otherwise you could just remove the filter whenever you want.

This worked great for me, but I since switched to Techloq through TAG.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 10:03 pm
thank you all. Embarrassingly enough I can keep myself bz on candy crush and solitaire too. So it's not only internet it's really getting the computer out of the way.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 10:10 pm
OP, I don't have any solutions. I'm at a completely different part of my own computer journey, trying to figure myself out, so I'll be watching here for responses.
I just wanted to say how inspired I am by what you shared of your own journey, what you've changed until now, what you want to continue with... Thank you so much for sharing. May your quest for growth bring so much bracha into your life.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 10:13 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
thank you all. Embarrassingly enough I can keep myself bz on candy crush and solitaire too. So it's not only internet it's really getting the computer out of the way.

I think many are in the same boat. My husband and I were talking recently, that even if you have a totally filtered smartphone, you'll still be on it more than a flip phone. It's just addictive that way.

Maybe those games could be deleted?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 10:43 pm
amother [ Razzmatazz ] wrote:
OP, I don't have any solutions. I'm at a completely different part of my own computer journey, trying to figure myself out, so I'll be watching here for responses.
I just wanted to say how inspired I am by what you shared of your own journey, what you've changed until now, what you want to continue with... Thank you so much for sharing. May your quest for growth bring so much bracha into your life.

Thank you, I appreciate it. It's actually hilarious to me that this is my post because I would never believe that I would do all this. In fact, there was a thread a couple of months ago about a no watching challenge. Women gave up watching for certain amount of time. I was so into watching a addicted that it was so triggering to see the thread. Even the thread title made me cringe.
Amein to your bracha! And may your journey take you to many great places. Heart

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 10:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's actually hilarious to me that this is my post because I would never believe that I would do all this.

Hilarious? It's greatness! Give yourself a huge pat on the back!

amother [ OP ] wrote:
And may your journey take you to many great places. Heart

Amen!!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 05 2022, 10:46 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I used to use a filter system that was free called QUSTODIO. Basically, you go to their website, make an account, download the program to your computer and then you customize what filtering you want. You can do black lists, white lists, and I'm pretty sure you can also set time limits.
You can set up the account but you'll want a friend/spouse/coworker to have the password... otherwise you could just remove the filter whenever you want.

Thank you, will look into it

amother
Tanzanite

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 12:23 am
I use focus me. I posted about it a little while ago. I have to pay for it but it's worth it. You can customize the time you are allowed to spend on sites and block it with a password. If someone can find the thread, they can link it here.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 12:24 am
Actually I found it myself...

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....60200

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 12:56 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:

Do you know if Techloq has time limit options?

amother
Babyblue

Post Fri, May 06 2022, 7:05 pm
I use NativUsa and only have sites that I allow.

if I want/need a youtube or a certain website, I have to request it one by one and so that makes me stop and think.

In terms of time locks, there is a way to do it from inside windows (like with the black programming page). Once you set it up it is a pain to go change it so that might work for you! You will have to look it up though- how to set time limits on Windows (if that's what you use). It works by user. Meaning Windows User, not Nativ user.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational