Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
Would you pay for a "magazine" with only serials?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 11:03 pm
I'm an aspiring author, currently in the third draft of my debut and first draft of my second novel. My novels feature diverse orthodox characters and include some not so nice aspects of Jewish communities. My characters struggle but wouldn't abandon Judaism (because I think that's been done to death). To get to the point: I might not get published by a frum publisher because I deal with problems, and I might not get published by secular publishers because I don't advertise going off the derech. Self publishing is a real possibility but I've been thinking recently that a serial would be fun too. I would make it affordable, up to a dollar per installment or month and then readers could get it once a week. I've been working really hard so that's why I don't want to give it away for free. Would people be interested in something like this or is it better to just publish the book? Both? I think it could work as an online bookclub. What do you think?

amother
Clematis

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 11:05 pm
I would buy a book over serials. I find that format annoying as a reader.

amother
Zinnia

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 11:06 pm
I wouldn't want a subscription for that, would rather buy a book.
I would maybe read some short stuff written by that author before ordering a novel though

amother
Orange

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 11:34 pm
I would prefer a book. The price for a serial would have to be way under $1 per installment or we’d be paying many times the cost of a book to read in a more annoying format.
If you had several serials I would just find it confusing to follow on top of the ones I already follow. Even now I try to get ahold of the book when it comes out because you miss things when you read as a serial.

amother
Amaranthus

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 12:12 am
I wouldn't.
I used to read the serials but stopped because there were too many to keep track of and I just prefer to wait till it comes out in book form.

zaq

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 12:35 am
No way.
Serials are a way for publishers to hook you in and get you to continue buying their rags, er, mags, long after you've decided to quit.
If I see that a story is not presented in its entirety in a single issue, I don't bother starting it.

Jewishmom8

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 2:13 am
no I would not.

amother
Banana

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 2:57 am
Nope.
Have you built a name for yourself yet? Maybe after you've successfully marketed your first two novels and they are big hits people will be willing to pay for your content.

Elfrida

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 4:27 am
Do you mean a printed magazine? I doubt that you would make enough to cover printing and distribution costs. If you mean sending it out by email that would lower your costs, but you are limiting the audience to those who use email (I know, most people have some kind of acssess, but not everyone wants to be reading it at work.) And then people would have to remember to print it out before Shabbos if that's when they want to read it.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 8:59 am
OP,
Did you try pitching it to a frum publishing company? You may be surprised, they are a lot more openminded than they used to be.

To answer your question, I detest serials with a passion. Its impossible for me to get really invested into the story by reading tiny snippets at a time with overblown cliffhanger endings of which I remember only vaguely by the time the next installment rolls around.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 9:58 am
Yedidya was available as an ebook, week by week, for $7.
What you're actually asking is, would we buy a subscription to a magazine with one serial, yours. I don't know who you are, and wish you hatzlacha, but I wouldn't spend more than I would in book form, max.
While I enjoy the serials in the magazines I subscribe to, I do NOT subscribe for the serials.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Blueberry

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 10:14 am
I think people use Patreon for this.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 10:46 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Yedidya was available as an ebook, week by week, for $7.
What you're actually asking is, would we buy a subscription to a magazine with one serial, yours. I don't know who you are, and wish you hatzlacha, but I wouldn't spend more than I would in book form, max.
While I enjoy the serials in the magazines I subscribe to, I do NOT subscribe for the serials.
Hatzlacha!

Thank you that's a very informative answer. I was considering maybe having other authors run serials in there as well so it'd be a a group of serials but anyway I was just thinking out loud. Thank you

smartmom

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 9:54 pm
Maybe amzon/ amzon kindle self publish in book form is your best bet

CatLady

Post Wed, May 11 2022, 8:04 am
Kindle Vella might be a good format for you. But you have to be prepared to do a lot of self promotion to get the subscribers. I would prefer the whole book in one shot but that’s just me.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 13 2022, 3:56 pm
no. I'd get a few books instead
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club