Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I don't even care about my weight at this point

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 12:45 pm
I'm going through a lot at this moment and I have a tendency to stress eat.

And at this point I don't even care.

So I'll be fat. On the list of the other issues I have going on right now being fat is only a minor concern.

Why should I give up the one thing that can give me a little bit of comfort during a very pressured time?

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 12:48 pm
Because eating is not going to make you feel good for the long run. It will make you feel bad to be fat. Eating is like drugs you will need more and more. I take psychology classes and they found by brain images that overweight people crave food more. I think they got use to eating and crave it more.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 12:50 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I'm going through a lot at this moment and I have a tendency to stress eat.

And at this point I don't even care.

So I'll be fat. On the list of the other issues I have going on right now being fat is only a minor concern.

Why should I give up the one thing that can give me a little bit of comfort during a very pressured time?

I agree with you. I have been going through a very difficult period emotionally (that most of the people around me don’t know about). I had been dieting but at one point I decided that the extra stress wasn’t helpful. I try not to overeat but I do eat what I want, when I want.

ETA other than being obese, I am fairly healthy (my blood work, blood pressure, a1c, etc are all well within normal ranges), if I wasn’t, I’m not sure I would let it go.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 12:51 pm
amother [ Forsythia ] wrote:
I agree with you. I have going through a very difficult period emotionally (that most of the people around me don’t know about). I had been dieting but at one point I decided that the extra stress wasn’t helpful. I try not to overeat but I do eat what I want, when I want.

Just try to eat healthy if you crave sugar eat a banana and than see if you still need the ice cream

Not_in_my_town

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 12:51 pm
So... When I was going through a really stressful period in which I couldn't really function, I had the same thoughts as you, OP.

Now I regret it. I struggled to take off 50 gained pounds recently, and still have another 30 to go.

That extra weight, once compiled, made me feel out of control and unhappy. It really didn't make me feel good.

Overeating is an instant pleasure and a long-term disaster. Not worth it.

Better to work on the pleasure of being in control of yourself. That's a real pleasure.

Wishing you the best as you (hopefully) get through the stress.

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 12:55 pm
amother [ Lightyellow ] wrote:
Just try to eat healthy if you crave sugar eat a banana and than see if you still need the ice cream

So you took one psychology class and now you feel qualified to offer advice? No one has ever successfully told someone to overcome sugar cravings with fruit and have them listen. The want for change has to come from inside, not from other people with different metabolisms and eating habits who think it’s that simple.

amother
Charcoal

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 12:59 pm

LOL

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 12:59 pm
Because you’re the one who will have to pay the price eventually. So treat yourself, but try to limit the treats, make lower calorie choices, and space them out.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 1:06 pm
amother [ Clematis ] wrote:
So you took one psychology class and now you feel qualified to offer advice? No one has ever successfully told someone to overcome sugar cravings with fruit and have them listen. The want for change has to come from inside, not from other people with different metabolisms and eating habits who think it’s that simple.

That’s what I do. Yesterday I really wanted a cake but I forced myself to eat a banana and I felt much better. Than I drank some flavored Icy sparkling water. It works for me. Not all the time but I’m trying

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 2:13 pm
You don’t have to watch what you eat. But educate yourself. It’s better to eat large portions of real food than to binge on sugar, including fruit. The issue isn’t really the weight gain, it’s the health risks that come with binging on sugar.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 2:26 pm
I didn't even mention sugar in my OP. Why is everyone assuming that I'm bingeing on sugar?

I am eating more carbs than usual though.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 2:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I didn't even mention sugar in my OP. Why is everyone assuming that I'm bingeing on sugar?

I am eating more carbs than usual though.

Carbs turn into sugar in your body.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 3:02 pm
OP I am totally with you. I even saw the title and thought how could it be, it's like I wrote it. I think some people really can't understand. I've been overweight almost my whole life and spent countless hours working on it from every angle. For whatever reason, it has never come all the way together and it is much more challenging than the average person. After a period where I was more successful losing some weight than ever before, I hit a very rocky patch of life. Things kept coming at us and I gained back some of the weight. Recently I realized that it takes so much effort and focus for me that it's not realistic and not fair that I've got this background dialogue in my head at all times. I cannot let this be my inner monologue for the rest of my life. I have a lot of things going for me, so what if I'm not thin. So what if I never will be. Maybe I will and maybe I won't but I'm done (for now) with the ups and downs of all the inner psychology and emotional work and self talk and complications of not being able to just cook one dinner for me and my family and be finished. I'm not looking for any advice on dieting or lifestyle changes. I have to know what is right for me and my life. BH I am healthy and active and young. I'm also not bingeing btw and eat a pretty healthy diet that for most people wouldn't be such an issue. Wishing you inner peace. I wish our society wasn't so focused and obsessed with looks and externals.

Editing to add- I think that 'giving up' on weight loss right now doesn't mean that you can't be mindful and still check in to make sure you're not eating in a way that will make you feel really sick or that you're never going to exercise or completely neglect your health. I am trying to change my mindset to being a healthy person as opposed to dropping pounds. And reframing so that instead of 'I failed my goal of losing x pounds over x times' my thought could be 'I gave it a serious try with real effort over x time and this is what happened and how I feel' at least I can say that I really gave it a good go. If I did anything else for that long and it didn't work and made me feel worthless for 'failing' wouldn't I reevaluate that too? We are all given our lot in life. Maybe mine isn't to be a skinny minny and I can be ok with that.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 3:12 pm
amother [ Cinnamon ] wrote:
OP I am totally with you. I even saw the title and thought how could it be, it's like I wrote it. I think some people really can't understand. I've been overweight almost my whole life and spent countless hours working on it from every angle. For whatever reason, it has never come all the way together and it is much more challenging than the average person. After a period where I was more successful losing some weight than ever before, I hit a very rocky patch of life. Things kept coming at us and I gained back some of the weight. Recently I realized that it takes so much effort and focus for me that it's not realistic and not fair that I've got this background dialogue in my head at all times. I cannot let this be my inner monologue for the rest of my life. I have a lot of things going for me, so what if I'm not thin. So what if I never will be. Maybe I will and maybe I won't but I'm done (for now) with the ups and downs of all the inner psychology and emotional work and self talk and complications of not being able to just cook one dinner for me and my family and be finished. I'm not looking for any advice on dieting or lifestyle changes. I have to know what is right for me and my life. BH I am healthy and active and young. I'm also not bingeing btw and eat a pretty healthy diet that for most people wouldn't be such an issue. Wishing you inner peace. I wish our society wasn't so focused and obsessed with looks and externals.

Editing to add- I think that 'giving up' on weight loss right now doesn't mean that you can't be mindful and still check in to make sure you're not eating in a way that will make you feel really sick or that you're never going to exercise or completely neglect your health. I am trying to change my mindset to being a healthy person as opposed to dropping pounds. And reframing so that instead of 'I failed my goal of losing x pounds over x times' my thought could be 'I gave it a serious try with real effort over x time and this is what happened and how I feel' at least I can say that I really gave it a good go. If I did anything else for that long and it didn't work and made me feel worthless for 'failing' wouldn't I reevaluate that too? We are all given our lot in life. Maybe mine isn't to be a skinny minny and I can be ok with that.

This was very good and helpful, thank you.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 3:16 pm
Carbs turn into sugar in your body.
Yes I don’t differentiate between sugar and carbs because for me they are effectively the same thing. I try to fill up on protein and veggies. But that’s because I get addicted to carbs and sugar very easily. If you aren’t the same way then ignore everything I said Wink

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 4:02 pm
I relate. For me to diet and actively try to lose weight, I cannot have significant stressors in my life. Trying to restrict my food, change what I eat, exercise more..... it takes up a HUGE amount of brain space and mental and emotional energy for me. I have done it before- I have lost 70+ pounds 3 times and I am only 28. I just can't do it now. I have too much going on in my life. It is much more pleasant for me to make peace with my body for now and enjoy my life as much as I can. I will lose the weight when I can do it again. And no, I don't know when that will be. And that is ok.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise