Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Childs ear infected from earrings

jewishmom6

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:23 am
Can you tell me what I should do?

My child's ear got in infected from surgical steal earrings. I took the earrings out .
The area by the hole (I cant even see the hole) got all hard, red and now it's crusty.
I so far wash it off with soap/water and bacitracin.

Help!

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:26 am
Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Keep on applying mupirocin, it's stronger than bacitracin, by prescription only. Give it time to heal although I can't guarantee that the hole will not close up. Bhatzlocha!

Last edited by ShishKabob on Mon, May 09 2022, 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total

jewishmom6

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:37 am
ShishKabob wrote:
Sounds like you're don't the right thing. Keep on applying mupirocin, it's stronger than bacitracin, by prescription only. Give it time to heal although I can't guarantee that the hole will not close up. Bhatzlocha!

doing or not doing?

do you think this is something that I shld take her to the doc for?

ShishKabob

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:39 am
oops, sorry, of course you ARE doing the right thing. Total typo. I will correct.
You can call the doctor and ask them to prescribe it. Some doctors will give it without being seen.

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:39 am
In addition to using prescription antibiotic ointment (which would need a pediatrician's prescription), you can also look for plastic earrings with plastic backs in case this is inflammation triggered by a reaction to the metal. That happened to me when I had my ears pierced; every metal caused a reaction. Also check that the earring wasn't tight; if her earlobes are thicker or larger then she may need a special type of earring. Keep them small and lightweight, keep applying ointment daily so that it helps heal and also doesn't get stuck. refuah shelaima!

jewishmom6

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:47 am
amother [ Blushpink ] wrote:
In addition to using prescription antibiotic ointment (which would need a pediatrician's prescription), you can also look for plastic earrings with plastic backs in case this is inflammation triggered by a reaction to the metal. That happened to me when I had my ears pierced; every metal caused a reaction. Also check that the earring wasn't tight; if her earlobes are thicker or larger then she may need a special type of earring. Keep them small and lightweight, keep applying ointment daily so that it helps heal and also doesn't get stuck. refuah shelaima!

I took the earrings out and I cant even get any earrings back in before it got so red!

miami85

Is the hole recently pierced? Within the first year?

I had a situation with my daughter it was after the first 6 weeks but within the first year.

Piercing place said "let it close", my doctor (who I would take with a grain of salt anyway--long story, I didn't trust him) said "let it close", but a tattoo-piercing website said NOT to let it close.

I rinsed it with saline, drained the pus, cleaned it with alcohol, but kept the earring in, and it healed, never let it close.

We did switch it from a stud to a hoop which allowed for better air to flow around the piercing which seemed to help.

jewishmom6

ShishKabob wrote:
oops, sorry, of course you ARE doing the right thing. Total typo. I will correct.
You can call the doctor and ask them to prescribe it. Some doctors will give it without being seen.

thank you!

miami85

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:49 am
Also fwiw, the women in my family tend to have sensitive ears so for a long time I thought I had sensitive ears. I didn't wear earrings for a LONG time b/c it was too complicated and too expensive to have REAL gold earrings. Finally, I decided to try again (after high school when I wanted to look like an adult) and I got some earrings that were hypoallergenic. EVERY. TIME I would put these earrings in, my ears would get red. But I wear all kinds of other, regular metal earrings with no problem. So I don't think my ears are "sensitive" but there was something about these "hypoallergenic" earrings that I was reacting to--go figure.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:52 am
My sis is a pediatrician, and she told me to put a drop of hydrocortisone cream onto same. It worked.

I have found that my kids get this when they wear new earrings, and after a few days with a little hydrocortison cream, their ears adjust and it stops.

mastermom

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 11:53 am
My kids are super sensitive to earrings. If it's not real gold, it has to be a loop earring without a pushback, so that the hole has room to breathe.

I doubt you need a doctor for this. Just put mupirocin/bacitracin a few times a day.

amother
Sage

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 12:06 pm
Hoop earing work best for sensitive ears.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 12:08 pm
I had this when I was 8, years after a piercing. It was from sleeping with it in. We think. (Maybe pushed in too tight?). The hole did not close.

gold21

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 12:10 pm
I personally react to everything less than 14K gold

So 10K gold is out
Silver is out
Surgical steel is out
Any other type of metal is out
Any other material is out

And I have generously passed down this allergy to my own female progeny

My holes closed twice as child
By the third time we had it figured out and that piercing is still in place

SYA

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 12:28 pm
I had this with one child. Pediatrician took it out to heal. After, the Dr said it should have been left in and applied antibiotic cream. At that point it was crusty and we couldn’t get it back in. The hole closed and needed to be pierced again. I never took out the second earring so only one needed to be redone.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 12:38 pm
mastermom wrote:
My kids are super sensitive to earrings. If it's not real gold, it has to be a loop earring without a pushback, so that the hole has room to breathe.

I doubt you need a doctor for this. Just put mupirocin/bacitracin a few times a day.

this. I have way too much experience with this.
I had this all my childhood, and surgical steel earrings was my miracle! But when getting new earrings it must have bacitracin or mupirocin put on twice a day for the first week, and then it's generally all good.
Once infected, I just do the same thing. DO NOT LET IT CLOSE! If you have earrings with a back, replace them with hoops. If you have hoops already, Clean the earring well with alcohol or antibacterial soap. Put it back in gently. then just keep putting ointment on, 2-3 times a day, and it should clear up.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers