Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do your kids drink from stemware at the Shabbos table?
Previous  1  2

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 8:56 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
Why did this get a hug 😂?

Maybe someone just loves that you do that. Smile
Thank you all! I’m glad to see that many people are ok with the kids drinking in stemware.
Somehow I like the look of stemware a lot more than just a glass.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 9:19 pm
My 3 yr old is using stemware.
But I think it depends on we’re they are in the family.
Probably kids 1-4 started at 10. But then the rest just started whenever they wanted.
Not all stemware is expensive.
My opinion is if it breaks it breaks…at least we have a beautiful and happy shabbos table. I’m not going to worry over $1-5.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 07 2022, 9:29 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
My 3 yr old is using stemware.
But I think it depends on we’re they are in the family.
Probably kids 1-4 started at 10. But then the rest just started whenever they wanted.
Not all stemware is expensive.
My opinion is if it breaks it breaks…at least we have a beautiful and happy shabbos table. I’m not going to worry over $1-5.

True, though my concern was more about the mess of broken glass than the money.
I see some on Amazon with good reviews about it being sturdy. Will get one of those.

mizle10

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 6:16 am
Everyone besides for infants get these.
They rarely break

https://www.thebay.com/product......html

Iymnok

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 7:24 am
All kids that can sit at the table use real dishes. Corelle until 5, glass cup at 3, stemware at bar/bat mitzvah. It’s more to do with how much we own rather than maturity.
On pesach everyone had stemware. The adults preferred the glasses.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 8:27 am
While I allow my kids 3 or so and up to use the stemware, I usually prepare a small silver becher by their place. They’re thrilled about it, it doesn’t break easily and it’s just the right amount of drink, while still looking pretty on the table.

shanie5

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 2:59 pm
Age 10 and up get stemware when we use it. I don't remember why we made that rule, but the kids felt very grown up when they finally turned 10. And now the grandkids are looking forward to the "priveledge".

cupcake123

Post Sun, May 08 2022, 3:52 pm
Wow I'm surprised. All my kids get plastic. Maybe I'm not trusting them enough 🤷‍♀️

Aurora

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:47 pm
amother [ Hosta ] wrote:
Age 2? Wow!! My 2 year old was in a highchair today spilling and throwing things and making a mess. Can’t imagine giving him glass or crystal stemware

It's at a point over 2 when I can trust that they will start to be responsible. Every kid is different.

I also used to take away the food and the kid out of the high chair once they started throwing. And, in fairness, I have (pu pu pu!) fairly easy kids.

LK1

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:51 pm
I had stemware for years and when I got a new dishwasher they all started cracking. Now I just use regular glasses that are very nice and I don't have the headache of cracking, buying...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note