Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
RWMO Out of town?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 9:59 pm
Are there out-of-town communities with vibrant, growing populations, cheaper than NYC and the expensive coastal metros, and with separate-gender high schools that are not yeshivish?

Would love to move out of town, but it seems like the MTA/TABC/DRS/Rambam-style school for boys, and the Bruria/Naaleh/Shulamis/SKA-style school for girls, are not very similar to the type of schools (or the type of parent body) that are found in out-of-town communities.

In other words, seeking a place OOT where teenagers are neither frummie nor left-wingers if they end up in YU/Stern.

Suggestions?

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 10:05 pm
Boca has Hadar high school which is similar to the girls high schools you mentioned. Smaller oot communities such as Dallas (which is growing a lot and is no longer “small) has an all girls BY HS but it’s very oot BY, not a true BY.

amother
Silver

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 10:08 pm
How far out of town are we talking? There are many small towns in NJ that are commutable to Bruriah, for example

doctorima

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 10:17 pm
Skokie comes to mind.

amother
Banana

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 10:18 pm
Philly has Hamesivta for boys and KTA for girls.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 10:19 pm
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
Boca has Hadar high school which is similar to the girls high schools you mentioned. Smaller oot communities such as Dallas (which is growing a lot and is no longer “small) has an all girls BY HS but it’s very oot BY, not a true BY.

Interesting. I've spent some time in the Dallas community. What's "not a true BY" about Mesorah?

mha3484

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 10:22 pm
Skokie fits your description very well. Also the northern part of west rogers park in Chicago.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 10:41 pm
amother [ NeonYellow ] wrote:
Interesting. I've spent some time in the Dallas community. What's "not a true BY" about Mesorah?

It’s a BY, but the girls that go are more main stream RWMO, their families would send to ska, or Naaleh if they lived “in town”

amother
Purple

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 12:23 am
Philadelphia.

Zahava94

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:32 am
Here are some options worth looking into:

Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Silver Spring
Richmond
Atlanta
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Detroit
Chicago / Skokie
Milwaukee
Memphis
St Louis
Overland Park / KC
Denver
Dallas
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Seattle

amother
Papayawhip

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:45 am
amother [ Snapdragon ] wrote:
It’s a BY, but the girls that go are more main stream RWMO, their families would send to ska, or Naaleh if they lived “in town”

I think this is true for many oot by.
The hanhala is yeshivish, but the girls are a mix and more towards the Ska Bruriah type.

My rwmo sister moved to Cleveland/ beachwood. She went to stern, husband to landers and are raising their family to be the same.

*edited as Bruriah had been autocorrected

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:53 am
I think you would feel comfortable in TA for boys and bais yaakov for girls in Baltimore. But you definitely wouldn't get MO hashkafa (like in regards to Israel)

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 5:42 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
How far out of town are we talking? There are many small towns in NJ that are commutable to Bruriah, for example

Are any of them growing, thriving, and cheaper than your standard NJ suburb?

amother
Daylily

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 7:31 pm
Zahava94 wrote:
Here are some options worth looking into:

Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Baltimore
Silver Spring
Richmond
Atlanta
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Detroit
Chicago / Skokie
Milwaukee
Memphis
St Louis
Overland Park / KC
Denver
Dallas
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Seattle

In some of those cities, I'd bet OP would send to the community day schools vs. the official MO schools.

amother
Clear

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:01 pm
Edison/Highland Park -semi affordable (depends on where you live) lots of ppl commuting for high school Bruria MTA etc...

amother
Offwhite

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:01 pm
I think Waterbury might fit. Most people aren't going to say they're MO there, but many do identify as just plain frum. I bet if they knew what rwmo is, they'd see it fits their practice and beliefs. But u know how mo is such a dirty term for some due to lack of knowledge. It's a thriving and growing community and still affordable but getting up there. There are people who look, sound, and practice like rwmo (jpf identifiers imo) all the way to people who don't have smartphones to ppl who don't text. It's a mix and everyone is solidly frum. There is a yeshivish contingency too, and it's one community.

You'd be ok for k-8, but for HS there is only a Bais Yaakov and mesivta. Dorming is the norm for many boys in the community. And mta isn't that far and is commutable by public transportation. For girls it's a little harder. If you're willing to send your girl to a BY that promotes careers and college through Jewish schools/programs ok. But if u want a school like SKA or central you'd have to make a difficult commute daily or board. Also if your kids are young, there may be more options when they're ready for HS.

Baltimore might also fit, same way. But they're bigger and more established so the community high schools have a mix of all types.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:05 pm
Skokie and Chicago the MO schools are mixed gender.

mha3484

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:12 pm
Arie Crown is single gender its RWMO. Girls go to hannah sacks and boys to skokie yeshiva.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating