Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you keep the excitement in the mundane?

Hadasah

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:05 pm
Like it's another day with new laundry to wash and new dishes to clean and new meals to cook...
What keeps you motivated, excited, fresh etc??

Edit:
Specifically in these "chores", not in life in general, which of course, every day there's something beautiful...

Would love to hear your outlooks and tips!
Thanks!

zaq

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:08 pm
I don't look for excitement in chores. I take pleasure in the results.

GrowingUp

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:40 pm
One thing that sometimes works for me is when I change my mindset. Instead of “I have to wash the dishes” I say to myself “I get to wash the dishes”. BH we had food to eat, and people that eat it.

I get to do laundry
I get to cook dinner

Baruch HaShem!

liz3210

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 5:55 pm
everytime I do chores at home like cooking, cleaning , laundry . I blast music that Ilove it gives me energy to do the chores , or if I just want to do the chores and relax ,I listen to interesting lechtures about possitive thinking and happy things

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 09 2022, 6:31 pm
Some ideas:
- The famous story of the most important pasuk in the Torah. Not shema, not v'ahvata l'reiacha kamocha, but about the seh hatamid, which was done each time with frishkeit.
- Speaking of which, the kohanim had the holiest avoda, which was pretty nitty gritty. Terumas hadeshen, cleaning blood, etc.
- Sometimes I think about very "glamorous" jobs, like OB - you get to bring life into the world! Yet your typical OB will spend much of the day in the office at regular appointments and we know what they're about.

GREAT responses so far.
- What can also work is being grateful for
- the people to be caring for
- the materials and resources necessary even if not exactly what we'd love
- the physical strength to do it all.

ChalieB

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:04 am
The way I do it is whenever I'm cleaning or doing chores, it's like I'm giving myself them as gifts.
I washed and folded laundry? Wow, look at these awesome clothes I have now! And just my size and style! I did dishes? Now I have all these nice dishes in my drawer waiting for me Smile

Also, sometimes it's nice to be able to feel productive by just starting and finishing a task. House is clean? Good for me, I'm so awesome and productive, such a balabusta Wink

Mommyflower

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 6:54 am
It's difficult to accept that often days blend into each other. Unless you have unlimited funds, you're probably doing lots of boring tasks, but that's life and something you do with love for your family. That's something that I had to explain to my kids and maybe the biggest surprise of being an adult--life is repetitive and sometimes a bit boring. I used to do a summary of the day in my head every night and give myself points for everything I accomplished (carpool, shopping, laundry, errands, cooking, cleaning, etc). It helps to feel you've been productive. I also tried to get in one mitzvah for another person every day (phone call, meal for new baby, helping someone with an errand, etc). Multitasking helps like putting soup on the stove while doing laundry and calling a friend or family member. Some people are really creative and do meal swaps with their friends or cook together. That might mix it up. As my kids got older, I realized that I had a little more time for myself to read or watch something or take a walk with a friend. Ironically, I now work full time but somehow it's not so difficult fitting those things into my day since I don't have little people at home. Good luck and give yourself a little break every once in a while.

essie14

Post Tue, May 10 2022, 8:17 am
I listen to interesting podcasts while I do household chores.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics